• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying My First Bucke Ttruck

equippaint

Bannertime, I get what you meant now. Its hard to get away from the emissions trucks unless youre looking at something pretty old. Started around 03 so the newest non emission truck is 14 yrs old. The 6.0 got a bad rap from people that beat on them, chipped them and also bad mechanics that would misdiagnose a bad egr cooler as a head gasket. They had other issues too but it was no worse than a 7.3. They both (plus cat HEUI on 3126) had a problematic injection system that used high pressure oil to fire the injectors but if you have someone that really knows what theyre doing its no big deal. Hard part is finding that guy.
We have a lot of cummins 5.9 isb engines 05-12 and we have issues with them too; lift pumps and subsequent HP injection pump failures at $1500+ a pop in addition to many other annoying expensive issues. I can replace a gas engine for what a set of injectors cost. Im just not sold on any diesels that have ever been in a smaller truck except maybe a 12v cummins but the truck theyre in (old dodge) was crap. Bigger diesels like a series 60 detroit, cat 3406 etc are different but people think these small truck throw away motors are on par with them because they have a diesel emblem on the door. I drive a diesel too but its because I like it and nothing more, not out of practicality.
Anyhow, the tow behind booms are a way smarter idea if youre not using it everyday. No insurance, less mechanical stuff to worry about and they have a better platform to work from. Thatd be the way Id go if it was something needed every now and then. Put rec 90 gas in it so it doesnt go stale while sitting and youll be good to go.

signage

How many on here get the boom inspected?
You know if OSHA stops you and the boom isn't inspected the fines are not cheap!

Billct2

I've worked in bucket trucks and with cranes, but we got rid of our last one many years ago when we decided to get out of the service business. Now we rent a towable, a scissor type lift or sub it out. Bucket trucks can be great, but do require a serious approach to maintenance and unless you can do your own it can get pricey. I would also look at the cost of the insurance, both vehicle and business insurance. And if you have an employee who will run it any requirements for training.
And then there's the big question, from your initial post it didn't sound like you have a lot of experience in sign service. There's a LOT to know. Are there any licensing requirements to service signs? Anyone touching anything electric is entering a whole new area of the business. Then there's all the electronics out there now, another bunch of stuff to learn.
So I would take the previous suggestion of trying it out before you commit to a vehicle.

nolanola

I've worked in bucket trucks and with cranes, but we got rid of our last one many years ago when we decided to get out of the service business. Now we rent a towable, a scissor type lift or sub it out. Bucket trucks can be great, but do require a serious approach to maintenance and unless you can do your own it can get pricey. I would also look at the cost of the insurance, both vehicle and business insurance. And if you have an employee who will run it any requirements for training.
And then there's the big question, from your initial post it didn't sound like you have a lot of experience in sign service. There's a LOT to know. Are there any licensing requirements to service signs? Anyone touching anything electric is entering a whole new area of the business. Then there's all the electronics out there now, another bunch of stuff to learn.
So I would take the previous suggestion of trying it out before you commit to a vehicle.

I do not have a lot of experience in sign service.
I am going to get the electricians license.
Learning is part of the game.
I do have some experience working on cars, that's why I like the flatbed truck option with a small engine (5.7 gmc).
Owning a bucket truck has a lot of business potential. I know how to market services.

I do not like depending on installers. Sometimes they don't answer the phone. Or show up late. My business can not afford that.
Installation is an important part of the sign business. Sales is difficult, production is mostly fun and everything can get messed up by an installer.

I will try it first.

Thank you.

Last edited:

equippaint

if youre licensed and market it right Im sure you could keep it busy. That may require you selling your services to competitors and electricians. At least thatd be my approach rather than strictly going for end users.

nolanola

I got it from I80 equipment on the Illinois/Iowa border. The lift is an electric over hydraulic system.
How should I look for that type of the truck? Flatbed bucket truck?
Did you consider buying the lift and a flatbed truck separately? Would that be more expensive?

Stormyj

Just another guy
Rent. Or, think about a towable boomlift. No insurance, no engine maint, fairly cheap. If you dont need to use as a crane, works great for general maint, sign face installs.
img-towable-boom-lift.jpg

hcardwell93

How should I look for that type of the truck? Flatbed bucket truck?
Did you consider buying the lift and a flatbed truck separately? Would that be more expensive?
I found I80 through google, called and talked to a sales guy and explained what I was after and did/did not want. They called me when this one popped up. We already have a pickup truck so I did consider the towable lifts. For what you can buy the lift for you can buy a bucket truck. I decided that renting the lift every time I wanted to go up did not work for my situation. I would rather have it so that if I get a call to go do something with it I can hop in and go.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's kinda the same reasoning behind doing your own sign work in-house. You have much more control of things, especially quality control.
We rent a 19' scissors lift about 5 times a year for one customer. Sometimes the condition they come in at is horrible. One time, the thing wasn't even charged. It took them about 3 hours to get another one there. We've gotten them, the things were so dirty and full of plaster, screws and other crap, we hadda clean it before we started using it. We hafta put on booties and diapers so we don't mess the store up.
I wholeheartedly agree with having one at your finger tips. Between insurance and maintenance, it's a great peace of mind having it...... right there in the bay.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, a guy called me yesterday and asked if I could have this up Friday and I said with the rain, no, but I'll do it Thursday morning. Travel time was about 15 minutes both ways, I had all the hardware on the truck, til I went inside, got the banner and measured it off.... I had it up in just under an hour. 15 minutes back and the invoice was for $800.00 +tx 3' x 20' banner about 21' to the top. No permit required. It fell under the plaza's blanket permit.

No rentals, no pick up or delivery and got it done in less than 24 hours after he called.

Gonna do some higher ones for the same company Monday. Those we're renting a 60' boom lift. However, planning was needed for that and they gave us two extra days.

banner above doors.jpg

nolanola

Well, a guy called me yesterday and asked if I could have this up Friday and I said with the rain, no, but I'll do it Thursday morning. Travel time was about 15 minutes both ways, I had all the hardware on the truck, til I went inside, got the banner and measured it off.... I had it up in just under an hour. 15 minutes back and the invoice was for $800.00 +tx 3' x 20' banner about 21' to the top. No permit required. It fell under the plaza's blanket permit.

No rentals, no pick up or delivery and got it done in less than 24 hours after he called.

Gonna do some higher ones for the same company Monday. Those we're renting a 60' boom lift. However, planning was needed for that and they gave us two extra days.

View attachment 128490

Looks convincing.

visual800

View attachment 128490

you got $800 to put up a stock banner? so you charge how much per hour for use of your bucket?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
you got $800 to put up a stock banner? so you charge how much per hour for use of your bucket?

Yep, they supplied the banner and we charge out at $185 an hour with 1/2 day minimum for this one. There was hardware included in that, also. We're going back Monday for around $7,000 I believe. I forget the exact quote at the moment, but it'll be worth it.

Why do you ask ?? Don't you think that's enough ?? Or when is too much...... too much ?? They're closing, so it's not like I'll ever get anymore work from them. They were a customer of ours, since 1983. Believe it or not, we opened that store and now we're closing it. TV crews were there filming, I might be on television. ))) Think of that publicity. Handed out quite a few business cards while I was there, too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Retirement.......?? Whose retiring ?? No need to retire, if ya can still make good money. At my age, making that kinda money for 2 hours..... I'm happy. I'll retire when I have to.

Johnny Best

Who's the old fart in the bucket truck! O, that's Gino who still thinks he is working, the nursing home lets him up there once a month, keeps him happy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, you should spend some of that "$800" to get a sign shop to reletter that van.

Really ?? Should I ?? Why ??

Had it almost 5 years and it's made 10's of thousands of dollars for us. Our other van isn't lettered at all. Those are magnetics and I usually don't have them on, but I was told the local news would be filming, so I put them on real quick. Glad I did.

So, we're basically a sign shop and we make signs and that's where the great majority of our money is made...... making signs. The bucket was just an excuse for me to have fun and extend doing other things we generally did from ladders or some other way. It's made things wa-a-ay easier for me, but believe me, it's not our money making item. However, if I'm gonna go out in it, I'm gonna be paid well for my services.

How should I spruce up the truck may I ask ??​