• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone here have the Jv5? Thoughts on it?

ScotJ

I'm looking at getting one of these machines and I wanted your input on it?

I don't necessarily need it to run that fast - but a bit faster than my JV33 would be nice.

Are you able to notice much banding with it even when a few nozzles aren't firing? With that being said - how well does the clogged nozzle sensor work at eliminating banding even when a few nozzles go down?

Also, when printing on adhesive vinyl - high quality mode (say 1440dpi) would is a resaonable speed you can get without any quality issues?

Thanks in advance!

gabagoo

everything I seem to read in here on that machine spells trouble from what I can tell. Better have a back up machine for insurance

ScotJ

Yea, I've read some good and bad. Particularly on the ink drying issue.

what other issues have you heard of?

WDP

We have quite a few friends with experience with them and they all say the samething.
- Impressive speed
- but too fast for its own good

nate

We twice had one for a day. The first machine arrived from the factory trashed-- never got a chance to even get it in the building. The second machine would not print out of head three. The tech spent a good day with Mimaki trying to get it to work before declaring it a dud, putting it back in the crate and taking it back. We never tried a third one.

thewood

We have quite a few friends with experience with them and they all say the samething.
- Impressive speed
- but too fast for its own good

That's all I've heard, too. The general consensus is that it is a dud model. I'd stick to the JV3 and JV33.

Robert72

Nope, I've also heard horror stories about the JV33. Better you could buy a Roland or if you have the knowledge and a near and reliable technical support, a JV5.

I'm sure that my only problems with the JV5 are due to the lack of warranty and technical support in Spain.

When it runs it's a fast fast machine and it prints with a quality that equals to the Roland Versacamm or even better, but it's a picky machine and it looks like Mimaki is always upgrading certaing parts (I say "it looks" because I've never obtained a repply nor a visit from the Digidelta techs (the Portugal and Spain importers for Mimaki)

WDP

I love it - people are so split on this machine.

I agree with the second half of this "people are so split on this machine".

As a Wholesale company its to risky for us to have a 50/50 chance of being up or down. Generally Mimaki is kind of a safe purchase, but lately IDK. I also heard the same about their flatbed as well.

mimakitech24

The first JV-5's had their rough patch, since the release of the first batch, new fco's have been put on the newer machines and we have not had a problem with any of the new ones that we have sold...also, once we put the fco's on the older ones, we have not had any problems with them. I must say, when these machines are running properly...they are outstanding in both production and quality...:thumb:

eforer

Nope, I've also heard horror stories about the JV33. Better you could buy a Roland or if you have the knowledge and a near and reliable technical support, a JV5.

I'm sure that my only problems with the JV5 are due to the lack of warranty and technical support in Spain.

When it runs it's a fast fast machine and it prints with a quality that equals to the Roland Versacamm or even better, but it's a picky machine and it looks like Mimaki is always upgrading certaing parts (I say "it looks" because I've never obtained a repply nor a visit from the Digidelta techs (the Portugal and Spain importers for Mimaki)

Versacamm over a JV33?!?! IMO the JV33 is a vastly superior machine. Faster, significantly better image quality, built like a tank, better inks, more robust ink system. The list goes on and on. Mimaki really builds a much more robust machine.

Robert72

Please MimakiTech, could you elaborate a little more about what's an FCO? I need to know it because my JV5 was installed in november last year. I received an upgrade for some pieces just behind the cartridges, but from a third party technician. I'd like to know how to ask it to Digidelta.

I never found the way for the Digidelta Technicians to come home and review the machine. I'm very disappointed by their customer support. They sold and they disappeared. At least, if you buy a Roland, you can find a technician easily, or even yourself can do some basic tech tasks, but Mimaki is another story.
Thanks and best regards,
Robert.

PS: Eforer, I was meaning a Roland machine like a Pro III XJ-640, not a Versacamm, when comparing to JV33.

mimakitech24

an FCO stands for a "Field Change Order", which basically means, (we designed this part of the machine incorrectly, and doing this will fix it)...this will be a free part and we charge no labor to put these in as they are considered a warranty replacement...every machine and every company goes through this, as most machines are rushed into production from higher ups...etc

The FCO you got for your machine is a VERY important one as a machine as early as yours...did not have the required support behind the cartridges...

One thing i love about the company i work for is, we may be a little more expensive to start, but once you buy a machine from us, aside form the warranty, you get our direct cell numbers, in which we are available 24/7...profile support for any Mimaki machine, and installation and training with your machine...
You should understand not every company operates in the lack luster way of service that you got yours...I am not bashing anyone, as I'm sure you got a "great price"...but as the saying goes..you usually get what you pay for...
I hope this helped!

ScotJ

Well I couldn't let the deal pass - Put down the deposit and I'm going to get the machine this week. Got a CG-160 cutter with it as well. I'm going to keep my Jv33 for the time being as a back-up, but might sell it once I build up a comfort level with this new machine.

Cheers!

ScotJ

We're getting it from Ben Sak in New York city.

Its a dealer trade in, but its had all the upgrades done to it necessary.