• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't move object to another layer

GoodPeopleFlags

I think something has gotten changed in some preferences somewhere. Suppose I have everything on Layer 1 then I want to put part of it (the cutline) on Layer 2. I've always just cut the object, create a new layer and paste... up until yesterday. Now when I paste, the layers palette switches back to Layer 1 and pastes the object there. I can create something new on a new Layer but I would like to be able to do it the way I've always done it.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I'm working with Illustrator CS3.

dbenec

i was able to duplicate your problem by going to the pull down window from inside the layers tab and selecting 'paste remembers layers'.

after going in and de-selecting that option paste went back to normal.

this was AiCS1 - but should be similar in all.

good luck

GypsyGraphics

I never move objects between layers by cutting & pasting!

In the same way you use the layer palette to change the order of your layers, you can move objects between layers. With the object selected, simply drag the colored box (layer indicator, on the right side of each layer in the palette) to any other layer. Option drag, if you want to duplicate the object to another layer. The object will be in the exact same position on the other layer.

GoodPeopleFlags

That's cool! I didn't know that. But ya can't do that if you only want to move part of a layer, right?

Nevermind! I read back over Gypsy's response and saw that I misread before. Thanks for the tip!

artbot

or just control "j" to duplicate a layer, or a selected portion to a fresh layer. always lines up to the pixel.