• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Book Review: Inside Sign Design: How to Design Interior and Exterior Signage

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I saw this book being posted on Sign Syndicate, bought the download version, thought I would share it here.

Many here are only doing basic sign types, but for those who are looking to grow your business or your career in electrical and interior sign design or want to tighten your design and presentations, this is the book for you. I am not kidding when I say that what took me a year or so to learn, you can read in 2 days and reference it as you go along. I knew this information already and I practice it, most of my reading is in the pursuit of getting higher end work, but this is a great book that addresses sign design at the sign shop level.

You can find it here:
http://chatterboxdesigns.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=83&vmcchk=1&Itemid=83

You can look at a sample of it here:
http://issuu.com/chatterbox/docs/1_mainpreview_insidesigndesign_nov09_a

signgal

Thanks Rick. There's something to be said for affirmation in what you've learned the hard way is the right way after all :)

Rick

I don't know about learning the hard way, since I have been employed most of my design career, it was my employers that had to learn the hard way, I got to observe it. If I was really smart, I would be working for someone right now.

I don't know about other designers, but I collect other peoples presentations. I take the ideas of their presentation and incorporate them into my process. I'm always trying to fine tune my system. This book should get a shop closer to implementing a standard process, especially for self taught shops, which a majority on this site are.

Rick

$140 for the paperback version?!

That might sound steep, but if I was a sign designer wanting to get more skills, and that knowledge might possibly get me a raise or a higher rate, then it's a drop in the bucket... oh and I got the downloadable version (55 bucks) Since I have over 1000 books, one more is not going to make that big of a difference.

By the way I got a call from him, nice guy, he forwarded me some templates and section views. Stuff already have, but great if you don't.

neato

Yep, I agree with Rick 100%. This is an area of design I'm wanting to break into. I bought the book a couple months ago. It's packed full of great info for anyone wanting to get into electrical sign design. The price is nothing. The knowledge you get for a measly $140 is priceless. And like the author states over and over, where else are you going to learn this stuff? There's no school to learn sign design.

And yes, the author is a great guy and very helpful and knowledgeable.

SignManiac

Of all the tools I've invested in, $150.00 is dirt cheap! Especially as Rick says, if it can help you improve your profit margins by doing higher end work.

SignManiac

I would like to add....I wish I could afford to hire Rick! He's a walking knowledge base that I would really love to have available in my company. With him, I'd be chasing the big money guys! Thanks Rick for all of your contributions over the years.

cgsigns_jamie

This is too funny Rick. I too purchased the e-book and I told Mike (the author) I'd have to right up a review to post on Signs101. I guess you beat me to it.

As Rick said, this book is awesome, and anyone who works (or wants to work with) electric signage must have at least one copy. This book will same me tons of time and money training a new designer (when the time comes).

WELL worth the $150 price tag. I purchased the $55 PDF and still plan to buy the paperback.

iSign

wow... the guy is a real tool now that he's here. I was going to tell him I liked his title block & the overall layout of his elevation & section views on the proof... but it was for such a clusterous horrorshow of design I decided not to bother... I guess that must be his strength since Rick seems to mention that, and of all his many offerings today, the proof & title block layouts are the only things he has going for him that I've seen so far..

...well, that and people skills :biggrin:

iSign

well, they say don't judge a book by it's cover.. I guess that can be extended to "don't judge a book by it's author" :omg:

Rick

Yeah... I have been mute on the whole thing today because maybe there is something going on. Seems slightly out of character from the person I have talked too and had contact with. The guy I talked to is high energy and passionate about his work and the business.

I still recommend the book because it explains the process of sign design at the average sign shop. You will get up to speed faster with the book. To me, it's not about sign design, it's about the process at the sign shop level. There are issues with the book, some are design, some are his limited experience with Illustrator and no mention of environmental graphic design. Some of the differences are, in my opinion, my experience is different than his is in the sign business, so I saw no reason to comment on those issues.

What went on today was a near meltdown. I normally do not get involved with those types of threads because I see no need to explain my level of expertise to anyone when commenting on design issues.

Some of you fellow sign designers who were berated, I consider extremely knowledgeable, and open minded. Some of you I have been reading your posts for over 10 years and I value and respect your opinions. I think it's too bad none of the comments were not taken as solid, sound advice from experienced craftsmen who really care about the business and have showed it by years and years of contributions in this forum and Letterville. I can imagine if there was a book that was a collaborative effort of everyone's individual experiences... that would be something.

iSign

didn't mean to force your hand here, as I agree that you certainly do not need to explain your expertise around here... and I still don't doubt it is a valuable collection of information, because of the credibility of your recommendation Rick... and that's what made this incongruous to me too... but as for the old saying, "those who can - do... those who cannot - teach" ...in my opinion, it was never just a dig... I think that saying is a fact, like a boxers trainer, or any athletes coach... teaching is often quite a different art from the art one teaches...

Craig Sjoquist

wow this looks like a good book ... you young people into the sign industry got it going on ... all ya got to do is read from what others have learned and apply