• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brand New HP Latex 335 wont turn on

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yes, new. However it is at home (we lost out shop). We are doing virtual training since my child is high risk. I was told by the company we bought it from that we are responsible for having 2 outlets ready and within that voltage range of 220 and 240.
Yes overvoltage can cause it to trip. I would put an inline power conditioner in place to prevent overvolting.

The power specification in the site prep guide references 220v power, with +/- 20v. In the event that the input voltage is outside of this range, a buck boost transformer is required. The specs for the transformer are as follows:

1-phase buck boost step-up transformer 240V primary – 208 secondary at 26.6 Amps – 50/60Hz

amw

Longtime Members
The power specification in the site prep guide references 220v power, with +/- 20v. In the event that the input voltage is outside of this range, a buck boost transformer is required. The specs for the transformer are as follows:

1-phase buck boost step-up transformer 240V primary – 208 secondary at 26.6 Amps – 50/60Hz

I told them what you said! They think its crazy that it cant handle the extra 5 volts.
After a lot of back and forth this is what we are getting. Hopefully installed tomorrow.
Do we need one on the printer circuit as well? That has powered on ok.

I told them what you said! They think its crazy that it cant handle the extra 5 volts.
After a lot of back and forth this is what we are getting. Hopefully installed tomorrow.

It would be preferable that all input voltages are within the specification defined in the site prep guide.- see attached.

Attachments

• power.JPG
    power.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Agree
Reactions: amw

Christian @ 2CT Media

That's not 5v over its 25v over. The machines is designed to run 220v with a tolerance of 20v due to the variances in service voltages (208, 215, 220, 230, 240v) across their install base.

greysquirrel

The printer really likes to be less than 230v at all times...you can have irregular head issues/failures even if you are at 233-235v

Steenland

Old Member
Even if your electrician thinks it's nuts, if you want HP to honor the warranty, the voltage to both printer circuits needs to be under 240v.

We had the same high voltage issue before installing our L365 recently. The power company said our voltage was "within tolerance," so it was our problem to deal with.

We purchased two Buck/Boost transformers (one for each circuit) to reduce the voltage. This is what we used:
Acme Electric T181050 Buck-Boost Transformer
amazon.com/gp/product/B007IBWZ84

You may need a different model. Ask your electrician. They come with instructions for the electrician on how to wire them for your circumstances.

netsol

sorry guys, the electrician is ansolutely correct
setting up data rooms over the last 40 years, we have had this problem several times
most recently with a good client's tennant
we often laugh about how a client expects us to "lower the town's voltage"
(AND YES, THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 240 VDC & 245 VDC IS MINOR)
in an industrial setting there is often a (large) stepdown transformer with multitaps & the adjustment is made by moving one wire

the tech at HP could probably be reassigned to a job with their capabilities

steenland, unless you live on the most perfect power grid in existence, if you like i will loan you one of those old fashioned expanded scale line voltage monitors. and you can watch the needle bounce for a week or two. after a few days, you will wonder how any of our equipment survives the day to day fluctuations we all have

we often have to document this with a strip chart recorder (very old school) or a meter that connects to a laptop & saves a file before we "get our way" in disputes withn a manufacturer

that being said, i hope hp can rethink their answer (being hp it isn't always in their nature)

Steenland

Old Member
Netsol, I don't disagree with you. I'm certainly no expert. I just don't want to give HP an excuse to not honor their warranty. In the grand scheme, it was simpler (and may end up being cheaper) for me to install the transformers to comply with HP's specs, rather than take a chance on them not covering the printer in case of a problem.

netsol

steenland
i really am on your side on this, and hp can be difficult

it makes me wonder though, if it isn't an issue of "localization" in other words do they have the correct power module or control board for for north america 220v 60 hz?

you would think that these things go bezerk every time there is a storm, then

much of this equipment has a dip switch or set of jumpers to set their operating range so your supply voltage "falls in the middle" of the acceptable range. just wondering if it is possible your hp tech was unfamiliar with the setup process and since no one came out if you fell through the cracks

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

Can't understand why someone would sell you a machine that cannot be installed properly. Did you really need a machine right now in the first place? Must have been Grimco lol.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Can't understand why someone would sell you a machine that cannot be installed properly. Did you really need a machine right now in the first place? Must have been Grimco lol.
He answered it in a post, He is working from home and has a child that is high risk. The dealer opted to work with him remotely.

amw

Longtime Members
Sounds like you have high voltage at your house. Have you checked you 110VAc outlets?

Those read 120-122 according to my electrician and a few others i have talked to this is what they usually see in this area. Power company says it is not their problem (of course).

amw

Longtime Members
Yes, we have work waiting. We are switching from eco solvent (roland) to the hp. The roland needs new heads (we have had it for 13 years) and I dont want to put any money into it. I was going to go with another roland however i thought the latex would be a better choice since we now have to work from home. I was told (over the phone) that the spec was 220-240 +- 20v ...our power was within that. That was the wrong info otherwise this would have gone much smother. Now that we know that the voltage was a little too high that will be corrected today and hopefully things will go much faster.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yes, we have work waiting. We are switching from eco solvent (roland) to the hp. The roland needs new heads (we have had it for 13 years) and I dont want to put any money into it. I was going to go with another roland however i thought the latex would be a better choice since we now have to work from home. I was told (over the phone) that the spec was 220-240 +- 20v ...our power was within that. That was the wrong info otherwise this would have gone much smother. Now that we know that the voltage was a little too high that will be corrected today and hopefully things will go much faster.

Ok, thank goodness.

amw

Longtime Members
Marsha & Tony-
Has the issue been resolved? Are you up and running?

Thanks for asking.
Not yet, the electrician wanted to wait till we had 2 to install one for each circuit. He has them and is planning on installing them tomorrow afternoon.
I hope this is all that is needed and then the thing starts right up!

amw

Longtime Members
So UPDATE:
The electrician installed both of them last night and the voltage is 215.5 at the outlet (both). I was to tired to plug it in and do the set up so this morning I went to plug it in and it still does the same thing... the "printer power cord" is fine. However when you plug in the "curing power cord" both breakers trip just like before. I am guessing that no place is open till Tuesday.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!!