• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Business Models

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
This is a book recommendation only...I have no affiliation with the authors / publisher, and I am in no way compensated for this plug.

This is too good not to share, especially for those who have been in business just a short time or those of you thinking about making the jump into your own business. Even seasoned business owners might glean something new.

If the words “Business Plan” evoke confusion and panic, then check out the link to this book about Business Models. It’s amazing. They offer a free teaser .pdf download of part of the book, just to get you interested, and it’s worth your time to review it.

Since we are a creative bunch, I’m sure all who read this will enjoy the hand sketched illustrations that so effectively describe the inner (and outer) workings of a business.
I come from a technical background and after being in business five years now, I’ve learned that technical skills alone just won’t cut it...just ask my accountant.

This book is for the “visually oriented” reader. They do an awesome job of describing how the concepts fit together in an interlocking fashion...way cool. Even the most inept, “business challenged” person can finally figure this stuff out.

When you think about it, a business plan is just a summary (in our own words) of a business model. Gaining an understanding of the model sure makes it a lot easier to understand the plan. I wish I could have found this information before I struggled through the rough draft of my first business plan.

What impressed me the most is the story behind the book. Much like Tom Sawyer, the authors enlisted the help of some 475 participants who actually PAID to help write the book. Now, that's one sucessful business model. Go figure! (They also include that business model at the end of the book)

Check it out, I think you’ll be impressed.

Web Page: http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com

Preview:http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/downloads/businessmodelgeneration_preview.pdf

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Aston

Hi Jim.

I discovered that book when it was a work-in-progress, had tweeted with it's offer... and had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!:goodpost:

James Burke

I've been mulling over the purchase since early March and finally went ahead with it. I found a new paperback copy (white cover) on Ebay for just under $28.00 including postage.

I had considered the more expensive lay-flat spiral bound edition (black cover), but Amazon was sold out. It was published just within the last year so there are no used copies as of yet.

As a side note to my first post, I've recently discovered that many business authorities place a greater emphasis on establishing a solid business model first, before the business plan is written. Business plans that are built on faulty business models (and ignorance) are doomed...no matter how well the plans are written.

Jim

Last edited:

Jon Aston

I can't believe I substituted "offer" for "author" above.:covereyes: All I can say is that it was late, had been a long day, and there may have been gin involved.

James Burke

Well, it arrived today and if you thought the preview was cool....wait until you see the entire book.

In a nutshell, it's a book that utilizes the art of "visual thinking" to work through abstract business concepts with lots of pictures. All I can say is wow! If you don't have a better understanding of your business after reading this, then shame on you...you didn't pay attention.

Jim

James Burke

Ordered 3 copies, and I can't wait to get it. This is a most timely post...

Three copies? Let's see...one copy for the desk, one for the night stand, and another for the strategic planning / engineering department (restroom).

JB

Letterbox Mike

Exactly!

Actually, one for me, one for my wife/biz partner, one for our salesperson. We're going through a rebranding/"realignment" phase so this will be extremely helpful.

James Burke

Actually, one for me, one for my wife/biz partner, one for our salesperson. We're going through a rebranding/"realignment" phase so this will be extremely helpful.

A good portion of the book is devoted to idea generation via team input through a variety of interesting methods. Let us know how it worked for you.

As for me, I'm just a "one man show" still trying to connect the dots of a business that has been five years in the making, yet lacking the refinement and structure of a formalized business plan.

With that said, I think there will still be areas where I will tend to stray away from the "formalaties". That's just the nature of the "right brain" crowd. On the other hand, that creativity still needs direction in order to be profitable.

Jim

James Burke

The books just came in! Woo hoo, this is an awesome little book. I can't wait to start tearing into it.!

Pace yourself...you can "overload" very quickly. There's lots of good stuff, but it's going to take time to assimilate it all and begin making changes.

JB

Letterbox Mike

Tell me about it, I've been flipping through it all day and it's really overwhelming. The good thing is it's written so it's easy to follow and understand. But it's not a book you can casually approach, you have to go at it with the intent of doing the work as the book spells it out. Cool though!

James Burke

But it's not a book you can casually approach, you have to go at it with the intent of doing the work as the book spells it out.

Yep...just roll up your sleeves and follow the pictures!

JB