• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

bit of a problem

Techman

In my opinion...
Its not your decision. You do not know his intentions on the job.
Any attempt to do anything but what he asks is stealing his rights as a business owner to make decisions.

Your job is to do it 110% of your ability. Make him shine and you will shine. Give any passive resistance and you will be just another blue collar worker.

Do to 110% as best you can and you will be as a worker.. priceless.

Flubber

Techman, It may not be my decision but if i dnt put my two cents in then what if he makes a decision and it cost him big time well if i can prevent that i will but it sounds like to me you are saying i should keep my mouth shut and just do the job with no questions asked...correct me if im wrong please....and yes i do know his intentions "he is trying to be CHEAP" and i dnt like doing crappy work..

wouldnt you want your employees to be able to voice their opinion? I mean it just might help in the long run dnt u think..... two heads are better than one!

walters signs

if u get paid by the hour just do it. you should explain to him that $30 woth of cheap lam will still speed this job up a bunch and save him money. Its not that hard if u have low expectations of the $300 wrap.

ur boss has got to be losing money on this job so it must be a friend.

Flubber

No I think he just has to get every job that walks in the door. I only wish i could explain that but he complains about something taking 5min to long....he says and i quote "it may not seem like much time now but if you look at it over a months time you will see how much time you have lost"......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I too, like to get every job that walks in the door, but a long time ago, I realized that it pays off better to give your employees all the tools and spend more on that end, thus reducing labor. If your customer can afford $300 he can afford $400 or $500 if you sell the job correctly.

Having the proper tools and doing things in a sensible fashion will always pay off better than taking short cuts and using inferior tools, media and supplies.

Getting back to spending more than the customer wants…… how many people prefer a good set of tires on their car vs. getting too small or lousy tread patterns to save a buck ?? Why cut corners in the wrong places ?? Express this concern for your customer’s signs or vehicles and let them make the decision to go cheap. That decision is not up to the sign shop after someone bids it out wrong. If someone wants to splurge or go cheap here or there… it should be because they know all of the details, not what someone wants to do behind closed doors.

As for his last statement…. making you work on something that should take 30 minutes and it takes 10 or 15 minutes longer will add up if you do enough jobs in a month’s time where they’ll add up. However, if this was caused by his poor planning and wrong tools…. it’s his fault, not yours.

Flubber

Thanks for the clarification gino, i just wanting to know if i was wrong for complaining.....oh and by the way me and my boss came to an agreement that he will probably be losing money.....blahahaha i knew it!!! Sucks that we just cant cancel but he now knows the job will be way less than perfect....

I know that he probably just lets what i say go in one ear and out the other but at least i tried.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think any boss let's anything pass between their ears without it registering one way or another. Everything a boss does is calculated and it sounds like your boss takes too many risks. He could easily get mad at me for saying this, but sometimes the truth hurts.

Again, I don't like spending more than I have to, but it is my livelihood to keep customers coming back as long as possible and that won't happen if I cut corners on their projects. You're only fooling yourself if you try to deceive your customers and word gets out.

Always, fair and honest pricing along with good professional workmanship will keep getting customers in the door and eventually more will come if you just stay above board with your ethics.

Billct2

I would go ahead and do it, although I'm a "dry" guy I'd probably use a bunch of Rapidtac on this one and ask the boss to be the extra hand for laying this down so he can share the misery.

mfatty500

Yes, you get what you pay for and you get paid from the neck down! Do it his way , he'll eat his words or in this case( the vinyl). He must be a strawboss you do the work he get's the credit. eh?