• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another "Got to love customers"

tsgstl

I stated in another thread about this odd new customer we have. He was referred to me by one of our top customers so I have been as accepting of his oddness as possible. He is a middle guy for another company that the signs were made for. Prior to today he has been sending me random emails that his lunch just showed up and two word completely random quotes. I have been getting no exaggeration at least 10 emails a day from this guy. I have a handful of signs we made one being a 4'x8' composite sign. He asks me yesterday if I think his wifes equinox would haul it. I actually have another delivery in his area so I told him if he had the check ready I would deliver and pick up the check for no cost. He already has 2 other orders in the works so I figured it really is no extra work for me to do him this favor. Anyway he tells me his "quickbooks person" wont be able to get me a check today. So I tell him to just let me know when the check is ready and we can work out the delivery then.
He then sends me this email:

"I can check on check but I would like product there
Monday. XXXXXXX would you please let Brian know we keep several hundred thousand dollars in our bank account and have been with XXXXX bank going on 12 years."

I X'd out the bank and his secretaries name

The reason we are strict about this is because a very famous "quick lube" type business gave us so much trouble for years and they had Millions in their bank. We do have several accounts set up with long lasting customers, but never on the first order especially when the total is over $1000.

Good lord I just got a email from the girl who I assumed was his secretary but it turns out it is his personal banker confirming that they are a "excellent clients of the bank"

tattoo.dan

Awesome! You go from doing him a favor by offering to deliver and pick up check, to "they need that sign by this date and will get you a check when their quickbooks gal gets back".....gotta love those deals!

wmshuman

I been following your posts about this customer. They are pretty funny. Hopefully he stays a customer cause I'm anxious to see what he will do next.

:goodpost:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We had a customer like this years ago. Turned out they were indeed.... a multi-multi million dollar company. We did a few things for them and usually got paid within our terms.
Then one time, they ordered a whole lot and I again asked for the deposit. This one was hefty.
His comeback was...... why do you need a deposit ??
Well, to finance your job. I can't, so in order to keep your costs down, we expect you to finance your own job.
Are you serious ?? Do you know how big we are and how much our company is worth ?? Don't you think we're gonna pay our bills ??
Why yes. I know you're a huge company and have lotsa money and I know you're gonna pay your bills.... I never doubted any of those facts, but you see..... I'm a little company and I can't afford to finance your big company with all the money you have and I don't have.
So..... would you please send a deposit or I'll hafta say no to your job.
Are you that big that you don't need our business ??
Nope, I'm that small that I can't afford to be your bank for this much money. Good Day.

tsgstl

It's just the principle more than anything. Like "I'm the bad guy" If I tell him no please pay me. And to have his personal banker email me to "prove himself" erks me. One of the first few emails he wanted our fax #. I told him it died a couple years ago and we just couldn't see the point in keeping a fax line. He proceeded to tell me how many thousands of $ a week he gets from having a fax #. In my head I was thinking... Yeah, point being?

TheSnowman

The people who have screwed me and others in our group of family run businesses were always the "big guy with lots of money". They're no better cause they close the doors 10X faster than the little guy running out of money. You'd think instead of wasting a few hours calling bankers and credit people to prove to you that they're good for it, he'd just get the check considering you already did the work.

People amaze me.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Nope, I'm that small that I can't afford to be your bank for this much money. Good Day.

And I second that!

D&Tgraphics

We have a sign on our counter that says "Please understand that we are not a bank and cannot finance your business".

bernie

Good topic ... for the time it took the 'personal banker' to contact you ... they could
have cut a check and had it waiting.

Not all big companies with lots of $$ in the bank pay their invoices in a timely manner.

Bernie

tsgstl

Edit:
Sorry it just didn't set right with me sharing our private discussions.

Last edited:

briankb

Premium Subscriber
That's a good reply, keep it professional. I doubt he has that ability, considering his previous emails.

You should try to realize that this guy would rather argue that he is right than try to understand your point of view.

weaselboogie

I always state that I need the deposit to purchase material and etc on the off chance that people think that I can magically crap their signs out of thin air. Keep in mind that many people have NO CLUE how the world works and don't understand that materials need to be purchased , employees and bills need to be paid to produce their project.

tsgstl

In my last post I basically cut and paste our conversation back and forth. Then I felt "icky" for sharing our emails, so i deleted. It's not that I have a problem sharing it with you guys, that's why I did it. Who else am I going to tell. But this is a public forum and I didn't want this thread to represent how I feel about customers.

He basically wasn't happy I was wanting my check when I delivered the work, even though I wussied out and said I would still deliver if it caused a problem with his customer.
So then I explained how I would of normally collected 50% down, a delivery fee and computer time. I also told him I was sorry he felt like I mislead him.

He let me know this morning he appreciated me waiving the fees and I would have a check Monday.

We have all had guys like this, the main reason I have tried to be as understanding as possible with him is because there is one main difference with this guy. He has never once complained about pricing. My best customers are middle guys, they are like a salesman working for me with no overhead.

Techman

The last time I allowed a referral to have a break. The last time I broke my own rule of every one pays. The referral ripped me for $500 bux. Every one pays something. Or they get nothing.

No one gets a break any more. They make a partial payment before I get started.

401Graphics

The last time I allowed a referral to have a break. The last time I broke my own rule of every one pays. The referral ripped me for $500 bux. Every one pays something. Or they get nothing.

No one gets a break any more. They make a partial payment before I get started.

:goodpost:

Billct2

When I request a deposit I don't explain that I need it for materials, it doesn't matter why I need it, it's "just company policy". Making business so "personal" isn't always a good idea.

tsgstl

Yeah I see no reason explaining policies. Although there is certain customers that you can tell appreciate personal connections. And usually those types are loyal and long lasting. I have no problem with sharing personal information with certain customers and even more so suppliers.