• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Best shop temperature?

Pski89

What is the idea temperature for the shop to be? I am noticing overnight my vinyl shrinking and transfer tape not sticking.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Transfer tape not sticking could be more of an issue with humidity. Our shop is anywhere between 65F and 75F. We don't bother with any dehumidifier, hasn't been an issue in the 17yrs I've been with the co.

Pski89

right, also getting vinyl curling over nights, since currently we are not temperature controlled. and understandable cast vinyl is probably solve that issue, but at $600 for this 3M stuff I need to use it up first.
just dont want to close for the winter, and not sure what to do.. currently its 55 F in here..

rjssigns

T-shirt and blue jean "weather" is a good shop temp.

For all intents and purposes its 2022. Live a little and have an HVAC shop install some type of heater. My vote is Space-Ray but I own two and love 'em.
Causing nothing but grief trying to run jobs in cold temps.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that's too cold for a working environment, let alone a print shop. Not to mention, that most likely creates a problem for your printers trying to keep things at a certain temperature for printing. You're adding more stress to your machines. They're probably not performing properly.

Pski89

T-shirt and blue jean "weather" is a good shop temp.

For all intents and purposes its 2022. Live a little and have an HVAC shop install some type of heater. My vote is Space-Ray but I own two and love 'em.
Causing nothing but grief trying to run jobs in cold temps.
Do they have any non-open flame? aka Electric?

rjssigns

scratch that, my dad just told me those are sealed heaters and ok for indoors,. ill look into it< thanks
Sealed combustion is the reason I got them. I occasionally paint cars, motorcycles and work with thinners and solvents. Can't afford to have a fire or explosion.
Maintenance so far consists of blowing the dust off the tubes for heating season.
The oldest unit has got to be approaching 30 years. Newest about 25 years.

There are electric unit heaters too, but heating a shop with electric anything will consume any profits.
Kinda like my old TIG welder. Costs about 9 bucks an hour for electricity.

Pski89

Sealed combustion is the reason I got them. I occasionally paint cars, motorcycles and work with thinners and solvents. Can't afford to have a fire or explosion.
Maintenance so far consists of blowing the dust off the tubes for heating season.
The oldest unit has got to be approaching 30 years. Newest about 25 years.

There are electric unit heaters too, but heating a shop with electric anything will consume any profits.
Kinda like my old TIG welder. Costs about 9 bucks an hour for electricity.
gotcha, thanks! ill be looking into one of those.

ikarasu

Look into better insulation too.

I have a setup at home in my garage, and its un heated... Last winter I needed 3 radiant heaters to keep the temp up in there... I put some reflectix over the door and now 1 radiant heater on medium makes it hotter in there than my house... and it's about $5 a month to run on medium.

Find your drafty areas - insulation foam is like $10 a sheet for a 4x8. Even if you still need a heater... if you're able to add some insulation it will cut your electricity bill down by quite a bit.

John Miller

In the 80s my 1000sf shop was heated by a coal stove, tend it twice a day and many winter days we had windows open, Ct. Now I have two gas fired unit heaters in 3000sf, they've been doing the job since 1985. About 70 day 60 evening.

96XP

Look into better insulation too.

I have a setup at home in my garage, and its un heated... Last winter I needed 3 radiant heaters to keep the temp up in there... I put some reflectix over the door and now 1 radiant heater on medium makes it hotter in there than my house... and it's about $5 a month to run on medium.

Find your drafty areas - insulation foam is like $10 a sheet for a 4x8. Even if you still need a heater... if you're able to add some insulation it will cut your electricity bill down by quite a bit.
Am a small operator, built a new little studio this winter and went with 6" walls, vaulted ceiling and heavy duty insulation. Two computers running constantly just about keeps it comfortable in cooler temps. No regrets.

Attachments

• _MG_7097.JPG
    _MG_7097.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 133
  • _MG_7098.JPG
    _MG_7098.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 129

tulsagraphics

70F w/ about 45-50% humidity is really good (if you can maintain it). Some HVAC systems do a better job at dehumidifying than others. For my shop, I have to run a separate dehumidifier to keep it in that 45-50% sweet spot.