• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Before/After planning stages

Jillbeans

I am going to re-do a sign I made (not installed) at least 10 years ago for my church.
The panels are 2'x4' Alumalite.
When I first did this I was so proud of myself, now I cringe because it is soooo computer ugly.
I'm embarrassed to post it here.
My vision at that time was to have a triangular directional sign.
It was installed by the helping hands group at the church, a nice bunch of old sweeties.
They did it differently than I envisioned but that's OK.
The info was dictated by a church committee.
:clapping:
Some stuff has been changed here and there (you can see on the service times)

I am donating the re-do in exchange for a hall rental, so I have more say this time.
One request was that they wanted to feature a Celtic cross.
There were a few re-assignments but nothing major.
I have white panels (thought I had red, which is what I would have preferred to use for a background)
Lettering will be HP vinyl and Oraleaf, I have tons leftover from another job.
Maybe I'll paint the swirls.

Do these look OK?
I am not real pleased with the arrows.
I did the Preschool Place in Jillbeans because that's how their main sign is lettered.
Should I keep it all the same?
The font is variations of LHF Stevens Percepta by Arthur Vanson.
Is that appropriate?
Should I nix the Celtic caps on the mission statement?
Nix the scrolls?
Any advice is appreciated.
I want these to look nice, and to kind of redeem myself on those old ones.
:thankyou:
Love....Jill

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 141
  • GRC.jpg
    GRC.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 112

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The arrows are a might bouncy, especially for a church. Try putting the areas that point in one direction into a group and have a whole group point as one. You only have two directions…. top goes left and the bottom goes right and keep the down one at the bottom like you already have it.

I think the font is also a tad too informal for the nature of the sign and the use of information you’re trying to convey. Besides, they don’t match the flourishes.

signmeup

Too many scrolls. Leave the top ones and do a twin pin line down the sides so you can make some squares in the corners. Maybe a small ornament in the centre of the bottom pin lines.
Ask yourself,"What would Dave Smith do?":Big Laugh

Attachments

• PinLineCorner.jpg
    PinLineCorner.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 98

Jillbeans

Darn it I was going to use the Grampa Dan endorsed Wingding dingbats!
:)

PS
I'll take all the suggestions I can get.

JR's

The arrows are a might bouncy, especially for a church. Try putting the areas that point in one direction into a group and have a whole group point as one. You only have two directions…. top goes left and the bottom goes right and keep the down one at the bottom like you already have it.

I think the font is also a tad too informal for the nature of the sign and the use of information you’re trying to convey. Besides, they don’t match the flourishes.

:thumb: :thumb: :goodpost:

JR

JR's

I think if you keep the scrolls light in color and smaller thy wont conpeat and thy will be fine.
I would left justify the hours. make Sunday worship a little bigger for balance.

JR

sdimmick

i like the preschool font, but it just doesnt look okay with the others being different types. Maybe seperate that from the others or like Gino said, put them in a group.
I dont know that im worthy of an opinion, but JMO.

Jillbeans

OK round two.
Totally nixed the first attempt.
Is this any better?
The one thing I can't have, which I would like to have, are borders.
This one is a little cleaner maybe.
I got the arrow wrong on the office complex.
But I like the idea of grouping the places where the arrows go.
And I like the idea of keeping the fonts all the same.
This one is my old go-to Arroyo, because it's sans serif and skinny.
The script is Alpine from Chuck Borges.
:thankyou:
Any better?
It still doesn't feel "done" to me.

Attachments

• GRC2.jpg
    GRC2.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 106

signmeup

No borders!? Poo!
Not knowing what the signs surroundings will be makes it hard to say what would look good. I like the gray arrows but I liked the old shape better I think. They could be a tadd darker. Hey... maybe you could do the arrows the same colour/outline as the cross? That would tie the two signs together and the black and gold together would have a mid gray value.(if you squint)

Jillbeans

Here's a pic of the church snagged off the www.
You can see the existing sign too.
The sign panels have white aluminum pieces bent around them.

Attachments

• church.jpg
    church.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 115

iSign

gray arrows are better, layouts without flourishes are tons better (IMO)

I like simple triangle arrows better, and would put them all preceeding the copy. A ragged right edge of left justified copy looks fine, but a ragged line up of arrows looks wonky to me, when they could be a nice straight column

sardocs

I think this new version looks very good. Maybe centre justify all the copy blocks and place the arrows on the sides they're pointing to. A capital G on generation might fill the bit of neg-space...

signmeup

Damn! That's nice church! Find something in the architecture like a little detail from the windows or some such to tie the signs to the place. Maybe arch the tops of the panels like the windows?
(I think Isigns right btw)

Jillbeans

It is a nice church. It's really nice inside too.
I like Doug's idea about the arrows.
May have to change South Butler County to SBC even though I hate initials because it's screwing up my nice neat line now.
Any better?

Attachments

• GRC3.jpg
    GRC3.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 109

Jillbeans

I am really appreciating all the help.
This is one of those jobs I was excited to get, then I overthought it and got burned out even before I started.
Here's another try, with South Butler abbreviated (gasp) and Adrian's gothic window suggestion.
It might be too red looking but I think it's much nicer than my first attempt, and I wouldn't have thought of any of this on my own.
I get a million ideas wehn someone asks for help on here but sometimes I struggle with my own jobs.
:thankyou::signs101:

Attachments

• GRC4.jpg
    GRC4.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 95