• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to cut Maxmetal, E-panel, DiBond ACM?

jeffkics

Sign Says

right now I cut and snap with a utility knife, but it always curls the edges and leaves sharp edges. How do I get nice clean cuts?

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Routers are your best bet if you have registration.
If they are blanks and you a have square cuts then there are a lot of nice options for saw blades.

There are also some nice linear cutters but i personally am not a fan of those.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

right now I cut and snap with a utility knife, but it always curls the edges and leaves sharp edges. How do I get nice clean cuts?
What brand ACM are you using? That's how I cut and on cheap thin ACM I notice it will bend. Thicker aluminum face won't.

chinaski

I use a panel saw but I'm considering purchasing a Keencut for cleaner edge finish, eliminate debris and changing of the blades. I've heard the downside of Keencut is "edge curl", but I've also seen they've introduced a new composite head that will reduce this quite a bit.

Would anyone cut with a keencut/fletcher over a panel saw for cutting dibond assuming you already had both? I'm not doing so much signage as I am exhibition work, so the cutting edge is probably more important in my case.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I've got the new composite head on my steeltrak. Still subtle rollover, so if you're looking for a completely perpendicular edge, you might want want to consider the noise and muck from a good track saw with the correct blade. I (and my clients) don't have a problem with the very subtle roll at the edge. I'm producing photographic exhibitions for artists and galleries.

New composite head also dramatically reduces the flex on the LHS of the cut.

Scotchbrite

No comment
A stomp shear is only about $1000-1500. It will make your life much easier. We bought a hydraulic shear a few years ago, no regrets with that.
I would love to get a hydraulic shear that could cut 10' sheets of 1/8" aluminum, but I've always been too afraid to even price check something like that. I figure it would be be damn expensive.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I would love to get a hydraulic shear that could cut 10' sheets of 1/8" aluminum, but I've always been too afraid to even price check something like that. I figure it would be be damn expensive.
I bought a 52" hydraulic. You can get a no frills 10' starting in the 30s I think. I'm lucky that we have a few customers that will let me use their 12' shears whenever we need one. They're all less than a mile from my shop which is nice.

petepaz

our biggest shear only goes to 37". would kill for a 10ft automatic shear.... i can dream
but they do leave a nice clean edge