• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apparently my personal information has a price tag of $12! ~ now what?

GypsyGraphics

For the last two weeks we've been inundated with phone calls... no so much solicitors or telemarketers... more like every college on the planet and insurance companies.

We already screen our calls, but when the majority of calls last week, were for Little Cindy Loo Who, from colleges saying they'd like to discuss her college application... i started picking up the phone.

Turns out every caller has had our correct last name, address, phone number and general income! When i picked up the phone, mid-call, they all say hello Cindy, we've been trying to reach you about such-n-such." When i tell them there is now and never has been a Cindy at this address, without fail, they've all been very polite and offer to remove our information from their list.

Here's the interesting part... Friday a guy calls and says he has an insurance quote for Cindy and starts to rattle of prices. I pick up the phone and ask him what information he had, that enabled him to quote insurance on my home. Like the others, he was very apologetic.... aaaand not only did he tell me what info he had but he told me where he got it and how much he paid for it!!!

He said our particular lead was considered very reliable and the company they bought it from charges $12 PER LEAD! Considering the calls we've gotten just this week... this company had made some decent coin giving out my info alone.

So, now i have the name and email address of the company selling my info. My first thought was to email them, but i'm afraid contacting them via email will just give them more information to add to their list.

I'm at a loss... is there an organization somewhere that i can report this to? Or do i risk making it worse by calling the company themselves?

Last edited:

Locals Find!

You can put yourself and anyone else on the FCC's DO NOT CALL list.

That will slow it down. As long as they remove you from the list there is nothing you can do to the individual callers as long as they don't call twice.

Techman

call yoru states aty general about it. IT will soon stop when a cpmlaint is filed.

When I moved here. The same crap relentless started. I contacted teh atty general and made an online complaint at every call. Now I have peace.

GypsyGraphics

You can put yourself and anyone else on the FCC's DO NOT CALL list.
That will slow it down. As long as they remove you from the list there is nothing you can do to the individual callers as long as they don't call twice.
I did put myself on that list a few years ago, maybe it needs to be re-done every so often.
Thats Scary, are they calling your cellphone? cuz u can block those calls.
So far, looks like they just have my home phone number.

Locals Find!

If your on the Do Not Call list. Then you need to call the phone company and get a list of all the calls and report them to the FCC. You can pursue legal action against each and every person that called you and the company that distributed your number.

Get a good Attorney and start planning for that New Equipment and Vacation you have been always wanting.

I ran a phone room about 12 years ago and remember how often we got sued and how much we paid out well before the Do Not Call list was in place.

Your going to be very happy that your name got sold for that $12. Last time we were sued we had to pay out over $50,000 to one individual because, we didn't remove her from our list and called her twice. Was a simple computer error. That costs us a fortune.

In your case you weren't ever supposed to be called.

Good Luck!!!

GypsyGraphics

I never would have thought to call the Attorney General's Office.
Thanks for the tip Techman... will do Monday!
I wonder with Tuesday's election if i'll even be able to get through?

GypsyGraphics

Seriously Adtechia LLC????

No wonder everyone seems so polite, offering to take me off their list, without me even asking!!!

I know i've had multiple messages left by the same institution, but no second calls from anyone i've spoken to.

I can't even imagine going after a school institutions just trying to drum up enrollment but....
I sure would like to make this stop if i could, and would LOVE to see the company distributing my info, get a good smack down!

Last edited:

Locals Find!

Seriously Adtechia LLC????

No wonder everyone seems so polite, offering to take me off their list, without me even asking!!!

I know i've had multiple messages left by the same institution, but no second calls from anyone i've spoken to.

I can't even imagine going after a school institutions just trying to drum up enrollment but....
I sure would like to make this stop if i could, and would LOVE to see the company distributing my info, get a good smack down!

Oh, I am very serious. They really screwed the pooch selling your info with out doing their due diligence.

Sue em all and pay for your daughters college and everything else you have been busting your hump for. You hit the lottery on this one.

Flame

Oh, I am very serious. They really screwed the pooch selling your info with out doing their due diligence.

Sue em all and pay for your daughters college and everything else you have been busting your hump for. You hit the lottery on this one.

Got scrupples?

Locals Find!

Got scrupples?

What does scrupples have to do with any of this. She would be enforcing her legal rights in this situation. She did not request these phone calls. She even stated she even put herself on the Do Not Call list.

She deserves compensation for this violation of her privacy and her rights. Since the law dictates the level of compensation she may be entitled too.

What is wrong if she chooses to go after that compensation.

Flame

What does scrupples have to do with any of this. She would be enforcing her legal rights in this situation. She did not request these phone calls. She even stated she even put herself on the Do Not Call list.

She deserves compensation for this violation of her privacy and her rights. Since the law dictates the level of compensation she may be entitled too.

What is wrong if she chooses to go after that compensation.

You actually believe all that huh?

Stealth Ryder

Phone numbers are out there for anyone who wants them... Once they call and you tell them to never call again, you then you have a case... After spending a career in the intelligence community I learned to get as far away from the normal as possible. Use LLCs and work for someone else as it is seen on paper... I own my company and reap the benefits as an owner but am an employee like any other on paper... My phones, vehicle, etc are all tied to the company... They will find you and will tax you if they can associate you with any money found... Dissacoiate yourself with the shell company for who, you are employeed... They will keep calling but just hang up, you are merely an employee... You can sue, but will most likely loose... Telephone numbers are a matter of public records these days, like it or not... They will always call, even if you are on the NO CALL list....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Phone numbers are out there for anyone who wants them... Once they call and you tell them to never call again, you then you have a case... After spending a career in the intelligence community I learned to get as far away from the normal as possible. Use LLCs and work for someone else as it is seen on paper... I own my company and reap the benefits as an owner but am an employee like any other on paper... My phones, vehicle, etc are all tied to the company... They will find you and will tax you if they can associate you with any money found... Dissacoiate yourself with the shell company for who, you are employeed... They will keep calling but just hang up, you are merely an employee... You can sue, but will most likely loose... Telephone numbers are a matter of public records these days, like it or not... They will always call, even if you are on the NO CALL list....

This has got to be a bunch of bunk.............. who in the world... making a career out of intelligence would ever turn to sign-making as a follow up ?? :ROFLMAO:

I call 'FOUL' !! :supersmilie: