• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying digi print to MDO

JoySigns

Ok, I feel silly having to ask this but...can I apply a digital print to primed MDO or must it be painted first? :banghead:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think just about everybody does it straight onto the primed board. In a pinch, so have we. However, for the best adhesion, you should have at least one good top coat.... if not two.

Primer is a very porous medium. Most vinyls stick best when applied to a non-porous substrate.

You do the math.

MikePro

priming seals it enough for me! for an extra 15bux I can order my sheets painted rather than just primed, but I've never had an issue.

k.a.s.

I agree with Gino, I always paint the board just like I would if I were going to apply cut vinyl letters.

Kevin

ChicagoGraphics

I only buy prepainted mdo now. I use to mount digital prints onto primed mdo all the time till a customer told me he saw his sign and it was a blank, the print just fell off. I learned my lesson, pay the xrta few dollars and get the painted mdo or paint it yourself.

Baz

At least one top coat for good adhesion and longevity. I paint all my boards in-house. Don't trust the pre-painted stuff. I had to many bad experiences a few years back to ever trust it again.