• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

axyz vs. multicam

marcinito

I've had a Multi Cam for 10+ years, good machine overall, and you don't have to have a tool changer its nice but not a must.

Kevin

You are correct, you don't have to have it if you are ok with manualy changing tools. I can't imagine doing it that way but than again our programs on average use 3-5 tools.
3 tool changes per job 5 jobs per day = 15 + times manual labor etc.
More is less as they say, plus when spending good amount of money on CNC why not do it right ?
Than again, it always depends on what is going to be done on such machine.

HulkSmash

You are correct, you don't have to have it if you are ok with manualy changing tools. I can't imagine doing it that way but than again our programs on average use 3-5 tools.
3 tool changes per job 5 jobs per day = 15 + times manual labor etc.
More is less as they say, plus when spending good amount of money on CNC why not do it right ?
Than again, it always depends on what is going to be done on such machine.

I agree it's not necessary, but if you're spending almost 100k go all the way.

artbot

then end of the video also shows just how much you may not want the atc. the HSD tool change took 18 seconds. and i'm not spending $100k, i'm spending $30k or less.

artbot

in the 6x10/12 size range there are very few options used. there is an axyz about 3 hours from here that is an 8 x 14, dual head (elte and HSD). the parts that i'll be making will many times be monolithic installs for hotel atriums (3d wall panels, 7' wide polycarb hanging transparent banners). do i need 8' wide? if i had it, i'd take advantage of it. plus i can always set up two homes at opposite corners and cut and set up simultaneously (two 8x7 tables in one).

there isn't an axyz tech in houston, but from what i've learned over the week, the parts in an axyz are common and a tech would only be needed for installing an expensive upgrade.

multicam seems to be the preferred cnc by a large margin. but no, nicer large machines are for sale used. there are some ancient sf's but they don't have vacuum and look very worn. ...not sure my partner will put up with a hoopty cnc. i would but not him.

attached is an example of a large cnc project.

Attachments

• kbr sample.jpg
    kbr sample.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 225

Gene@mpls

@sebstienL i need to come up with a cool name for my laser set up. if anyone needs some kind of low budget registry, i'd high recommend using this system.

about $100 at harbour freight and you're good to go. just mount them at the corners of the cnc out of the way. mine get mounted on a little 2x4 extension off the table.

I love lasers- looked but could not find at HF online. Do you have a part # Art?

artbot

i looked just now. it's been 10 years since i got mine there.

but

i did find the ones i use on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-64001-Strait-Line-Laser-Level/dp/B000065CE7

this may be the same thing
http://www.lowes.com/pd_247679-70-BDL220S_0__?productId=1070395

if i was starting out today, i might try one of the ones that lays down a cross hair instead of a straight line. that way one laser would paint your home position instead of getting two lasers to be square to each other. problem is they are a bit more expensive and are "self leveling" meaning you might not be able to point it at the ground/table.

econolinesigns

AXYZ would be my choice. We have had ours for over 10 years and it still works great every day. The other thing that I would be willing to bet is that no one can beat their customer service and support. To this day, we can call them and they walk us through any issues or repairs over the telephone. When we have needed to repair the router, they will ship the parts to us and then walk us through the repair. We have never had to pay to have a tech come out for anything with our router.

marcinito

then end of the video also shows just how much you may not want the atc. the HSD tool change took 18 seconds. and i'm not spending $100k, i'm spending $30k or less.

I would look for used 4 yr old with TC.
100k gets you brand spanking cnc with lots of options.

Anyways, bect of luck with purchase.

f3rri

BTW you would want a machine that has a service center closest to you. Travel fees are $$$ when the machines do go down. Multicam comes from Maryland to service mine. But they are good guys to deal with and basically I wait till they have a service call with another shop in my area and I end up splitting it with them.

f3rri

Sorry for the multiple posts

Sorry for the multiple posts

I totally agree with everyone. TOOL CHANGER... AMEN TO THAT!

My Multicam 3000 has one so does my Multicam Mt. I used to out source to shops that had gerbers and such that had to change by hand. They always had a guys sitting and watching the machine (getting paid to watch paint dry.)

artbot

cnc guy (who is obsessed with multicams, that's what he currently uses), at the recommendation of a cnc tech in houston, went with a 5x10 limac. he went to see it, fell in love with it. and the tech tells us of all the cnc's that he services, the limacs are the most dependable.

we should be rigging and installing it within the next three weeks. it's in customs somewhere in houston at the moment.

rjssigns

Yay! Artbot taking road less traveled.

It will be interesting to get real world feedback on the Limac. IMO if the components are of high quality and assembled properly there should be no mechanical issues.
CNC Routers are not terribly complex in that respect. I think software that drives it properly would be the issue.
Will you be doing accuracy and repeatability trials with it?

HulkSmash

cnc guy (who is obsessed with multicams, that's what he currently uses), at the recommendation of a cnc tech in houston, went with a 5x10 limac. he went to see it, fell in love with it. and the tech tells us of all the cnc's that he services, the limacs are the most dependable.

we should be rigging and installing it within the next three weeks. it's in customs somewhere in houston at the moment.

Hey art. What are the price range for these machines?