• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Burned out

slappy

So burned out and don't know if i'm coming or going anymore.... and need to get organized.
I need a production board or a job board to organize jobs from start to finish.
I'm not looking for a computer program.... i need something in my face that works with me.

Does anyone use one and would you mind snapping a pic to give me some ideas so i can better myself. I'm begging! lol...

Can text me also if you don't feel like posting on here to 724-815-0032 or if it's easier to do from a phone...

Thanks all :loveya::loveya::loveya:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Trello.com

Works great and it's free! Web browser based. Just create and account, then create a board, then add lists to the board for prospects, quotes, artwork, production, install, etc. Make sure to set the board as private so only you can see it. Invite employees if you have any. We have really started using it and it helps a lot for keeping track of things.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Trello worked good for the last shop I was at with a lower production level. (And it's free!)
We just purchased custom software here $$$$ because of all that we have to track.

Biker Scout

What's wrong with a big messy desk, and post-its all around the monitor? Isn't that the way us artsy folks work best?

petepaz

if you are wanting a physical board then look into getting a white board and then apply vinyl to it to organize it into different categories then use different colored markers to write things out.

Here is helpful thread http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...does-your-workflow-work&p=1169605#post1169605

this might be your best bet for big and right in front of your face.

here is what works for me
i have a steno pad i use and during the day i add to the list. jobs i am working on and if it's a rush i hi-lite it also at the bottom of the page i keep a separate list of materials i need to order.
at the end of the day i cross off what i did and add anything new i forgot. if it's something major or a meeting i have i will write a large note and pin it to the side of my cubicle so i have to walk by it all day so i can't miss it. usually after two to three days i start a new page. nothing that scientific or complicated. there will always be things that slip through the cracks from time to time but at least you have program in place to follow. you will be amazed how something as simple as a list helps keep things in check.

ExecuPrintGS

I use an excel spreadsheet broken down into
- "New Jobs" (stuff that i have never looked at)
- once i proof it it goes into a "Proofed" section where i have noted the date it was proofed and if multiple proofs have been sent, nothing moves from here until it is approved.
- Once approved it moves into my production list which has the "date in" (or date the job came across my desk) "customer name" "printed/ cut" (the printed/ cut field gets highlighted once a job has been... printed or cut) "media type" (so i can work flow better, multiple jobs on 18oz banner get run at the same time) "lamination (yes or no)", "mount on" "due date" and a "waiting on" (if the jobs approved but im waiting on material, permits, etc.)
- If a jobs done with production but waiting on install it gets moved onto the "To install" section... , if its nothing to install i bill the job and move the whole job onto my "weeks completed" list which has all of the details from that job as it went through production, and a total so i can track the amount of work billed that week.

I also have 4 file folder/ holders on my desk that have "new job", "proofed", "in production" and "printed"... anyone from our office can look at my list, find a job in that file folder and know exactly where a job is at every step of the way...

Hope that all makes sense.. works for the way i do things and i know my fiance who is also in the printing industry but in customer service does something similar to track jobs of hers as they go through production/ shipping.

artbot

if your not looking for a computer program/software you might try this. i have a calendar in corel that i simply drag projects and deadlines around. kind of signvox for dummies. it's been a huge help to go to the file and get a visual picture. i don't do well with dates. ...don't know most of my families birthdays. so this works how i think.

when i'm done i just screen cap the file and save it to a folder called CALENDAR.

Attachments

• first quarter 2014.jpg
    first quarter 2014.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 119

AnthonyRalano

Physically, my set up is like this.
4 sections for job folders...
1. Proofs
2. Waiting on approvals/ Revisions
3. Production
4. Installations
When it is proofed I send it to the second group. It sits there until I get the customers approval. Then it is placed in the production group. It either leaves there to the customer or it goes into the install group. When I come in I make a list from each group, renumber by priority and then get to work in an organized manner knowing everything that has to be done and what stage it is in.

jfiscus

Rap Master
This is my old Trello board.
YMMV on how you set up one of your own.
Once accounting "actually" billed the project they took the item off of the calendar.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 129

DizzyMarkus

We are super simple lol -- 2 cork boards -- 1 for quotes or possibles and 1 for production--3x5 index cards -- simple and cheap and hangable right next to my desk lol

Markus

Supergirl

I'm glad i'm not the only one LOL

I write software for living. I breathe computers. Vinyl is a side business, and yet, the software won't do it. I need it in my face, like you say.

i might try Trello, and i thought about a bulletin board, but i think physical post its work the best for me. I scratch as things get done and when there is too much scratched, i transfer to a clean sheet and add to it.

It's chaotic, but it works for now.

i'm going to keep reading here, maybe something will come up that's just as "in my face" but maybe a more neat way to do it.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 20140424_064528.jpg
    20140424_064528.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 141

Supergirl

Another thing that absolutely helped me is the concept of inboxzero. i can't find a video. it was from a google presentation.
in short, it's about uncluttering your inbox and filing and sorting of your emails.

while my approach is not as extreme as inbox zero, i have folders like pending, completed orders, never heard back, payments.
what i need to take care of, i leave as unread emails, the rest is filed accordingly and anything pending that's not 20 emails from same person, stays in inbox, until it's produced. then it gets filed. i try to keep it under 40 emails in the inbox itself.

same with private emails. either it gets done right away, or left as unread. i don't "sort or file" in my private inbox, but newsletters get now deleted daily and with the unread emails at the top, i don't forget something. if i can't get to it right away, i mark the email as unread and it stays at the top. i try to keep the unreads at 40 or less. that forces me to take care of older things, to make room for new unread emails.

it has truly changed my life for better.

EDIT:

found the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9UjeTMb3Yk

Kottwitz-Graphics

I've signed up for Trello as well. I was using note pads, and i would figure a quote, but it seems like i would loose the pad, or it would be at the office, and i would be out.

jfiscus

Rap Master
With physical paperwork, it can get lost. This can cause a few different problems.
One, you can lose the paperwork from notes you took from a potential new customer, and never be able to get them a quote.
Two, you can misplace and forget an active job, and then the customer's deadline comes and they arrive to pick up the job... that isn't complete.
Third, after the job is completed and picked up/installed it gets lost and never gets billed.

With a digital system, you have to manually delete or move the item for it to go away. So even if there is accompanying paperwork to your workflow you'll never forget to bill anyone!
If you have to have it "in your face" get another old computer that can access the internet and have it be your digital bulletin board only displaying the software.