• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blogging... what's that like?

signmeup

I'm interested in starting a blog... I think. To post something to a blog is it like posting a few lines and a picture on Facebook? I just tried that and it's really easy. Is that what a blog is like? Maybe there's a link to "Blogs for Dummies" someone knows about?

Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

That's what it is like. Post a picture tell a little about it, there are plenty guides about how to make a blog, you can Google for that and then you also read other stuff about how to improve etc. .. But in real it is you that is doing the texting and being able to write a story your way is all that will happen in real. ..Just do it tie it to your website is best and you will get more involved as time goes on.

Knows of several that do real well with a blog.

signmeup

I have a domain name that I'm not using. Do I use that for my blog... site?

I know so little about blogs that I can't even think up a question to Google if that makes any sense. I Googled "blogs for Dummies" and it helped a bit.

WildWestDesigns

Just do it tie it to your website is best and you will get more involved as time goes on.

For one of my customers I had her blog tied into her website via a RSS feed.

I can't remember how many times I had to set that thing back up after they were doing little changes that they didn't have the patience to tell and let me do it, so I had even more work to do.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I think if you use your website and manage it with something like Joomla there are multiple blog plugins you can add on.

Blogging / FB / Twitter, etc...... never before have so many people had so much to say about so little. :smile:

WildWestDesigns

Blogging / FB / Twitter, etc...... never before have so many people had so much to say about so little. :smile:

That's true, but it plays on a very important human trait and that is wanting to know the "gossip" that is going through their particular "sphere" of interest.

It used to be for survival long ago, now it's just to get the "dirt" on what's going on out there.

canuck

How do you change the look of these things?

Search for free Wordpress themes and upload them zipped via the admin portal of your Wordpress blog. Also look at the multitude of plugins available for wordpress.

I would recommend some security plugins to start off and disable comments.

http://blog.eng.usm.my/myweblog/the-15-best-wordpress-plugins-to-use-in-2011

http://dailytechpost.com/index.php/11-best-wordpress-security-plugins/

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/

Sign_Boy

Kevin-shopVOX

How do I make my own theme? Or at least modify one to suit me?

You can use the admin panel or a text editor ( I use dreamweaver). I would recommend a text editor as if you can't really undo errors through the admin panel. Editing them is fairly easy. You just have to know how the php calls the pages and which pages make up the different components of your site. Header, content, side bar and footer. Additionally locate the style sheet to modify structure/layout within those components.

Jim Doggett

I'm interested in starting a blog... I think. To post something to a blog is it like posting a few lines and a picture on Facebook? I just tried that and it's really easy. Is that what a blog is like? Maybe there's a link to "Blogs for Dummies" someone knows about?

I think it's of limited value; you'll have fun writing it but few will read it.

Micro-blogging (twitter, etc.) tends to be less work and gets you some measure of cred. But even then, few will read it who aren't your faithful followers, already (friends and family).

Money-making in blog-land comes in two forms, essentially: you're a popular politico/whatever and have enough traffic that you can sell banner ads; you use auto-blogging software* to build traffic for a niche audience, and then make money off of affiliate programs, selling whatever is available that will appeal to the niche audience, and which has an affiliate program (pays you a commission on the sale of the product).

*Auto populates related articles on "your" blog. Create as many blogs/URLs as there are niche markets you can identify as being of merit and potentially under-served. People make big money doing this.

My $0.02,

iSign

I think it's of limited value; you'll have fun writing it but few will read it.

Micro-blogging (twitter, etc.) tends to be less work and gets you some measure of cred. But even then, few will read it who aren't your faithful followers, already (friends and family).

Money-making in blog-land... People make big money doing this.

My $0.02,

Hogwash... You sound like a vinyl salesman that considered quitting his day job and following a get rich quick scheme blogging... and then discovered you wouldn't get rich...

Sure, it has "limited value"... show me something with unlimited value?

As entrepreneurs, we must keep dropping another drop in the marketing bucket, and also, keep getting back to production and sales...

I'm far from using mine anywhere near the potential that should be exploited... but I'd still describe it as far less limited than your nay-sayer comments would seem to imply... unless you are really just speaking to amassing wealth... which is not the topic at hand...

Jim Doggett

Hogwash... You sound like a vinyl salesman that considered quitting his day job and following a get rich quick scheme blogging... and then discovered you wouldn't get rich...

Sure, it has "limited value"... show me something with unlimited value?

As entrepreneurs, we must keep dropping another drop in the marketing bucket, and also, keep getting back to production and sales...

I'm far from using mine anywhere near the potential that should be exploited... but I'd still describe it as far less limited than your nay-sayer comments would seem to imply... unless you are really just speaking to amassing wealth... which is not the topic at hand...

Yeah; sorry. No doubt sign-makers are bringing in new business in droves because they have a "Read Our Blog" component on their Web site.

Quick show of hands?

Or would time be better-spent dropping off a business card at businesses around town with awful/ineffective signage?

Whadaya think?

signmeup

Yeah; sorry. No doubt sign-makers are bringing in new business in droves because they have a "Read Our Blog" component on their Web site.

Quick show of hands?

Or would time be better-spent dropping off a business card at businesses around town with awful/ineffective signage?

Whadaya think?
I think it must be somewhat of a good idea or businesses wouldn't have blogs. I figured it couldn't hurt and it might be fun-ish.