• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Advice comments or direction

DigitalDot

I just moved to Honolulu from Alaska (couldn't get my fiance to move from Hawaii..go figure.) Because the sign/banner/graphics business is very saturated on this island, I have decided to focus on wraps. Other than a two day class offered by 3M, and watching every instructional DVD I could find, I do not have any experience in wrapping vehicles. I have a few grand put aside for materials to do some practice wraps. The plan is to wrap a few different types of vehicles for free to get the learning curve cut back, and help with my speed.
Here is what I do know
I have over a decade in the print/graphic/sign business. Outdoor signs were cut vinyl, or printed on an hp 5500 then over laminated.
I am very comfortable with illustrator, photoshop, corel, and gerber software.
Here is what I don’t know..(sit down and put your feet up)
How well do roland soljets print? I am thinking of the 64 inch model.
How big of an issue is banding? How hard is it to correct?
How wide is the ‘actual color gamut? What color(s) can’t it print. (my HP had problems with blue)
Are eco solvents as brilliant as regular solvents?
What type of routine maintenance does it require? Is it excessive or normal.
What does it do really well, and what is it that it can’t it do, period..Regardless of what the tech says…
I would also have all of the same questions for a Mutoh valuejet. But when I spoke with a rep at sign warehouse she stated that I would not get any type of warranty support because I lived Hawaii. I have emailed Mutoh directly to make sure of this, but I haven’t heard anything back. Assuming I can get warranty support, which would machine would you prefer?
I am also looking into a dye sublimation printer in addition to a solvent based printer. I would like to be able to apply graphics to tiles, marble, etc..I don’t know anything about that type of process so any info or links would be great.
I have a ton more questions regarding shop space, materials (3M vs Oracal), ventilation, software (bad wraps vs Custom vehicle outline, and I will measure ALL vehicles), Is roland university worth the trouble? etc etc etc.but I don’t want to overstay my welcome.
I have/and will check all past threads, but any advice or info you could throw my way would be appreciated.
Thanks
Oh and what about pricing???
Thank you Thank you

Pro Image

Howdee from VA..............
Thats a laundry list of thing you got there...........

If you really want to get into Sub-lamanition you have two choices.......A Epson inkjet printer and a few lazer printers..........

As for the Roland Soljets they are fine machines..........

More people will chime in with the rest............I don't have a solvent printer.......

Good luck..........

You might want to look up Doug at Island Signs..........He is a member here

ISign is his handle..............

Techman

ISign posts here, he is over your way on maui,, Maybe you both could team up with a mutual benfit plan.
I would persue that plan in a heart beat.

DigitalDot

66% of posters agree...Those are darn near "dentist odds"
I know good advice when I get it.
I have emailed Isigns and I am hoping he finds me worthy enough for his time. :)
I have been reading back threads for a couple of days now, and have learned alot.

Thanks in advance, I am sure you guys will be answering a whole bunch of questions.

Sinjin

iSign

just replied to your email not knowing why you were referred to me... but I see you are in the islands ...and new in the islands. Now I get it.

I had a guy in here today looking to get a wrap installed asap... on a van. He only needs the install, because he is a new franchisee & the 3m graphics (with comply adhesive) were already shipped to him. He was shocked that I thought I might need 15 hours (at $80 an hour) to do the install... so he may be looking for alternatives. I have his number. Might be worth a $100 plane ticket to Maui & a cheap room in a hostel.

DigitalDot

Thanks for thinking of me...But with only now, two wraps under my belt, I don't think I will do it with less than 15 hours either. However, I don't have any problem giving out free or discounted labor in exchange for a learning experience.

Sinjin