• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brand names & logos

WeLoveU

Hello to everybody

So here’s the deal. Sign making or decal cutting is not something I have had experience before. I have thinking of about it last 6 months though cause it is not just seems like a way to make living, but really to do something with passion and offer people products that they really love. I have many great ideas about vinyl decals as well some lifestyle products that i really would like to offer to those who are after them. Now the good thing is that there is plenty of information around and googling alone gives you all the basics you need to start off. But there is one particular topic that cuts me off the progress at the moment and that is legality of using logos and artwork.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

As I understand (correct me if i am wrong) when you want to use a brand logo for example and sell your product there is two possible ways to do it:

A) Get a permission from original holder of the copyright

or

B)Buy a product from an authorized distributor and sell it then.

Now there is a row of questions I came up but can’t really get the answer that i am looking for from web.

1. Let’s say you want to get a permission to print and sell a logo of popular brand from an original owner. That does probably require proof of huge sale numbers no matter how good your idea is right?

2. Let’s say i want to buy a large amount of brand name stickers from a random manufacturer. How can I make sure the seller has copyrights? Do I have to ask any particular proof from seller or contact original owner of the brand logo and ask them instead?

3. How can i really determine what can I sell and what not? It is obvious that “Porsche” logo is protected but what about numbers “911” or lets say the letters “GT”.

4. Is there a thing like a logo or brand name manipulation - changing part of the logo or name. For example making a Red Bull logo but having cats’ instead of bulls. Or adding extra letter end of the brand name. For example “Apples” instead of “Apple” which of course means that an user can just remove letter “s” and still have a original name of the brand. Is it legit?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know that laws vary in different countries and there is probably no straightforward answers but I would bring as much glance into the subject for myself as well other beginners so one could make his living in honest way. Also i personally would like to create something original not to just copy others products. Any information, experience, examples or articles (if not overly complex clauses) would be much appreciated.

Nice to be here and thanks in advance :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You seem to know just enough on the subject that you're gonna get in trouble. No offense, but with your writing skills or understanding of English, you might turn things around a little without knowing it and get yourself in trouble and not even know it. If I were you, I'd turn to a professional [an attorney] in your country and get their interpretation.

For the most part, you can't use anything you find without having to pay for it. Someone..... somewhere along the line owns just about everything out there to be used..... as far a logo/artwork duplication goes.

There are countless threads on this very subject all over this site. Do yourself a favor and do some searches here, read it, digest it.... then come back with questions.

iSign

Just sell drugs

You're in way over your head with delusions that any of what you speak of will be fun, useful to others, and profitable for you... all while imagining it is legal

It's not, won't be, and isn't

WeLoveU

Fair enough. I am glad You guys said it out as it is. I have no intention to try my luck and get into the trouble.

At least now i know how to act when i come across with the subject. I am working on my own original work at the moment but also considering buying some brand stickers from a industrial seller and want to make sure things go as they should.

I also don't mind if community finds this thread to be deleted at some point whatever the reasons are. I am not here to spoil the forums but just clear things up formyself.

Thanks for advice and i will keep searching the forum :smile:

bloobird0

B or not B, you will need A anyways... even if you buy from someone who is licensed to sell a brand/logo decal, this does not mean that you are automatically allowed to sell the product with that brand/logo.

Marlene

unless you design it, you don't own it. you can try and get an OK from those who do own it but chances are they would like to make the money from their logo and aren't willing to share it with an outsider. also there is how you use their logo that is a concern. they will want to control the usage. it may be a bad idea to try to get into this