• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone Know Small Outboards?

HaroldDesign

I realize this is not a boating forum and I do have this question on one, but I know there's some fisherman on here that might know about this sort of thing!

I purchased a 7.5 merc this week and replaced the impeller. While I went inside to get the info i needed to know I was in the correct shift positions my magic hands neighbor got the lower unit on, and it was stuck in forward. Dropped it and got it where it seems correct (the shaft keys match), but it doesn't seem right to me. I haven't tried running it in the tub yet, and here is how it stands;

Shift control Forward = Prop clicks clockwise & No counterclock
Shift control Neutral = Spins free both ways
Shift control reverse = No either way

Is this right?...

FatCat

Hard to tell, but if it is already assembled you should be able to "gently" pull the pull starter with the spark plug(s) removed while it is in gear and see the prop spin F/R or not at all for neutral.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You can call my good buddy John 714-381-0424 he is a great boat mechanic that will probably be able to let you know what your looking for. Tell him Josh sent ya

HaroldDesign

Thanks guys. I'm going to fire it up when I get home. I'm pretty sure it's correct, but it's hard to figure these marine engines. The gearing in these things is simple genius in a very small space.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not quite sure, but if you don't use a cast engine with the matching laminate, I'd imagine you'll sink at about the middle of the lake due to application failure and not enough double sided tape on the backside. Next time get one from NGlantz or Advantage. Don't use the A V E R Y crap.

HaroldDesign

Not quite sure, but if you don't use a cast engine with the matching laminate, I'd imagine you'll sink at about the middle of the lake due to application failure and not enough double sided tape on the backside. Next time get one from NGlantz or Advantage. Don't use the A V E R Y crap.
I hope you're not right. The housing is calendared steel and the prop has a glossy finish. No wonder it seemed like such a good deal! :frustrated:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
not quite sure, but if you don't use a cast engine with the matching laminate, i'd imagine you'll sink at about the middle of the lake due to application failure and not enough double sided tape on the backside. Next time get one from nglantz or advantage. Don't use the a v e r y crap.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

SignsonTime

I have a 7.5 Merc that I use as a kicker. I replaced the impeller last year and had some of the same issues that you stated getting gears right. If you move the shaft that runs to lower unit it will change gear setting. With a couple attempts I got it right.

Typestries

Pull da plugs (it will pull easier w no compression) pop it in gear and give it a pull. Do both forward and reverse. Otherwise you'll toast your lower unit and maybe the powerhead too if its wrong, its running, and you shift it.

HaroldDesign

Thanks guys. I got it put back together correctly and took out over the weekend. I think it just needs a general tune-up now. The water-pump now works beautifully. The thing that concerns me now is that it slipped out of forward into neutral and back while cruising full throttle. Ugh...