• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't We Just Shoot'em?

WildWestDesigns

18 yr old is dating some type of faux goth guy. Dresses like a goth, but talks like a preppie. Fake mohawk, but does have the chains. Looks like a ghoul. I just can't reconcile that with the preppie speech pattern though. Just grates on me for some reason.

Why couldn't she have waited until after I was gone to go out with the weirdos?

Locals Find!

They are just kids. That Goth look will pass. Just like the Miami Vice look of the 80's of the Grunge look of the 90's.

Its all about rebellion to piss off your parents. Be happy he has the preppie mind going for him. You can have hope that if this lasts he might have a job other than at a starbucks or a head shop some day.

WildWestDesigns

Bill Gates looked like a weirdo and he turned out okay. Can never judge a book by it's cover.

No, but in a world were first impressions mean whether or not people want to spend time to see if you are worth doing business with or not, this just doesn't bode well. But they are kids, have to try to keep that in mind.

Adtechia LLC said:
They are just kids. That Goth look will pass. Just like the Miami Vice look of the 80's of the Grunge look of the 90's.

I miss those days. I grew up during the transitional yrs of those. The good ole days.

Adtechia LLC said:
You can have hope that if this lasts he might have a job other than at a starbucks or a head shop some day.

He does sales for vet supply company within mid. TN. It's a decent job, he does have that going for him. I guess I just have a very high bar. I'm more and more like my grandfather, he never thought my dad would amount to anything and he did very well for himself and his family. Natural pains of fatherhood I reckon.

He may not be like how I was during those years, but I always worry.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
My kid looks like a douchebag... because he is a douchebag... don't let your girls date my son....

Last edited:

CES020

Tell her how cool you think his hair cut and style are. Ask her where he gets his clothes because you want to pick up a few things for yourself.

She'll have him spit shined and polished before the sun goes down :)

WildWestDesigns

Tell her how cool you think his hair cut and style are. Ask her where he gets his clothes because you want to pick up a few things for yourself.

She'll have him spit shined and polished before the sun goes down :)

That's an idea. I'll have to do that.

I guess she could always pick something that's worse. Lord knows my sister was never good at picking them.

Bigdawg

Just Me
He does sales for vet supply company within mid. TN. It's a decent job, he does have that going for him. I guess I just have a very high bar. I'm more and more like my grandfather, he never thought my dad would amount to anything and he did very well for himself and his family. Natural pains of fatherhood I reckon.

Hmmmm... I have some good friends that are vets over in Gordonsville... would be his territory...

Don't let the looks scare you... I remember my grandma refusing to let my first husband in the door because "He must have no self-respect to have hair that long"

It barely touched his collar :smile:

And if you REALLY think about it.... as I always told my (horn-dog) best friend - one day his daughters would grow up and date someone just like him..... :ROFLMAO:

Flame

Its all about rebellion to piss off your parents.

Surrrrrrrre. Fashion is all about rebellion. uh huh.

Anyways, what's the dude like though? Total weirdo or what? Could be he's open minded and likes to dabble in style, or could be he's a total freak. Who knows. Get to know the dude a little. I have some buddies that are kind of strange looking but are good people. One of my best friends is tatted from head to toe, piercings all over, but one of the nicest people you'll meet, a goody two shoes and just tries for the bad ass look not knowing his personality will never fit it.

Gotta say though, a goth with a prep attitude is a new one to me!!! Your daughter can date me though :) I'm normal-ish

SignosaurusRex

As the father of a strong spirited, fiercely independent and incredibly drop-dead gorgeous daughter all I can say is...Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them. Don't sweat it for now, not a thing you can do right now anyways. Worry? Damn straight....that's okay, that's what Dads do.....just not too much or it can kill you. Just keep your eyes wide open all the time and be there for her. Do not voice to her your opinion of him unless she asks, and even then, only very carefully. Doing so only makes things worse, besides, she already knows without you saying it. All of the Grey hair I have (99% of what I have left) I'm sure is from her. I wanted to take all of her previous shit-for-brains, douchbag, knuckle-headed, arrogant-bastard, goth worshipping boyfriends on hunting trips. Her current boyfriend is also now her fiance and I have to say that I absolutely think the world of him. I'd take him hunting too......just for different reasons. Your daughter....her choices for boy friends right now may not be as you wish but they may very well change if you are there for her now and keep her close (Not saying that you haven't or aren't now). Daughters always want the approval of their fathers in the end, but, they will test the living shit out of his patience first. :frustrated:

Mosh

That what my X's dad used to say about me. Now, after he relized what I am worth he is wishing she had stayed with me instead of just getting the $2K a month in child support! Me and Ray are close friends now, wish I could say the same for his daughter! BTW Nicole is 15 so only three more years of the gravy-train!!!!!!

kstompaint

Ugh... As the father of 3 young daughters I am NOT looking forward to dealing with this. However, I am well stocked on ammunition and I have friends with excavation equipment.

WildWestDesigns

Ugh... As the father of 3 young daughters I am NOT looking forward to dealing with this. However, I am well stocked on ammunition and I have friends with excavation equipment.

I'm more of a knife person myself. I do have a nice JD skidsteer that will come in handy if need to.

At least she did get back awhile ago. I'm sure I'll be a nervous wreck next semester when she goes off to Belmont. I think I'm getting some twisted form of come up'ins for how I was when I was a kid. My parents always said wait til I have kids and see how things turn out. Dammit, I hate it when they are right.

CheapVehicleWrap

Sir, I'm sorry you are living one of my worst feared nightmares. A situation I too have nearly encountered countless times. Fortunately I managed to pulled out every-time.

Jillbeans

Faux Goth isn't that bad, he will outgrow it.
If he talks like a preppie he may have manners.
Does he open the car door for her, etc?
I think that may be a better way of judging his character.
I'd rather have a polite guy even with piercings and eyeliner dating my daughter than some brutish lout who thinks farting is an art form, who chews with his mouth open and doesn't bathe.
Or some spoiled rich boy.
Love.....Jill

btropical.com

Want them to change , join them ! get the same clothes haircut and paint your fingernails black and attend the next lamb of God concert