• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attitudes & Reactions

stickermonkey

Hey fellow Signs101'ers...I'm not on here often, but in the past couple of months I've been logging on more often. I find the forum very useful and informative for the most part. Though, unfortunately since I joined a couple years ago I am finding that the attitudes and reactions of people on here can be quite harsh and even down right rude. I'm just saying. We all come here to network and share information about our industry. I used to feel that if I had an issue or question that I would get support and kindness here. I'm not saying I'm ever going to stop using this site...I just feel that we all need to be a little more supportive and kind, or simply not say anything at all. I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone on here, and I hope that this statement is taken in the spirit in which it's given. Let's all try to be more helpful. No matter what, we have instances that we need advice fast and whether or not it seems worthy of attention or advice, think about how you treat the person who is looking to this forum for an answer. C'mon people....show a little more kindness towards fellow Signs101 members. Ok

thx...Cheers!

TheSnowman

If you don't like the show...change the channel.

Just kidding. That is a good point. I don't think any single person here hasn't had to hold back from sayin stuff that they wanted to. Well, except maybe Mosh...but he usually is drunk when he does that stuff I think.

stickermonkey

must be last years economy raggin' on some of us perhaps!! lol ...anyhow...I just wanted to say my bit. :) This forum can be so helpful but when you feel like you don't want to ask something because some people just seem to go out of their way to be rude...you think twice before posting. ya know?? lol

stickermonkey

If you don't like the show...change the channel.

Just kidding. That is a good point. I don't think any single person here hasn't had to hold back from sayin stuff that they wanted to. Well, except maybe Mosh...but he usually is drunk when he does that stuff I think.

I actually have "changed the channel" from time to time because of this very thing. lol It's not that I'm trying to change everyone here...just want to bring light to something that just doesn't have to happen. I'm sure this site was always intended to be helpful to the people who use it. :) Again...just sayin'.

SignManiac

Thick skin in this business is a requirement. Sensitivity training isn't one of the forum options. Just saying.

stickermonkey

Thick skin in this business is a requirement. Sensitivity training isn't one of the forum options. Just saying.

Thick skin is absolutely a requirement! 100% agreed. And "asshole" training isn't one of the forum options either. But it seems increasingly applied to this forum. Why is everyone so darn grumpy?? Am I missing something??

weaselboogie

:thumb:

Being flat out mean is one thing, but if I post up something for a critique, I'm doing it for a critique, not expecting atta-boys from everyone. I want brutal honesty, because real life scenarios is much worse. If your stuff ain't flying, that business has the potential to FAIL.

If I just wanted compliments, I'd show it to my grandma.

Last edited by a moderator:

SignManiac

I'd say that everyone has a bad day once in a while. You take, not sure how many thousands of members here that Fred has, and you will get a proportional amount of people having bad days showing up here every day. So you almost have to expect X amount of asses and there's nothing anyone is going to do to change that. It's that way in life everyday, everywhere. No such thing as a perfect world. I do my best to be nice but I'm a flawed human being and occasionally have my bad days too. I am proud of the fact that I don't say half the things I really want to say here sometimes. I've learned to think twice before hitting the submit button.

stickermonkey

:thumb:

Being flat out mean is one thing, but if I post up something for a critique, I'm doing it for a critique, not expecting atta-boys from everyone. I want brutal honesty, because real life scenarios is much worse. If your **** ain't flying, that business has the potential to FAIL.

If I just wanted compliments, I'd show it to my grandma.

I'm not really talking about critiquing really...in that case, well YES of course the person is looking for brutal honesty. Am I the only one that sees how things can go way out of context on here? lol Honestly ...just trying to spread a little sunshine! LMAO...(trust me...even I have my days) We all have our "bitchy" moments in life.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodPeopleFlags

I do see what you're saying, but I don't think we should hold back from the person wanting to know "what plotter and software is the best" so he can make "stickers for his friends" then wants to know how to make stickers.

There are other sign forums that will always give out "pats on the back" no matter what. I don't care for those sites personally. If something looks like crap, tell them! They need to know. That's what I like about this site.

S

scarface

In all honesty, Since i visited this forum, it has helped me take no customers BS and charge for things that everyone else was charging for just not me.

You just have to go with it and brush certain things off because alot of what you don't want to hear, is what you NEED to hear.

SignManiac

I've seen other sites that are far more vicious than 101. Fred does an excellent job and knows when to shut things down. Yea there are a few sh%t stirrers but even those have toned down their attitudes in recent years. Most of the members here are pretty descent people. The real nasty trouble makers never stay around very long.

Besides, I don't trust nice people. I'm always wondering when they're gonna try and screw me. Better to know if someone doesn't' like you.

Flame

I'll admit, I can be a bit ragged from time to time. This economy has been taxing on me. Nonstop, every day... $5 coroplast sign requests, free logo requests... junk like that I never really had. And then seeing startup shops actually do it! ugh... nothing like getting your hopes up on a 10 van fleet wrap job, and watching another shop do it for $800 a van instead of your $2200 a van....

With the new retail store, it's this stuff.... everyyyyyyyy day. sigh.

I'll admit it, I can be grumpy sometimes. :)

stickermonkey

Most of what I've learned on this site has been absolutely rewarding and useful to me too. That's why I keep coming back. And I agree that you can't sugar coat everything..and that we are all frustrated when some poor sap decides to come on here looking for advice on how to sideline in the sign business. But still...I just think that it's better to say nothing at all perhaps? lol Like I said..even I have my moments.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I know I call a spade when I see a spade. If it hurts someone’s feelings… I can’t help it, but no where do I go out of my way to insult or embarrass people at this site or anywhere else….. unless provoked. It’s so much easier to address what is going on in any thread and answer with whatever I feel… then to mince my words and not get my point across.

In teaching many people over the years, I have always been accused of being hard, but very fair. One will learn more when given the right tools than to always be making up excuses for someone’s lack of talent or enthusiasm.

If someone here asks a question and it’s full of holes and I don’t want to give out information because I smell a fish….. why should I ?? I’m allowed to have my feelings as well as the guy/gal that feels I’m being harsh. If I shut up and don’t barge in….. who’s gonna be helped ?? Certainly not the poster that doesn’t know anything, but why allow a charade to go on when you can see one unfolding right before your eyes ??

If someone is expecting to come here and gather all this wonderful information and not put anything back in return…. that’s Okay by me… as long as they are learning something for their trade, but if someone comes in here and gets by the administrator’s radar or lies about their credentials…. it’s not up to me to get rid of them, but I can take an active part [on my own time] in getting to the bottom of something I feel is appalling.

It would be a wonderful world if we could all get along and get top price for our wares while living the ‘American Dream’…. however, time is running out and the world isn’t perfect, so when liars and cheats raise their ugly little heads… you must decide to either have a nice happy little answer or call the spade a spade and do it without hurting the person, unless you just want to be a prick…. then everything I said goes out the window.