• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody with DIY media basket or a cheap one for sale?

doktorek

I have a small 24" cutter and I was wondering if I can add a media basket. Anybody made one themselves? Maybe links to some cheap ones out there? BTW, what fabric best to use? Do I need a fabric, maybe just simple backing paper.
I jsut dont want my vinyl to get dirty on some of the longer stuff I cut. Just looking for some ideas

I figure I can make something like you see below with some brackets from HD.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 564

tulsagraphics

This is what I made for my Graphtec plotter about 9 years ago:
- metal conduit (shaped with pipe bender), rubber grommets / end caps from Lowe's
- custom plastic bracket (black engraved acrylic + heat gun for bending)
- a few yards of fabric from Hobby Lobby, stitched on my sewing machine (w/ velcro)

Attachments

• chrome_nx2xwjDqtj.png
    chrome_nx2xwjDqtj.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 193
  • chrome_qLKLXLO9CK.jpg
    chrome_qLKLXLO9CK.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 193

doktorek

- metal conduit (shaped with pipe bender), rubber grommets / end caps from Lowe's
- a few yards of fabric from Hobby Lobby, stitched on my sewing machine (w/ velcro)
Wow, not bad.
Im thinking maybe drawer slides and connected with some sort of pipe or stick

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Some PVC pipe, fittings, glue, banner material or other fabric, and some snaps. It shouldn't take an hour or two to design and create just what you need.

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Thanks for this, I need to build a couple for the shop! I tried using pvc pipes in the past and they just didn't have the strength. I like your design much better, looks solid.

tulsagraphics

Thanks for this, I need to build a couple for the shop! I tried using pvc pipes in the past and they just didn't have the strength. I like your design much better, looks solid.
Thanks! I modeled it from Graphtec's older designs. Quick tip: If you use the same materials I did... maybe do away with the rubber grommets so the rods will slide in/out more easily. Mine were a little snug so I had to keep them greased.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks! I modeled it from Graphtec's older designs. Quick tip: If you use the same materials I did... maybe do away with the rubber grommets so the rods will slide in/out more easily. Mine were a little snug so I had to keep them greased.

Good to know, thanks for the tip!

johnnysigns

We used a banner,wooden dowels and we taped in a piece of 6mm PVC that was Vshaped with notches to capture the dowels.

netsol

Get some electrical conduit and an old banner.
You're a genius! i was lazy, didn't bother to find the conduit bender. i had 3 lengths of 10' on the shelf
i just had to dig up 8 elbows, and took 5' of canvas (the kind for you sail boat, not the kind we print on

i love it. not every job needs the automatic takeup reel