• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to cut coroplast after printed vinyl is applied

RL67POLO

We've been running into some issues latey with cutting down coroplast on our wall cutter after a 4x8 unlaminated digital print is mounted on it.

its temporary signage so no lam needed, what would be the best or most efficient way to trim these down into like 2x2 signs without skuffing the prints

appreciate any advice on this

TheDude

I've never cut vinyl applied to coroplast but I have cut vinyl and Ive also cut coroplast, and it seems like it would be a lot easier to cut the two separately then apply the vinyl. It may be too late at this point, but just my $.02. Strictly out of curiosity, why did you decide to apply then cut?

player

If cutting can be done easily and properly, printing full sheets, applying them with a laminator, then cutting would be a pretty efficient method.

S'N'S

After applying the print I usually just use a heavy Olfa knife with a new blade and straight edge, don't try to cut thru in one go, I kinda score thru the top on 1st go and the thru the rest on 2nd go.

w2csa

I use a olfa knife as well across the flutes and then use a flute cutter along the flutes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Much depends on how many the project will yield.

If you're talking 2 or 3 sheets, then a knife. If it's more like 50 or 75, I'd use a Fletcher or Keen Cutter. If you continually do 75 a week, I'd look into a large semi-automatic guillotine cutter.

bigben

If you continually do 75 a week, I'd look into a large semi-automatic guillotine cutter.

Sorry for the :thread but I will have a job that will required around 210 sheets of PVC to be cut 2in X 94in. It will be a recurrent job. I did not know there was large format guillotine. Can you point me a manufacturer? I did not find one on google. Thanks.

boxerbay

OP - use some 3M green tape to tape the area on your cutter that is scratching the prints.

big ben - look up foster keencut or fletcher or sawtraxx

we have a foster keencut Evo2 104" A W E S O M E ! ! !

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Alibaba.com
Guillotine IDEA 65 cm semi automatic

A Keen 124 would probably do just nice. A long 2" piece might not go that well. I've only ever seen them in use and they cut literally 35 or so sheets at a time, but 2" might be tough on their tolerance. Don't know. The OP here was looking for 2' x 2' end cuts. Much easier to clamp down onto. Sounds like you're doing over 5,000 end pieces at a time. That's a lot.

boxerbay

blades and straight edges? yeah if its a few. If you have 300- 96x48 sheets to cut down to 2x2. hand cutting each one probably isnt the best approach. hes probably stacking 5 sheets in the cutter. use low tack transfer tape on the top one so it doesn't get scratched. only where the blade slices. use the narrow roll of transfer tape.

if the registration is not very tight and you've accounted for extra bleed in the prints then I would slice the board down the long way. stack them. then cut then 10 at a time in our paper guillotine. Our guillotine mouth is only 40" so 48 will not fit.

This. Can't believe this was a serious question. What sign shops don't have straightedges and knives and know how to use them?

boxerbay

big ben - you might be better off ordering your PVC from a plastics shop where they have a flatbed cutter router. then just order the PVC already cut. this way you dont have to invest in a cutter for just one client.