• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bull Crap of the day

gabagoo

OK someone has to explain this to me. I am printing a load chart for a customer. Pretty detailed and it was completely redrawn in illustrator. Basically it is all black and white with one area of the chart that is in red with white knockout. I actually sent it out as bitmap so there would be no issues and I sent it at 1000 dpi...yes I know, overkill...and at 256 colours to keep the file smaller. The chart is about 18" x 18" . I bring it in, everything looks good and I send it to the Mimaki to print.
It printed very nice except the area with red was completely missing, yet I can see it in the rip and print and it's a bitmap.

How?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pictures..... or it didn't happen. Screen shot of the monitor, one of the rip and the print out itself.

Evan Gillette

I have had stuff show up on the PM preview and not print but it has always been vectors IIRC, I have also had stuff not show in the preview and then print just fine. I don't usually trust the PM preview much, especially for color previewing. Give us some better detail on workflow and file type if you have time.

Johnny Best

How come you don't save it as a .pdf in Illustrator and send it to the RIP like that, if it was completely redrawn in Illustrator as you mentioned. Sounds like you have a Gabagoo (unknown problem).

sardocs

I am sorry i can't help with your printing issue, but your thread title sums up post #2 perfectly.

TammieH

OK someone has to explain this to me. I am printing a load chart for a customer. Pretty detailed and it was completely redrawn in illustrator. Basically it is all black and white with one area of the chart that is in red with white knockout. I actually sent it out as bitmap so there would be no issues and I sent it at 1000 dpi...yes I know, overkill...and at 256 colours to keep the file smaller. The chart is about 18" x 18" . I bring it in, everything looks good and I send it to the Mimaki to print.
It printed very nice except the area with red was completely missing, yet I can see it in the rip and print and it's a bitmap.

How?
is the red on a non printable layer in Illustrator?

IsItFasst

Not sure I've had it happen with a bitmap but know I have had it with vectors where on very rare occasions one color doesn't print at all. Almost like when ripping it just forgets that color channel. But normally reprinting fixes it. Luckily these are few and far between (like once every 6 months to a year).

jfiscus

Rap Master
Never heard of that before with a raster image but I'm assuming maybe your rip only allows bitmaps with a certain color limit. I've never ever printed from a BMP except for separations during offset printing a long time ago... Maybe an alpha channel? IDK. Could also just be the rip processed it weird.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Sometimes our RIP misses things, but it's usually transparencies or the like. It's at 100% opacity when saving, right? (not that it should matter with a .bmp...)

JetPress

Only time I seen this happen is when there is an object that has "overprint" checked marked in Illustrator but that is with a file that hasn't been rasterized.

gabagoo

Thanks for all your input... This was just a normal vector drawing. The reason I converted to a tif file was that Flexi did not like some of the stroke data when it was sent across as an eps and some lines were missing, so to be safe I figured a bitmap would take care of those issues. The rip definately showed the red and it was solid. I don't monkey around with the settings in the rip too much so it was basically the same settings I would send any file. I'm going to call Flexi and find out how such a thing is possible.

Johnny Best

Why even mess with Flexi, garbage in garbage out, just save your Illustrator files as a .pdf or .eps if your so inclined and send to RIP.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Pictures..... or it didn't happen. Screen shot of the monitor, one of the rip and the print out itself.
So, where are the pictures? I wanna see pictures.
Then I want you to take Johnny's advice, and show pictures of that.