• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bringing back the NHB

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Yes, of course.

For all those who respond 'No':

Would you be deprived of some benefit currently being enjoyed?

Would your spine curve or hair grow in the palms of your hands if there were to exist a place where people were free to express an actual unabashed opinion?

Would you be harmed by this in any way?

Would you be forced to participate in some way or another?

Has any human being ever been harmed by words and/or ideas no matter how much you might disagree with them? That's actually harmed, experiencing something you might find distasteful or unpleasant that might offend your delicate sensibilities does not count a harm in the real world.

Or, as is more likely, you possess a not uncommon streak of puritanical zeal, especially when it comes to others possibly enjoying themselves?

Be honest, try to discard all of the inane rationalizations against having the NHB back; is it Yet Another manifestation of the unfortunate human tendency to want to control others?

Do you have anything resembling a sound and valid reason for stifling a free exchange of ideas?

Do you feel that there exists ideas and notions which should not be heard?

What he said. I seriously miss the adult reverie it provided. I thought it made this place unique as a site that encompassed outlets for anything we might want to broach. Sad that it's gone despite my initial agreement with the decision.

GB2

Old Member
Feel free to close this thread.

:goodpost:

No to your question...this is a completely inappropriate place for such a thing. It absolutely degraded this entire forum and I'm sure Fred can attest that it was having or was about to have a financial impact on sponsorship too.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The harm that was caused was the very real emotional hurt to some members on reading some posts. In addition, there was a measurable loss of participation by some highly valuable members. In my view as owner/manager, this meant a very real chance that Signs 101 traffic would decline along with the quality of the discussions related to actual sign making. So yes, not some but many members stood to see the benefit of a useful and relevant discussion forum based around the profession of sign making harmed.

I can well understand that this is a business and you want to construct it such to provide maximum return for you. Nothing wrong with that. That being the case then why the what appear to be gratuitous rationalizations for discontinuing the NHB sandbox?

'Emotional hurt'? Even if there were such a thing, anyone who chooses to participate in something is responsible for that choice.

Your last sentence seems a bit confusing. Were the NHB fora in lieu of any or all of the others? Did any of the often abundant venom in the NHB section somehow leak over into the traditional sections? Was anyone required to participate In the NHB area in order to avail themselves of the other discussions?

It's your playpen, you get to make the rules be they by arbitrary fiat or via well considered deliberation. But, for a while, you had something that was rather enjoyable and entertaining that really didn't cost anyone anything. I'm amused by number those who condemn the NHB while, at the same time, declare that they would never participate in such goings on. That smacks of missing a real good opportunity to mind one's own business.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
'Emotional hurt'? Even if there were such a thing, anyone who chooses to participate in something is responsible for that choice.

Yes they are, but in a busy world participants have been known to forget the original conditions made clear when they joined. This was the case with the incident that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Your last sentence seems a bit confusing. Were the NHB fora in lieu of any or all of the others? Did any of the often abundant venom in the NHB section somehow leak over into the traditional sections? Was anyone required to participate In the NHB area in order to avail themselves of the other discussions?

Yes it had Bob. I thought that had been made clear.

It's your playpen, you get to make the rules be they by arbitrary fiat or via well considered deliberation. But, for a while, you had something that was rather enjoyable and entertaining that really didn't cost anyone anything. I'm amused by number those who condemn the NHB while, at the same time, declare that they would never participate in such goings on. That smacks of missing a real good opportunity to mind one's own business.

It was a well considered decision. I agree that the NHB had some benefits. I too miss the relevant discussions that took place. I don't, however, miss some other things and have no regrets about ending a very mixed bag that had evolved into something that was no longer a plus for Signs 101.

Techman

you had something that was rather enjoyable and entertaining that really didn't cost anyone anything.

On the surface it seemed to have no affect on any one. Between the lines the spillover affected attitudes of some towards others. Some of which was the negative influence on positive informational posts.

Flame

It was entertaining...but honestly I get along better with some people simply NOT knowing their views on politics and religion.

qmr55

Why not try it somewhere else? Then it won't effect the forum here! Check this out....we can keep it off the sign forum, which for multiple reasons, we know will be better. Go here.

Fred: If you don't want this posted, remove this post!

GB2

Old Member
Instead of telling everyone where else they can go other than Signs101, why don't you all drop it and just enjoy the benefits of all the good things available here at Signs101.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Why not try it somewhere else? Then it won't effect the forum here! Check this out....we can keep it off the sign forum, which for multiple reasons, we know will be better. Go here.

Fred: If you don't want this posted, remove this post!

I wish you success and have no objection.

qmr55

Instead of telling everyone where else they can go other than Signs101, why don't you all drop it and just enjoy the benefits of all the good things available here at Signs101.

Oh no no no, I think you misunderstood what I am doing!

This is only for people to discuss one subject! Has nothing to do with getting people to go other then Signs101, I love it here and would not go to any other sign forum! I just believe those kind of discussions do not belong on a sign site at all, so people can stop arguing the topic here and just do it over there!

It won't be something that's moderated 24/7 it is just for the small amount of people who love those kind of topics, to have their fun.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
A thread in polls should have a poll.

I found it entertaining and don't hold any negative feelings toward anyone who disagreed with my point of view. I wouldn't mind seeing it again. If one doesn't want to partake, don't join...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I enjoyed it, didn't get into the name calling and swearing but was very interested in what others in the sign trade thought about issues not sign related.
First threads I always checked unless I was waiting for an answer to a question posted.

Place is a little dull now.
wayne k
guam usa

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...'Emotional hurt'? Even if there were such a thing, anyone who chooses to participate in something is responsible for that choice...

Yes they are, but in a busy world participants have been known to forget the original conditions made clear when they joined. This was the case with the incident that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back....

Seems a shame to lose something that brought harm to no one merely to assuage the delicate sensibilities of those who appear to possess only a dim comprehension of their own existence.

Every human being is responsible for its own condition. Catering to anyone who refuses to accept this responsibility is not doing anyone any favors. Neither the person receiving the special dispensation nor those having to forgo whatever it might be that the special person, or squad of persons, or whatever, finds distasteful. The latter lose because the former has a temper tantrum. A less than optimum state of affairs.

Dave Drane

can't have that now can we...

a little too politically correct, over protecting....

i can buy the argument that it was too much work, but that it hurt people's feelings..... really? if you get your feeling hurt participating in a forum that YOU personally had to subscribe to to even see it, you have major issues....

punish everyone for the sake of the weak!

:goodpost:

Marlene

no. I joined in the NHB section and think it was a good idea/bad idea all wrapped up in one. I like looking a views that are totally the opposite of mine as it is a way to grow but the NHB section wasn't like that for the most part. it got mean and nasty so there was little to learn and it felt more like a place to go to defend a point of view rather and talk about views. I don't miss it and commend Fred for keeping this site what it was intended to be and not letting it become something else.