• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can this polycarb face be saved?

Idiot customer decided to save the $100 I quoted him to strip regular calendared vinyl off a 3x12 pan polycarb face. I told him how to do it, but instead, he just poured gasoline on it (with the vinyl still on), let it soak for who knows how long, then scraped it off.

The face is now discolored and rough.

What, if anything, can be done to try and salvage it?

d fleming

Even if you could the time involved would by a new face. Customer gets lesson today about being such a cheapskate and not letting a professional do his job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The gasoline soaking on it has probably melted the makeup of the substrate and is now no good. Tell him he ruined it and to be safe he needs to get a new one.

gnemmas

I think it is just fine. Slap some calendar vinyl on it, specify that no warranty on the job, be done with it.

d fleming

I think it is just fine.

No it's not. Gino is right.

Slap some calendar vinyl on it, specify that no warranty on the job, be done with it.

Until it breaks or hurts someone as well and the very cheap customer throws the blame to you because you were thae last one to work on it and you're the professional that should have known better. He may lose in court (or not) but you will spend money and time to be there just the same.

Refuse the job unless he buys a new face.

The sign originally belonged to a restaurant owner who went bankrupt. My client, who took over and has been in business at the location for more than a year, complained when he had to pay $200 for it. So he sure as hell isn't going to lay out any money for a new face.

I'll clean off the crust he left as much as possible and slap on some vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The sign originally belonged to a restaurant owner who went bankrupt. My client, who took over and has been in business at the location for more than a year, complained when he had to pay $200 for it. So he sure as hell isn't going to lay out any money for a new face.

I'll clean off the crust he left as much as possible and slap on some vinyl.

I hope you're kidding about this decision.
:omg:

If you do what you stated there, then you are an irresponsible lying cheat.
There's no way you can put that crap up because YOUR customer is cheap. You are the professional and should know right from wrong.... and even if you don't know right from wrong... you've been told here countless times.

Besides a lousy looking job, you're chancing a possible accident and you're doing it knowingly so. :covereyes:

The face looks bad. It will look like total crap when it is lighted. But the damage is cosmetic only. The damage is to the surface only; it is nowhere near deep enough to cause the face to fail. Even if the face did fail, it is on a wall and there is no way anyone could be injured.

So I'm gonna call the customer and tell him he's ruined the looks of his face. He's gonna tell me he doesn't want to buy a new one. I'll tell him I can letter this one or he can do without.

How exactly does that make me either a liar or a cheat?

Craig Sjoquist

That's a new one lol gas lol pour on plastic ohhhh yea that will work should realy loosen up vinyl lol won't even harm that tough plastic face lol was he high lol

Flame

The face looks bad. It will look like total crap when it is lighted. But the damage is cosmetic only. The damage is to the surface only; it is nowhere near deep enough to cause the face to fail. Even if the face did fail, it is on a wall and there is no way anyone could be injured.

So I'm gonna call the customer and tell him he's ruined the looks of his face. He's gonna tell me he doesn't want to buy a new one. I'll tell him I can letter this one or he can do without.

Learn to say NO. I do it everyday.

* No I won't do a 18x24 for $5

* No I won't put graphics directly over your old vinyl job

* No I won't sand down, repaint and reletter your A-board

* No I won't paint a mural on your wall with a rattle can and giant stencils

* No I will not lower my price

* No I will not mount your sign on your roof with OR without a permit

Just because the customer asks for something doesn't mean you give it to them. He made that sign look horrible, you are in the business of asthetics, you make things look good... do you really want to crank out something that looks bad? That's not even taking into consideration the fact that PLASTIC was SOAKED in a solvent. Which attacks the very chemical makeup of the material and could cause it to break wayyyyyyyyy prematurely.

gnemmas

Are some of you saying that gasoline or mineral spirit will weaken the structure of polycarb?

I look at this as customer service. He has a limited budget, we work with them. But if there is a safety concern, I like to learn.

Techman

gag me...
It's no wonder we get crap when we try to get a higher price for our work.

It is this type of attitude that makes our lives miserable. Clients think why should he pay a top price when he will likely get junk second rate work..

Techman

Are some of you saying that gasoline or mineral spirit will weaken the structure of polycarb?

yes,, Its a fact..

I look at this as customer service. He has a limited budget, we work with them.
Yes, if its down with good conscience.

This reuse of a ruined face is not customer service. This is dis-service..

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

The damage is not just cosmetic. I know from experience that GE, for instance, will not warranty a broken Lexan face if you use the wrong thinners in your paint (many years ago). Also, if you happen to score the surface with an X-Acto blade, would be grounds for refusal of warranty.

I'm told that even just cleaning with lacquer thinner will weaken the face. Anything that removes the gloss from the surface affects the strength of the plastic.

I would not touch that face any longer.