• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternative to banners in a school gym?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm in the process of doing high school senior banners. 2'x4' - 13oz with grommets on each corner - about 70 of them done and hung up. Football/band went outside on the fence with zip ties. Some of the others were in the gym, by the pool, etc.

Anyway, I'm on the last batch and one woman wants to change them to something "more professional like a poster".

Notes:
• They are going to be hung in the gym
• I order all my printed good out

A couple thoughts I had:

• Signs365 has a no-curl banner? - this seems unrealistic to me
• Printed on foam board and attached with 3M tape on the 4 corners?

De.signs Nanaimo

I would try to sell them on the reusability of banners, as opposed to foam board, but that is probably the best option for ease of installation, maybe banner with no grommets?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the years, I've seen various ways to hang signs and banners in gyms with different results. However, one if the best was..... we made banners on 13oz material with pole pockets top & bottom and double hemmed along the sides. They were sewn. A cable was stretched from one end of the gym to the other and the banners hung on it with lightweight chain in the bottom pocket. Another place had a cable stretched both top and bottom and was put up in the same fashion as a street banner. They had some kinda opening mechanism at one end for adding more banners. Like a quick release of some sort. To me, the tape and velcro is more unprofessional than doing it correctly with cables.

rjssigns

"More professional like a poster"...LOL. Since you sub out get this: Matte flatbed print on foam pvc.

My in house method: Print on 3640 matte then apply to foam pvc. Nice high end look.

highrolling24

I had a customer that did not want the banner look so my rep turned me onto some stuff called
pop-up I think it is the same stuff mentioned above that is smooth and curl free (which it still curls a little) but looks real nice and smooth, its not a pure white though but looks real nice and will not rip. I print pictures for car guys to put in the garage that they can just wipe down the picture if it gets dusty or dirty works good looks nice.

Attachments

• IMG_2255.jpg
    IMG_2255.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 177

JamesLam

We offer a few scaled up versions of plak mounting called flush mounts and float mounts. The main caveat would be that plaks etc. are mounted directly to the wall where banners can be hung pretty well anywhere.

Billct2

We did a big project last year replacing existing banners and adding new ones in a high school gym These were wall mounted. They wanted to get away from the banner look so we went with PVC. Looked great.

brentjosker

i used to do all the sports boards for over a dozen high schools in Western New york, we went with sheets of 4mil sintra, you can get them in whatever color you want. we would average about 40 sports board between the gym and the pool area, (sectional championship boards and pool record boards. We would put black strip of velcro on the back and stick them to the wall.
We found over time they would fall off due to the excessive heat from the school staff cranking up the heat overnight, especially in the pool. so we returned and put 1 hit pin in each top corner to keep them in place, worked like a charm
We were also asked to supply cloth banners to the schools but after further research , school wouldnt allow them unless they met certain fire resistance criteria. So just be careful. Good Luck!

Stacey K

I like making signs
These are all great ideas! I'm going to look at the cost difference for these options as the banners are temporary and the kids will be taking them home at the end of the school year. However - for any future banners I think these ideas of using pvc is a MUCH better, and way better looking than a banner!

AndersHerp

Something, something Dark Side
We've used vinyl (cut or full color printed on white) on ACM panels. I actually have 3 out in the hallway waiting on one of the local High Schools to come pick them up