• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying scrap from competing shops. Is this ok?

Chriswagner92

Good Morning all,

I just had a quick question i wanted to get peoples opinion on. My GF's dad just got his harley repainted and wanted to get some small decals. Problem is, we don't carry a full line of 1080 or sw900, or even at all really. Basically I'm trying to get the vinyl he wants wiithout ordering a roll of it. How would you feel if a competing shop came to you for vinyl?

gabagoo

I have friends in the biz who call me for vinyl or something sign related all the time..... I don't mind helping them out or I sell them vinyl by the yard. They help me out at times too, so win /win

QuickSilver2605

We have good relations with a few of the smaller shops in the area. Not long ago a guy that only cuts vinyl came in to see if he could buy a certain color off of us. I didn't have a problem with it. I guess it just depends on how good of a relationship you have with the other shops in your area.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
how would you feel if your competitor, who you never met, came to you and asked for 2 yards of vinyl?

i'd nicely tell them to chit in their hat and good bye....

ExecuPrintGS

I guess it depends on your area and the kind of business people you all are in your area. Around here we all know each other and all have a common goal, make a good product and make money.
We often do work for our "competitors" that they cant do or sell vinyl back and forth. We have also gotten calls from our competition when a current customer walks in with a proof from us, or saying they arent happy (usually because they havent paid their bills and we are now going after them for money). I guess it just depends how you are. If it were me, i would take this as an opportunity to meet the owner of the other shop.

just my $0.02

Chriswagner92

how would you feel if your competitor, who you never met, came to you and asked for 2 yards of vinyl?

i'd nicely tell them to chit in their hat and good bye....

see that's where i'm torn. If it was someone coming to be I'd let them buy the whole inventory if they wanted ( marked way up of course) but thats just me. I guess I will just have to give them a call and see what they do.

StarSign

Why not use it as an opportunity to meet the "other guy" and try to establish a relationship. I'm not saying he should or will give you a break on the price but, it's always good to know your competitors.

Pat Whatley

I have several local shops I wouldn't hesitate to call if I needed some. I always pay for it and they do the same with me.

If I didn't know them I'd call them anyway. If they're cool, they'll sell it to me even if the price is full retail, if they're buttheads then I'd call them just to tick them off. It's a win-win for me!

visual800

I have several local shops I wouldn't hesitate to call if I needed some. I always pay for it and they do the same with me.

If I didn't know them I'd call them anyway. If they're cool, they'll sell it to me even if the price is full retail, if they're buttheads then I'd call them just to tick them off. It's a win-win for me!

speakin of, you still owe me $1400 for that roll of imitation engine turned.

We pretty much share and swap out around here. We are all pretty tite with some exceptions of course. i do alot of installs for other compnaies so its bets IMO

gabagoo

I get that, but what if your shop is not friends or does any business at all with the other shop, get what I'm saying?

If this were the case then anything he wanted I would sell at a retail price....or direct him to a distributor 5 minutes from my shop

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Out of the 294 entries in the Signs 101 Network Registry, 125 members indicated an interest in supply sharing ... which works out to 42.52% favor the idea while 57.48% probably do not.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a very small amount of vinyl you'd need. I think it was already mentioned, but I would personally stop in, introduce myself and explain my predicament. Probably have a laugh over it and shouldn't be a problem and who knows, you might've just made a good friend. At the size it sounds like, I'd probably just give it to you for nothing, no questions asked..... or just a minimum of $5. to keep it honest.

Chriswagner92

Sounds like a very small amount of vinyl you'd need. I think it was already mentioned, but I would personally stop in, introduce myself and explain my predicament. Probably have a laugh over it and shouldn't be a problem and who knows, you might've just made a good friend. At the size it sounds like, I'd probably just give it to you for nothing, no questions asked..... or just a minimum of $5. to keep it honest.

Since the shop is on my way home and i get out early i may just stop in. We will see how it goes I guess. I know when I went and applied for a job there when I first moved the lady at the front was kind of rude.

SignProPlus-Chip

It depends on the other shop and the people.

There are other local shops we are friendly with and we help each other out in a pinch. Laminating, lending vinyl, even installing wraps or wholesaling CNC cut items. They help us out too from time to time.

However there are some shops I wouldn't even give the time of day to because of their ethics and attitude.

JgS

It can't hurt to ask. All the shops around here make sure to help each other out and keep a good working relationship. We are all better off for it. If someone's equipment goes down or a shop needs an extra hand we can count on each other. Point is don't be afraid to introduce yourself. You may need them again in the future or they may need you.

CanuckSigns

there are 3 other shops in our town, 2 of them are great and I have no problem lending materials or calling up to borrow something from, we send work to each other etc. The other shop I wouldn't give the time of day to do to his cockyness and undercutting.