• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Application Roller For Existing Table. Any Ideas?

buggyjr12

I've searched other articles on here and I haven't really found what I'm looking for. I'm tired of mounting vinyl onto 4'x8' (or 4'x10', 4'x12') ACM panels by hand and I don't have room for a regular application table. My current table is 6'x12' with a self-healing mat. I've seen some videos where you tear apart a Chinese laminator and mount some rails on the sides of the table, etc., and that was my plan. It seems fairly simple. The problem is, my table is 72" wide and the widest laminator I can find is 63". Plus, the table is really nice so I don't want to slice a piece off just to accommodate the width of the laminator. I'd rather have the roller accommodate the table. The actual rubber part doesn't need to be 72", just the gantry. The rails could be mounted on the sides or the underside of the table top because there's an overhang. The easiest thing to do would be just to extend the "axle"(?) that goes through the center of the rubber roller but since I don't want to tear my current laminator apart I don't know if that's feasible. Anybody have experience with this?

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
I've searched other articles on here and I haven't really found what I'm looking for. I'm tired of mounting vinyl onto 4'x8' (or 4'x10', 4'x12') ACM panels by hand and I don't have room for a regular application table. My current table is 6'x12' with a self-healing mat. I've seen some videos where you tear apart a Chinese laminator and mount some rails on the sides of the table, etc., and that was my plan. It seems fairly simple. The problem is, my table is 72" wide and the widest laminator I can find is 63". Plus, the table is really nice so I don't want to slice a piece off just to accommodate the width of the laminator. I'd rather have the roller accommodate the table. The actual rubber part doesn't need to be 72", just the gantry. The rails could be mounted on the sides or the underside of the table top because there's an overhang. The easiest thing to do would be just to extend the "axle"(?) that goes through the center of the rubber roller but since I don't want to tear my current laminator apart I don't know if that's feasible. Anybody have experience with this?
If you are looking for more of a retofit, i am sure parts from application table glide beams can be purchased on their own.
Even ones with 1.7m width could have the sides of the glide beam assemblies modified with some brackets or different style of shoulder/flange bearing assemblies.
then you could accommodate some of the more standard application roller bars.
just some thoughts.

unclebun

The Big Squeegee requires a little practice to get the touch just right, but works well once you have it figured out. Just realize that it does require a little bit of setup and practice and finesse, unlike the way the videos portray where it looks like you can just slam through everything in two seconds.

rjssigns

Two sets of these from Amazon will get you 10 feet. Happybuy Linear Rail HSR15-1500mm, 2pcs Linear Guideway Rail,4X Square Type Carriage Bearing Blocks,Linear Rail Support for 15mm Slotted Bearings
But before you get too deep you need to make sure your table is dead flat and that means the diagonals too. Close ain't gonna cut it. Just ask the folks here that found that out the hard way with their roller tables.
Of course there's the issue of uprights. They can be billet or welded but the welded uprights need to be machined AFTER welding. This ensures all mounting. surfaces are square and parallel.

Do a little research and look for manufacturers of nip rolls and associated equipment. It would be beneficial to buy a complete solution that only requires you bolt in place and dial it in.
You can go with Delrin slide "bearings" in a channel or gear style. Delrin slides would work a treat for your application.

I used to build nip roll equipment for paper processing/converting and you can't half-a$$ any of it. If you do you will have nothing but problems.

Could write a book about the equipment, set up and required tolerances.

buggyjr12

This is exactly what I'm looking for...

They seem to be out of business though (if it ever was a business). Does anyone know anything about the EZ Roller or the people who built it?

buggyjr12

I've tried to contact them via their website and their domain registrar but no luck. It seems they've just vanished.

buggyjr12

I'm still looking for a solution to my applicator table needs. Because of space limitations, I need to retrofit an applicator to my existing work table. I bought the "self-made roller" plans online and it gives very detailed instructions. However, I have no experience with things like this. I'm located in Central Pennsylvania. Does anyone know who might be able to build me something off-site using these instructions if I give them the exact dimensions of my table? I can get all the parts (from Germany) from the guy that sells the instructions. I know you can get nip rollers from China for way less but I see that there are many different kinds. Any suggestions? My table is already pretty flat and square and I have a roll laminator to laminate with, so I'd only use it to mount vinyl to rigid substrates. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

garyroy

I remember when that guy came out with the EZ Roller.
There was another guy who came out with one at the same time called the Rogue Roller. It was a very nice build and was somewhere around 6K.
I don't know if any trademark infringements were filed.
At the time RollsRollers were running 12K or 13K.
RollsRoller endured, great product, great distribution, they did lots of trade shows. Thats what makes the difference.

buggyjr12

I remember when that guy came out with the EZ Roller.
Do you remember who the guy was? My internet stalking skills aren't the best but I've searched high and low and can't figure it out. He's obviously not in business anymore but I'm hoping that for the right amount of $$$ he'd consider building me a one-off.

garyroy

I don't remember any details about him, I only know what was on the video when I saw it almost 10 years ago.
There's a lot of handy guys and gals in America, and when they see something really cool they often run off and build a like model
for themselves. Then they get the hot idea to start building and selling. Sorry to say 99% fall by the wayside. It's a tough world out there. When they get into
the business end of making and selling things, they find that's not what their skill really is.

dypinc

What laminator do you already have?

You can do the exact same thing with a regular lamination and a whole lot more and with lot more control . I have never really understood the fascination with flatbed laminating tables unless except for special applications to take the load off a regular laminator. They seem so limited to what you can do compared to a regular laminator, and as you said they take a lot more space.

buggyjr12

What laminator do you already have?

You can do the exact same thing with a regular lamination and a whole lot more and with lot more control . I have never really understood the fascination with flatbed laminating tables unless except for special applications to take the load off a regular laminator. They seem so limited to what you can do compared to a regular laminator, and as you said they take a lot more space.

I have a roll laminaor that I keep loaded with material all the time. If I want to apply a print to a rigid substrate I need to unload the laminator (which means I need to re-load it afterwards which is a pain in the butt). Also, I've found that the laminator likes to bend things, especially coroplast. Also, it's hard to wrangle around 4x8 sheets of aluminum or alumacore by yourself (being careful not to gouge the rollers) in the roll laminator. I've tried it in the past and went back to applying by hand with application fluid. My table is 6'x12' and is slightly higher than normal (I'm 6'2" and don't like to lean over all day) so it's hard to reach all the way across a 4'x8'.

DrunknMonk

just buy a cheap laminator, put a table in front & behind it to catch the materials, trying to build an app table will be hard work to get everything square & getting the pressure even, laminators already have this built in, ideally you want one that also does reverse

netsol

i bought some used warehouse conveyor sections
they can be setup in front & behind any of our laminators, or when i want to pass a sheet of polystyrene through one of the solvent printers, or can be used with our table saw. very versatile