• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Beer Brand Design

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Nice but I don't think the 3D elements blend that well with the 2d illustrated parts.
Girl & barrel need to be less 3D or the background parts need to be more 3D.
You could look into setting up your render engine to NPR/Toon or pop your vectors out into 3d.

wayne k
guam usa

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Nice kegs... c'mon, someone had to say it...

very cool, would love to see the process...

Joe Diaz

Thanks everyone. This was a blast to do.

Let me know when you get some brewed up....I want some
We'll try to have some ready for the Danville Walldog Meet this summer. Being that you are in Illinois, you should come help us sling some paint and drink some beer.:thumb:

Tell us more about how you created the girl and keg...where these hand drawn? Not too familiar with the programs you mentioned.
Well what I did first was download the 3D figure that I used for the beer wench. The best one in my opinion is called "victoria 4.2". She is basically a template to start with. Then I used custom textures and bump maps for her skin. You can't really tell in these pictures because they are so small, but there is a lot of detail when you zoom in close.

Then I dressed her in the (altered) dirndl, gave her custom hair and posed her using Poser Pro. In Poser Pro, you basically have control over all the figure's joints, so you can bend and positions the figure however you want. The keg was made in 3ds max, which is more for modeling, while poser is more for setting up scenes. When the scene is all set up and after I apply the right lighting, I just rendered it at it's maximum setting, which on my computer took about 1.5 hours. Then once it's done, I exported it as a super high res .png and placed it in my design in Corel.

jeez louise!! that is cool... do you use poser and 3ds a lot. and if so is for dimensional signs or just fun stuff like this.
So far... just for fun. Not many clients have asked for anything like this. And, we don't have 3D router or any means to produces something like this for dimensional signs.... Yet :thumb:

I hope your beer lives up to the label!
If Ben and I are making it... probably not.:ROFLMAO: But my Dad knows what he is doing so with his help we'll have to see.

Nice but I don't think the 3D elements blend that well with the 2d illustrated parts.
Girl & barrel need to be less 3D or the background parts need to be more 3D.
You could look into setting up your render engine to NPR/Toon or pop your vectors out into 3d.

I tried to give the 2D elements as much dimension as I could with out getting too photoshoppy on it. Right now, everything is basically all vector (with exception of the girl). I like that pure vector style. It's usually produces a clean and crisp look.

I still want this thing to be somewhat legible, and I feel like too many unnecessary effects cheapen the design. I personally like the 2D to 3D ratio. It kind of has a nice effect that allows the 3D figure to kind of pop out at you. If I did choose to flatten her into a more 2D style. I think I might use yet another program, Corel Painter, and giver her a nice illustrated feel.

Shovelhead

I'd add a filter to take away from the 3D space age look of the beer wench.
It's fighting the old time traditional elements.

Very sweet though.

cptcorn

adad
I love everything except the 3d pieces.... they just look odd... maybe go in and redraw a vector version, based on the 3d versions...

That woman looks creepy.

Outstanding work though.

Marlene

very very nice! the only little tiny thing I would change is the peek-a-boo of the underware. that would bring her from kind of sleezy to sexy.

jiarby

Was this a for fun thing, or are you going to actually print the labels? Short run, die cut. gonna be `spensive I'll bet!
How do they print on the bottle caps?

Joe Diaz

I love everything except the 3d pieces.... they just look odd... maybe go in and redraw a vector version, based on the 3d versions...

That woman looks creepy.

Outstanding work though.

Yeah I think it's mainly the face that is giving off the creepy vibe. I need to work on that some more. I'm kind of reluctant to do her in vector, because I spent so much time getting the textures, lighting and bump maps right. I'm confident that I can improve her face, I'm just not sure if it will be enough to make her not look creepy to some people.

very very nice! the only little tiny thing I would change is the peek-a-boo of the underware. that would bring her from kind of sleezy to sexy.

lift skirt more:ROFLMAO:

Man! Lift up her skirt some more, cover her up.... Make up your mind people. :Big Laugh

Was this a for fun thing, or are you going to actually print the labels? Short run, die cut. gonna be `spensive I'll bet!
How do they print on the bottle caps?
Mainly for fun. I plan on doing a few actual labels and printing them off on our Versacamm for display purposes mainly. But not for mass production. We aren't going to sell the beer because we don't have a licence. We are just home brewing for fun and giving them to friends and family. It's kind of a bother-son-father bonding experience.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't think you need to flatten her out into vector, just adjust your render output so she works better with your 2d vector background.
She looks pasted into a very nice illustrated layout.

You can run into the same problem using 3D clipart that you would using 2D.
Without making it your own by reworking it, some will recognize it for what it is.
V4's face has been used in 1000's of renders and has lost it's appeal just like the over used lens flare.

Take a look at these guys:
http://www.seventhstreetstudio.com/index.php

They are very good at striking a balance in their imagery between drawn, rendered, photographic & video elements.
One day when I grow up I want to be just like them.

wayne k
guam usa

Joe Diaz

Take a look at these guys:
http://www.seventhstreetstudio.com/index.php

They are very good at striking a balance in their imagery between drawn, rendered, photographic & video elements.
One day when I grow up I want to be just like them.
[/QUOTE]

Wow! Those guys ARE good!:omg:

I don't know If i will ever get to the point of creating 3d content like those guys. On a description of a few of their stuff it says that they are using poser to render that content and they are using "off the shelf" content. If they are using poser, they are really pushing it to the extreme levels of what poser is capable of. I have no idea how they are getting those results. I would like to see what settings they are using.

But this is great inspiration and something to shoot for.