• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artist Needed for Logo

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
John Deaton did some great work for me along these lines at a very reasonable price.

wayne k
guam usa

Locals Find!

Thank You for all your input. I appreciate it. I sent both Grampa Dan and John a Message. Please keep em coming guys.

If any of you wanna take a crack at this. I am open. I would like to get this done for him by Jan. 1 for his Grand Opening but, its not a Requirement.

We don't mind waiting to get it done right the first time.

iSign

i am looking for bids for someone to design a graphic for a client of mine. What he would like is outside my skill area.

He is looking to have a celery stalk charachter drawn that is holding a cell phone to his "head" in his right hand and a briefcase in his other hand. Should have a friendly look but, somewhat serious also. Possibly wearing a suit. Client would like it also to have a basic face.

The client doesn't want something that is overly childish. Budget for this is going to be about $200.00 so he isn't looking for miracles or extensive background scenes w/ the character.

Please pm your proposal with associated costs, payment schedule etc.. Rough sketch of what your thinking would be nice.

Thanks

adtechia llc

$200??

CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WASTED TIME EMAILING ICONIC DESIGNERS...
WAKE UP BRO.. :frustrated:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
$200??

Not sure why you would jump to that conclusion in these tough economic times.

I recall a job I had drawn by an artist, friend from New York. The client wanted the Statue of Liberty holding a foot long hot dog with a can of soda in place of the torch ... with the New York skyline behind. I got back exactly what the client wanted and her bill to me was $240.00.

grampa dan

$200 is about 1/10 the typical budget for this kind of project in our shop. I have no doubt there are plenty of guys willing to do it for less... and that's OK with me.

I don't want to do every logo/sign in town - only the best ones. I charge accordingly too. :)

-dan

Locals Find!

$200 is about 1/10 the typical budget for this kind of project in our shop. I have no doubt there are plenty of guys willing to do it for less... and that's OK with me.

I don't want to do every logo/sign in town - only the best ones. I charge accordingly too. :)

-dan

Dan, Your probably right to not take this job if you only want the best ones. This isn't going to be anything to brag about thats for sure. I appreciate the time you took to at least look over the project. Really.

I posted the budget clearly up front so I wouldn't be misleading anyone and wasting their time. I hate when clients do that kinda crap to me and try to be as up front as possible.

grampa dan

My thoughts

There are many points of view on this subject. Ultimately we settle on our own path and then have to walk it.

I regularly get requests to design signs and logos - often by other shops. It isn't long before the subject of budget comes up - as it should.

Many in business would argue its good business to take any work when its offered and then figure out how to somehow do it for that amount. Often this means lowering personal standards to get the job done. If that is your business model I guess that is Ok.

I'm much fussier about what we take on. First I need an adequate budget to do world class work. Then the work we do needs to be of that same standard. I would argue that if I did any less and it would diminish our reputation... and take up the time I need to do our regular work.

We are known tomorrow for what we do today.

-grampa dan

Locals Find!

Dan, I totally understand where you coming from. I am glad your in the position that you can afford to take the good jobs.

I really wish I had a budget to work with that would allow me to have this made "World Class". Unfortunately, this client just doesn't have that kinda budget. I would have loved being able to hire you.

I usually would have turned the whole project over to someone else in entirety however, this client is Related to me so I can't just send them packing. I know exactly why the budget is so small and am just trying to do my best for them with the budget they have.

iSign

Not sure why you would jump to that conclusion in these tough economic times.

didn't think I was "jumping" really... felt fairly sure I knew the reality here...

I didn't say nobody would do it... heck, Mr. Deaton has done 2 drawings for me close to that figure...

but, with all due respect... for a true "logo" design, I made my comment with exactly the reality we now see in mind... world class designers (iconic?) are usually not a good fit with lowball budgets...

PM your proposal with associated costs, payment schedule etc.. Rough sketch of what your thinking would be nice.

Now, if that pre-paid $200 budget is for the rough sketch you are soliciting... NOW I think you are in the ballpark...

...otherwise, I will stand my ground on this being a borderline insultingly inappropriate request, and I really hope Signs101 doesn't become a place for soliciting spec work (free sketches) for brokers... it's one thing to help our peers learn the design trade... but helping someone sell products they can't produce should at least be handled by the same standards the majority here are writing about almost every day...

Locals Find!

$200??

It wasn't a waste of time you don't know until you ask.
I simply emailed the suggestions given to me. I was politely turned down by Grandpa Dan. I don't think I offended him by asking him. To look over my project and see if it was something he wanted to take on. It wasn't and I respect that.

iSign

I have posted about the "spec work" aspect of Adtechia's solicitation, because I think it is a very important topic for the design trade, and Signs101 has a number of novice & aspiring designers, as well as veterans who may not yet have been exposed to this inappropriate business practice, and the general consensus against it, from within the design community.
I hope nobody takes this as an attack on Adtechia, regardless of past opposition on unrelated topics, this topic is too important not to mention here.

The following is a template from AIGA, the professional association for design.
It was written to help educate designers and encourage an understanding of the risks associated with solicitation of spec work—risks to the individual designer, the client and the profession as a whole.

(design company name here) would like to work with you to produce communications materials for your organization, but we are concerned that your request for proposal includes a solicitation of design concepts to be produced on a speculative basis by the professionals you are considering.

The approach you are pursuing is one that compromises the quality of work you are entitled to and also violates a tacit, long-standing ethical standard in the communication design profession worldwide. AIGA, the nation’s largest and oldest professional association for design, strongly discourages the practice of requesting that design work be produced and submitted on a speculative basis in order to be considered for acceptance on a project.

There are two main reasons for this position:

1. To assure the client receives the most appropriate and responsive work. Successful design work results from a collaborative process between a client and the designer with the intention of developing a clear sense of the client’s objectives, competitive situation and needs. Speculative design competitions or processes result in a superficial assessment of the project at hand that is not grounded in a client’s business dynamics. Design creates value for clients as a result of the strategic approach designers take in addressing the problems or needs of the client and only at the end of that process is a “design” created. Speculative or open competitions for work based on a perfunctory problem statement will not result in the best design solution for the client.

2. Requesting work for free demonstrates a lack of respect for the designer and the design process. Requesting work for free reflects a lack of understanding and respect for the value of effective design as well as the time of the professionals who are asked to provide it. This approach, therefore, reflects on your personal practices and standards and may be harmful to the professional reputation of both you and your business. There are few professions where all possible candidates are asked to do the work first, allowing the buyer to choose which one to compensate for their efforts. (Just consider the response if you were to ask a dozen lawyers to write a brief for you, from which you would then choose which one to pay!) We realize that there are some creative professions with a different set of standards, such as advertising and architecture, for which billings are substantial and continuous after you select a firm of record. In those cases, you are not receiving the final outcome (the advertising campaign or the building) for free up front as you would be in receiving a communication design solution.

There is an appropriate way to explore the work of various designers. A more effective and ethical approach to requesting speculative work is to ask designers to submit examples of their work from previous assignments as well as a statement of how they would approach your project. You can then judge the quality of the designer’s previous work and his or her way of thinking about your business. The designer you select can then begin to work on your project by designing strategic solutions to your criteria while under contract to you, without having to work on speculation up front. If you would like to work with our firm in developing a process that will benefit you most and maintain the high business standards we expect of [name of soliciting company or organization], please do not hesitate to give me a call. There are many local and national designers who can provide you with solutions that will far exceed your expectations, with respect for an appropriate budget and schedule. In the end, this approach ensures a more effective, professional and profitable process for everyone involved.
Your consideration of these professional design issues is greatly appreciated.

For more information on AIGA, visit www.aiga.org.