• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are you out of your mind....Part 3

gnemmas

Let's make this an education for us.

What should we do when customer accepted our mis-quote?

On the lesson of Pat's customer, you decided to work for free in hope she will appreciate it, NOT!

Should we inform client about the mistake in the first place?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a good one... er should a really say a bad one.

I don't have an answer for this one, I don't think I ever had a customer send a lawyer to me to try and price fix quotes. Sounds quite a bit to me like 'EXTORTION' on their end.

I'da hung up on her butt so fast... she wouldn't need to wipe for a week.

When they call again, tell them you made a mistake again this year and last year's price was still good afterall, but you can't honor it any longer due to their snippy attitude.... you don't work for idiots anymore.

greenmachine

Yes, part three.

As the conversation went on she got more and more pissed off that my price was more than double what it was last year and that they weren't budgeted for that.

So if I understand you correctly, you sub out the work and then charge over double your cost. Is that not a huge markup for doing very little? Am I missing something?

greenie

SignManiac

So if I understand you correctly, you sub out the work and then charge over double your cost. Is that not a huge markup for doing very little? Am I missing something?

greenie

No that's a smart mark up. Being in business is about making money. If Pat can sell his banners at that price point and the customers don't complain then he's charging the right amount. I love to make money for doing very little. Those are my best jobs. Unfortunately, too many people in this business today have no understanding of what it takes to run and operate a business and are the one who believe that undercutting everyone else, is the key to getting rich and these same people are the one's who end up going under.

J Hill Designs

No that's a smart mark up. Being in business is about making money. If Pat can sell his banners at that price point and the customers don't complain then he's charging the right amount. I love to make money for doing very little. Those are my best jobs. Unfortunately, too many people in this business today have no understanding of what it takes to run and operate a business and are the one who believe that undercutting everyone else, is the key to getting rich and these same people are the one's who end up going under.

ex. act. ly.

TheSnowman

greenie
You are missing about half a paycheck probably...never undervalue a service because you did research and have built relationships with quality subs. Lowballers are killing the industry already, no reason to give stuff away at your cost.

What happens if something got screwed up on that order that was his fault. It's nice to think that never happens, but we've all been there. It sucks bad enough screwing up when it's something you can fix in house yourself, it's REAL bad if you have to PAY a customer to make their signs, and your sub still has to get paid for the second order.

ProWraps

greenie

your missing more than something there turbo. i bet you have an "attorney" renting your spare bedroom to dontcha?

UFB Fabrication

greenie

So lets see,

The guy spends time on the phone.

Time doing layouts (likely multiple times)

Goes thru BS picking out colors.

Prolly taking multiple calls

Likely done in a rush

Not to mention the price of everything related to running a business has increased.

And you dont understand why the price is double ? This race to the bottom is why the sign biz and frankly 1/2 of industry is in this state. FWIW the business model of times are tough things are tight so I will lower my price is a step towards failure.

Give a competitive quote and if and when you get the job figure out how you can do it for more profit.

Pat Whatley

greenie

You're kidding, right? Just because I can buy full color banners for around $1.50 per square foot doesn't mean I'm selling them for $2.00. My minimum markup would be 100%, usually on banners it's 300-400% which puts me right in line with most of the shops locally. Corrugated plastic yard signs I usually double what my printer charges me.

And Dan....I'm not sending anybody poop in a box. I've have much more fun with the world famous Great American Possum-gram. Nothing like opening your mailbox to find a giant, stinking, road kill rat grinning back out at you.

Marlene

And Dan....I'm not sending anybody poop in a box. I've have much more fun with the world famous Great American Possum-gram. Nothing like opening your mailbox to find a giant, stinking, road kill rat grinning back out at you.

Possum-gram!!!! I would love one of those!!!!! they are cute little critters!!!!!! see, there really is a market for everything:biggrin: just make mine alive thanks!!!

JR's

Quote:

Possum-gram!!!! I would love one of those!!!!! they are cute little critters!!!!!! see, there really is a market for everything just make mine alive thanks!!!

:ROFLMAO:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'm thinking Greenmachine will blow an o-ring when they find out that the markup on a typical fast food soft drink is 1200%

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You could send her to Mosh - I think he will match any price - no matter when it was quoted.

wayne k
guam usa

gbarker

Man EVERY day I am reminded why I dont do retail !!

Isn't that the truth. One of the reasons I switched to wholesale. Most of the folks I deal with now know what they want and how much it will cost.

In the past if I realized i misquoted a price, I honored the price but I made sure it was noted on my invoice. I would list the original price then show the discount and give the explanation that i misquoted the price. That way my customer knew not to expect that price next time and they had a good understanding of what it the price would be in the future.