• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back with more experience

CherryGraphix

Hey everyone!

It’s been more than a few years since I’ve been on this website. I started my business in 2007 with a basic vinyl cutter. In 2014 I upgraded to a large format Mutoh printer. Attended a vehicle wrap class by Justin Pate in Phoenix at Mutoh and have been an official, licensed business since. I run the business out of my house and I am the sole employee.
I got on this website years and years ago and asked some questions and was treated like trash because I was new so I stayed away until now. I’m hoping my colleagues have changed over the years as I would very much appreciate some help when I need it. Other than a few sign expos and Justin pates training, I have been completely self taught.
I’m interested in expanding my business to include t-shirts and possibly window tint. I primarily have been printing and installing vehicle graphics and lettering on storefronts & printing banners. I’ve dabbled in some color change wraps but that’s the extent of my wrapping skills.
I am currently new to backlit signs for businesses. Going well.
I’ve always questioned my pricing and labor rates. So that is really why I am back on here to narrow in on my pricing.
I live in southern Idaho. Our minimum wage is still $7.25. Although most places pay more than that. Ppl here are cheap.

I’ll find the the thread to help answer my questions. I look forward to connecting here!

Attachments

• IMG_0518.jpeg
    IMG_0518.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9928.jpeg
    IMG_9928.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9925.jpeg
    IMG_9925.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
First place to start is figuring out your overhead costs and be honest about every last expense. Don't underestimate any of it or you could be forever scratching your head trying to figure out what is wrong. When you determine your hourly breakdown, remember that you don't bill 40 hours a week so that number needs to cover your admin time as well. I believe we use 35 hours per head on the rate but 50 hours (including O/T) is the raw labor cost that it is based from. Tracking material usage and actual time on jobs is also a tremendous help and give you good information to adjust your pricing from.

Stacey K

I like making signs
To add on to Notareal - check out Fire Sprints website, he has a really nice overhead calculator on it.

Next, my business is similar to yours. I do a lot of apparel. The easiest, most profitable way to get into it is get a good heatpress like a GeoKnight - skip the cheap ones. You will have it more many years and it pays for itself with a couple jobs. Next, sign up with 613 Originals and Supacolor - request transfer samples. Sign up with Sanmar or S&S Active wear and order some basic Gildan 2000 tshirts. Press the samples. Order some Siser HTV (not the cheap crap) off Amazon and use your cutter to create some designs and press them. No need to buy a screen print press. Transfers are made of plastisol ink and are no different than screen printing. Saves space, time and not messy.

Transfers are about 15cents a piece for one color of ink. You press each shirt for 2-3 seconds to get the moisture out. Then you set the transfer on it and press it 7 seconds. Open press, peel transfer - DONE. Can be very profitable.

There you have it. You do all that and you're ready for your first job. Any questions or to facetime my set-up you can PM me. Jochwat on here also does a lot of shirts with transfers so he's a good resource.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Not only do you have to figure out your overhead, you also need to figure out what margin you want to operate at.

The overhead gives you your calculated hourly rate for labor. You should also have an idea of what things are going for in your area. You should be in that area as well for your pricing. Because you are a 1 man operation you will be limited on what you can do of course. Can’t work on a sign and talk with a client at the same time.

Also, utilize other sources/companies for some of the things that you are talking about. This will allow you more time to work on the things that you do well and make the best money. Grow into those areas as your business permits.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Haha..... I remember you. Welcome back. Didn't realize you left.

As you're figuring out your shop rate, you might need to get some additional insurance to be doing electrical signs in-house and/or installations for them. You'll also need a license for doing your electrical work, unless you're farming it out and then it becomes a bit of a nightmare...... if your subs are covered, who is gonna be responsible for this, that or whatever. Also, if this shop is connected to your house, many screen inks stink to high heck and will penetrate all walls, unless you have really good ventilation.

MacD

Well if you made it this long you must be doing something right. All suggestions have been good. Another option can be time&material. What are you paying yourself is it enough? I think most people don't consider all the time it takes. Setup/Proofs/time spent talking and explain things to customer etc. Plus time for ordering needed material and some profit on material. You must need repairs or new equipment a percentage needs to be added for that as well. As well as insurance especially if you doing wraps on your property.
As far as shirts start with heat press and order Plastisol transfers or DTF transfers. I wouldn't spend money on DTG printer unless you are doing them everyday the cost and time for per-treatment and ink. And maintenance on white ink it is not worth it. Have done it.