• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arlon 6000XRP vs 3m 180c

datoshway

Anyone have any reviews on a comparison between Arlon 6000XRP vs 3m 180c? Pricing on the Arlon seems fantastic. If they are a comparable product, it would be interesting to see others views.

ucmj22

Both are great. I use both depending on the application. I feel Arlon's air egress performs better, while 3M's positionability is superior. both print well, and have good laminates to pair, although I have had problems with 3M's 8518 appearing scuffed near the end of the roll. ease of use would go to 3M for its positionability, but for more experienced installers who dont mind the extra tack, Arlon can be faster.

LarryB

I used Arlon material on some box truck wraps several years ago and they ended up failing 6 months later. Vinyl was falling off the truck with the adhesive remaining. Had to end up pulling wraps off, cleaning truck and re wrap with 3M. Don't let the cheap price fool you.

ucmj22

I used Arlon material on some box truck wraps several years ago and they ended up failing 6 months later. Vinyl was falling off the truck with the adhesive remaining. Had to end up pulling wraps off, cleaning truck and re wrap with 3M. Don't let the cheap price fool you.

I think they have changed their formula a few times since then. Ive had no problems with the installs we have done. was the product you used the 6000XRP?

datoshway

Ok so heres an honest review. Today I got to use Arlon panels on a trailer immediately after using 3m on the same type of trailer.

Air Release: 3m gets this one. I felt the air moves through the 3m channels better, maybe because the Arlon is more aggressive, not really sure, but overall 3m gets this.

Repositions: I felt no difference at all in the 6000XRP vs the 3m. Even steven here.

Durably: I found the Arlon a little more sensitive, and wanting to wrinkle a bit easier. Problem solved by using a little more heat the 3m.

Other: The Arlon seemed much much more sensitive to heat then 3m. I found 150-200 degrees on rivets for the Arlon was to much.

Overall: Both are great. I think with a little getting used to. I could wrap with the Arlon just as easy as the 3m. 3m just is easier from a installation standpoint. Your definitely getting what you pay for here. For the price break Arlon is just awesome though.

There you have it, an honest review from an honest person who just used both brands back to back on the same surfaces, same shop temp, same day, same hour, both 2mil cast films, laminated.

rjssigns

Not enough of a savings for me to want to jump the 3M ship.

Besides which my bro is an exec with them and he would probably pound me. He grins every time I tell him we order more product, says it keeps him employed. LOL

And before you go there, I do not get one F'ing thing from him or 3M. Got my Fellers and Midwest accounts and pay going rate like everyone else.

scuba_steve2699

my vote goes to Arlon - for the price break it is well worth it to use this product. I feel it looks smoother after it has set for a while as well and I can never get past the lines that are always there on the 3M media from its air egress channels.

ucmj22

my vote goes to Arlon - for the price break it is well worth it to use this product. I feel it looks smoother after it has set for a while as well and I can never get past the lines that are always there on the 3M media from its air egress channels.

i dont notice lines anymore. the IJ180 CV1 had a crosshatching pattern and is by far the best air egress film on the market, but the CV3 has no visible lines as far as I can tell.

Rooster

I've found that the Arlon is just as good for print quality, but definitely has a more aggressive bite than the 3m.

Ponto

I've found that the Arlon is just as good for print quality, but definitely has a more aggressive bite than the 3m.

+1... a big bad bite,.......had the (dis)pleasure of installing the 6000X on one of our infrequent +30 C days and the curses were flying left and right......

JP

MikePro

just about to order a sample roll myself. love the price difference tho'.
on the edge of an announced markup on all 3M products, its nice to find a cast wrap material at 80% the cost.

gonna wrap our shop truck and a sales vehicle with it, and see how it survives this summer/winter before fully commiting.

smdgrfx

+1 for Arlon. I have been using it for about a year now and I like the more aggressive initial tack. No problems. We still use 3M when specified, but our everyday performance material is the Arlon now.

Tony McD

I liked Arlon, printed nice and was easy enough to work with, but I had some of the same problems Larry B. had.....peeling after a few months, leaving the adhesive on the vehicle. Never figured out why it happened on some and not others.
Switched to 3m and so far no problems except the price.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Arlon is supposedly changing their adhesives on all of their wrap materials... They have already started sending out samples of their intermediate films, and our rep is saying that they cast films will be next.

we use the arlon 6k for most of our box trucks and its a great film its def more aggressive at the start and the reposition and air egress can touch 3m but if you are a good installer the arlon 6k is a very good choice for fleet wraps and boxes........YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR thats all i will say

Desert_Signs

Arlon is supposedly changing their adhesives on all of their wrap materials... They have already started sending out samples of their intermediate films, and our rep is saying that they cast films will be next.

i recently ordered some 4560GTX for a trailer. In the past, the adhesive has been very dark gray, almost black. This latest roll had a very light gray, like the 6000xrp. I wonder if this is part of the change?