• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery Failures Return

HulkSmash

I was a fool for giving them a try 2 years ago. We used Avery for about 2-3 months because of some disagreements with 3M. THANK GOD we stopped using because of CONSTANT contaminated rolls.

We used their new vinyl - now everything done in Avery 1.5 years later looks like it has caught on fire. I mean I literally did a fleet of 6 vehicles, 2 done in Avery 4 in 3M. the 2 Avery ones are literally cracked, brown, and just disgusting. the 3M looks pretty much like the day we installed it. Lucky for us we didn't do hundreds of vehicles with it, just a few dozen.

And in December we had to do a fleet spec'd in Avery SW Blue. Good God. It was literally the most garbage material ever. I had to spend $250 on surgical scalpels because nothing else would cut it without it stretching and causing jagged cuts. The material is literal Garbage.

Anyone using the "New and improved" Avery wrap vinyl do yourself a favor and stop before it destroys your business and reputation. I have claims in, let's see if avery steps up this time - for their sake i really hope they do.

Everyone here knows i can really start a movement. And I'm pretty pissed off.

Attached are examples of Avery failures.

Attachments

• 20151006_111423.jpg
    20151006_111423.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 635
  • 20151006_111532.jpg
    20151006_111532.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 496

HulkSmash

I'm surprised you went with Avery instead of Oracal.

We used oracal for a while, but my installers just didn't like it.

In my opinion Oracal has a great company, they're so awesome to work with.. but sadly their material didn't agree with my installers.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We used oracal for a while, but my installers just didn't like it.

In my opinion Oracal has a great company, they're so awesome to work with.. but sadly their material didn't agree with my installers.

Ever tried Arlon, Hexis, or Ritrama cast vinyl?

Jillbeans

I would never trust them after getting it up the rear without lube from them in 2005.
The only refund they offer is usually more of the dreaded Avery.
Love....Jill
(I just do cut vynull, but have never had a failure since 1998 with Arlon products, 3M and Oracal have never let me down, either)

Kottwitz-Graphics

I would never trust them after getting it up the rear without lube from them in 2005.
The only refund they offer is usually more of the dreaded Avery.
Love....Jill
(I just do cut vynull, but have never had a failure since 1998 with Arlon products, 3M and Oracal have never let me down, either)

+1. I am still very hesitant to use Avery, and I definitely don't use their reflective. Having to change reflective on one car 4 times was more than enough. (I worked for a guy at the time, and that's all he wanted to use... )

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Subscribed for interest.... We also moved away from Oracal for the same reasons. Installers were getting annoyed with how aggressive it is (3751). We still use a lot of 3M but theirs has also gotten more aggressive. The Avery 1005 is a dream to install and a much better price point so I reluctantly started using it a good bit over the past year. Probably have about 40 full wraps and many dozens of smaller jobs out there with it now. We have always used the slightly thicker 1060 laminate with it. I'll be mighty bent if I have to replace it all.

HulkSmash

Subscribed for interest.... We also moved away from Oracal for the same reasons. Installers were getting annoyed with how aggressive it is (3751). We still use a lot of 3M but theirs has also gotten more aggressive. The Avery 1005 is a dream to install and a much better price point so I reluctantly started using it a good bit over the past year. Probably have about 40 full wraps and many dozens of smaller jobs out there with it now. We have always used the slightly thicker 1060 laminate with it. I'll be mighty bent if I have to replace it all.

I've beaten my vendors up enough that my 3M pricing isn't a huge difference in avery. Avery is cool to install, but sadly their product is not built to last... at least in Colorado where we are a mile high, and have extreme hot summers and extreme cold winters.

I've had an avery rep come in my shop and tell me that wasn't an issue. Take my word on this sightline - run very far away.

Baz

We get very hot and very cold as well.

Avery is all i've been using for quite a few years now. Never seen that kind of failure. (no failures at all actually).

I am using MPI 1005 with Dol 1060 lam. Printing with Roland Ecosol Max inks.

neil_se

I'm also interested to know which product. We had to switch from 1005 EA RS last year because we just couldn't get a roll that would print on the latex consistent. The replacement 3M 180C prints well, the installers just prefer the Avery.

Bly

We've had a couple of rolls returned with what looks like plasticiser migration.
Got refunded. But then we had issues with rolls of 3M 480 too.
There have been no issues with vinyl on vehicles.
It generally prints well on our 360s and is nice to install.

HulkSmash

We've had a couple of rolls returned with what looks like plasticiser migration.
Got refunded. But then we had issues with rolls of 3M 480 too.
There have been no issues with vinyl on vehicles.
It generally prints well on our 360s and is nice to install.

Yeah we had problems over and over with just contaminated rolls. Just didn't have the time nor patience with the continued garbage. It was a blessing in disguise though.. thankfully.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
:popcorn: I'm going to keep my eye on this post. I've been 85% Avery 15% 3M for years now. I did see one of our wraps around that were still young that looked like that.
Thought maybe it was them not taking care of it.

Regina

I was a fool for giving them a try 2 years ago. We used Avery for about 2-3 months because of some disagreements with 3M. THANK GOD we stopped using because of CONSTANT contaminated rolls.

We used their new vinyl - now everything done in Avery 1.5 years later looks like it has caught on fire. I mean I literally did a fleet of 6 vehicles, 2 done in Avery 4 in 3M. the 2 Avery ones are literally cracked, brown, and just disgusting. the 3M looks pretty much like the day we installed it. Lucky for us we didn't do hundreds of vehicles with it, just a few dozen.

And in December we had to do a fleet spec'd in Avery SW Blue. Good God. It was literally the most garbage material ever. I had to spend $250 on surgical scalpels because nothing else would cut it without it stretching and causing jagged cuts. The material is literal Garbage.

Anyone using the "New and improved" Avery wrap vinyl do yourself a favor and stop before it destroys your business and reputation. I have claims in, let's see if avery steps up this time - for their sake i really hope they do.

Everyone here knows i can really start a movement. And I'm pretty pissed off.

Attached are examples of Avery failures.

Thanks for giving us a heads up on the latest Avery failures. We also went through the nightmare with reflective years ago. Encouraged by another sign guy to use the Avery for wrapping. We have done a bunch of trucks with 1005 SC RS and 1360 laminate and I guess we'll have to hold our breath, as they were only done in the last year or so.
We have been using Arlon with their laminate and the installers really love it, but not long enough to speak of the longevity.

ams

Never been a fan of Avery and will avoid their products whenever I can. They need to sell to residential envelope labels and all.

reQ

Never been a fan of Avery and will avoid their products whenever I can. They need to sell to residential envelope labels and all.
well they do sell bunch of their stuff in staples & walmart

Chasez

This is a little bit off the topic but I agree that Avery is going to ****... we just had a large job with Avery etch mark (around 7,000sqft) in a cut pattern and went to mask it... mask just falls off when you pick up the sheet... thought the mask was no good... tried different masks... still nothing (tried 3M SCPS-55 high tack & transferite 9920 high tack) finally after our distributor argued with Avery they finally came out and admitted that they put some sort of top coat on so that the material can run through there machines and that's why the mask won't stick and to get rid of it try and wipe the face with ISO.... well wouldn't ya know it... ISO did the trick and them ask stuck... why the hell would a company put a coat on that would prevent mask from adhering when you know that's what people will be doing with it??? Still fighting to get a partial refund as the extra time and added costs in wiping every sheet was ridiculous!

We definitely will be avoiding all Avery products from now on.. if they're spec'd and don't want an alt you're paying a premium!

Chaz