• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you believe.............??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would think if I was the Sign Company that "Takes care of the building" I would have a file about everything I have sold or took care of. Meaning all lamp sizes, lamp quantity and ballast Part Numbers etc. And verifying the printed information on the lamp would have been the best practice to follow.

On the other hand it seems like it was laziness of the shop to go and do a job, Going with excuse's that it would be cheaper if they did it themselves and look what happened. So in the end it is completely your fault the wrong lamps were ordered. If you would have done your job in the first place this post would never have happened. We call it Root Cause Analysis.

It's become quite obvious, many of you just wanna disagree. That's all fine and dandy. Some don't like my analogies while some don't like my policies to the best one, I shouldn't waste the forum's bandwidth with posting such a thread. It's alright to ask about a font, ask where a fuse is or even ask how to fix a printer or get cheap materials, but it's wrong to post a discussion about what would you do and when told I was wrong, I give my reasons, which nobody else has displayed.

Hindsight is wonderful and you can learn from mistakes. Hopefully some of you will read the OP with the intent whcih it was intended along with all the particulars given. If you come up with the same deductions, fine. If you find yourself swaying. Fine again. If you don't care, move onto a font finding thread or fixing someone's printer, if that's more your speed.

:thankyou:

CreatedDesigns

you obviously missed the part where Gino didn't make or sell this sign...
can't find the right "root", if you don't follow backwards from the "outcome" more carefully :rolleyes:

I don't care who made the sign. What he did say is he takes care of the signs.
if you would have read my entire sentence instead of cutting if off at sold you would understand.

CreatedDesigns

And Gino I have nothing against you or anyone here. I just gave my opinion of what I would have thought as an owner of a sign shop and my employees did this very thing. I would not of been happy with this situation one bit. Maybe I'm a stickler but I want my sign company to be professional. And if my guys said go measure it yourself when the customer came to me for help. I would be furious.
Now after this situation is over how does the customer now see you? Will they look else where now? But you as an owner have a chance to make it right. In the end the customer has been scarred.

Marlene

And Gino I have nothing against you or anyone here. I just gave my opinion of what I would have thought as an owner of a sign shop and my employees did this very thing. I would not of been happy with this situation one bit. Maybe I'm a stickler but I want my sign company to be professional. And if my guys said go measure it yourself when the customer came to me for help. I would be furious.
Now after this situation is over how does the customer now see you? Will they look else where now? But you as an owner have a chance to make it right. In the end the customer has been scarred.

he gave the guy the option to pay for a survey since the sign was made by others or provide the size needed. it was also clear that the guy was going to service the sign himself. he didn't say go measure it yourself, the guy opted to do it rather than pay for a survey and for service and was just buying the bulbs. the burden of getting the size right wasn't on Gino. the guy shoiuld have pulled a bulb and wrote down the info on it before placing an order as that is what would have happened if he had paid for a professional survey

Billct2

If I had a regular customer that made the same mistake I would charge a restocking fee and move on.
All this guy is going to remember is that he was made to pay for his mistake, right or wrong, and that may be all it takes to lose a customer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't care who made the sign. What he did say is he takes care of the signs.
if you would have read my entire sentence instead of cutting if off at sold you would understand.

Usually it's me that drags things out, but you seem to be the one doing it this time. :Big Laugh

You don't care who made the sign. That's fine. How and when do you obtain that information of which you don't possess ?? No one asked me to know it beforehand, in fact, the customer told me he knew and gave me wrong information. He was given the option to save himself our fee to read a lamp in his building. Does that sound hard for any adult ?? In taking care of this building since 1998 for 4 different management companies, not once, did we ever hafta look inside the cabinet. Replacing faces was performed from the side and the setup made it hard to see inside, unless you'd take the back off. The old saying, 'ya don't fix it if it ain't broke'. This company in question.... we've been doing work for on various buildings and projects since 1992. They are not going anywhere. In fact, they ordered some other things Monday afternoon and are picking them up later today, besides the 3 new lamps. No one cut you off, you said I didn't do my job. If that's what you think, fine. It's wrong, but you are entitled to your opinion.

As for the next part, I've often said, I'm not here to be popular. This place is no popularity contest. In fact, quite the opposite. The sad state of ruin of this once great industry is displayed everyday on the streets of my home town where there is a plethora of sign shops, which 90% of are terrible..... to the kinda reasoning powers in this place and others like it. No one cares to reach the truth, but to say something in a manner that makes them feel superior. Our sign company is professional and bowing down to someone else's blatant lie is not professional in my opinion. You think making mistakes by others is alright and you correct them for free. That's dumb. To me, you pay for mistakes when they are your own. That's good business relations and a very good business policy. In your case, where do you draw the line ?? This time it's 3 lamps, no big deal, but next time, what if like I said it's a dozen lamps or someone gave you the wrong file ?? Have you never had someone send you the wrong files to be printed on a banner, you print it and then they say, that's not it. You sent them a proof and they overlooked a mistake..... on their own file. When it's finally finished, the yucks is picked up.

You're not being a stickler, but you are allowing your customers to partially run your business...... and you haven't explained how far you'll bend til you say no. I don't need to make anything right, I already did do that, by correcting his mistake. He's fine with it. I said, if I need them, I'll buy them back, but not until then. He laughed, because as much as y'all are making fun of me over $9. he is laughing at himself over $33.00. We did laugh about it and then he ordered some other parking signs and a banner. I asked him if he had any needs for a 5' box coming up. I knew where he could get some lamps real cheap. :smile:

edit: just posted this but remembered I wanted to add this.
Most of you are treating this like a deal of this level is gonna make or break a relationship. Hardly folks. People do not leave after doing something stoopid or wrong, not when on the whole we save this customer thousands of advertising dollars yearly. From where they were 20 some years ago, they know for a fact, we've saved them money in the long run. In fact, they left a few years ago when they got a better deal on something. Turned out the other shop lied to them about details and the project ending up costing more than my original quote. They tried a few others and returned after maybe 6 months and have been rock solid since.​

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Costco had made this difficult. They literally take anything and everything back. Very interesting to see the return line here in s. California, in a 18 million people los angeles county. Customers think that they can return their unwanted items just like how they did to costco. Sorry, if it was a special ordered item, it is yours now.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The guy just left. He showed me the picture of the lamp and it clearly said 64HOT12 cools. He started laughing and said, I shoulda did what you told me and read the damned thing. I learned a very valuable lesson..... [even though I had already told him of this possibility]. Would've saved me an extra trip out here. He was more p!ssed about the wasted time then $48. He also said, his maintenance guy got a stern talking. Evidently, that's who messed up. I told him the other signs would be done by tomorrow and he said, when I get back from training, I need to order some of those 'for sale' signs for the buildings on 9th street. That's 2-sided 4' x 4's and he thinks he needs 16. He'll count them and get back to me in the next week or so on that order.

As expected, there was no harm/no foul. So, thanks for all your help......:rock-n-roll: