• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

car wrap print layout

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Maybe if people would stop trying to be "Super-Troll" and actually offer some helpful info, this site would be enjoyable.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Yes, please, everyone give away the knowledge they've worked very hard to learn, so some schmuck can try to take your clients.

Good plan.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe if people would stop trying to be "Super-Troll" and actually offer some helpful info, this site would be enjoyable.

This entire thread was totally enjoyable from someone looking for answers to getting them answered and then about 7 or 8 train wrecks along the way. Bring it on, this is the kinda stuff we need. It sure beats..... where is the fuse or does this stuff hurt me ?? :popcorn:

Great examples guys and gals....... and Pate is just simply amazing, huh ??​

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

It wasn't supposed to be trolling when it began. It was supposed to be humorous to those of us who ACTUALLY Wrap for a living and understood the insanity of the layout and all the sarcasm in the instructions. They were the OPPOSITE of what a good layout is.
However, since so many did not recognize it for what it was I played along with the gullibility and it became (to you) trolling.

I'm rather dismayed that I actually have to explain this. Be that as it may, I and others who know better...thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Good day sir.

Baz

Just want to say thanks for this thread.

Just learned about the Wrap Institute and watched 45 minutes of videos while having supper :thumb:

I would consider myself at an intermediate level and loved watching their videos. Already knew allot of what i saw but
as usual picked up on some new tricks :toasting:

Their site was obviously bookmarked!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Just want to say thanks for this thread.

Just learned about the Wrap Institute and watched 45 minutes of videos while having supper :thumb:

I would consider myself at an intermediate level and loved watching their videos. Already knew allot of what i saw but
as usual picked up on some new tricks :toasting:

Their site was obviously bookmarked!

Been under a rock for the last 2 years?

coastguy111

might be advantages for whomever you work for to look at purchasing one of those larger part like tents where the sides can be closed!

The best way is to have a single panel run the length of the entire vehicle. If you have 2+ people installing it, you align the panel once, remove the entire backing paper and install. Takes more caution on the setup side, but install goes faster. This does require an interior bay, which I've rarely had access too.

Video example here

[video=youtube;2SEETo7_K6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SEETo7_K6c&list=PLjE1p8KoXEbGdgQyo2Wm MXNnhcqm9Q5ba&index=9[/video]

Most of our wraps have been outside, so we broke it down into sections: front fender, cab/doors, back fender/bed, hood, trunk/tailgate, roof. This allows you to only worry about one section at a time, which makes it easier to install under the conditions I've had when wrapping. The trouble is that you have to align each panel as you go, so if you get off a little on the first, it gets worse and worse.

Btw, I don't recommend doing a full wrap outside. It's worth the money to rent a bay somewhere for the install, if you can find one. But I wasn't the one making the calls, so we did them outside our shop.

T_K

might be advantages for whomever you work for to look at purchasing one of those larger part like tents where the sides can be closed!

I'm at a different shop now. But my old boss had talked about getting one of the tents like that, but we didn't have a place to store it. The shop was in a converted office space, which was good for a starting spot, but we had already outgrown it in 1-2 years. And we couldn't leave anything outside, or it would disappear.

JoeBoomer

This is a crazy way to setup a truck wrap. I used to setup wraps like this when I first started, but this is nuts. It's really easy for the designer & person RIPping the files, but the finished product has tons of seams and you need to line up 12 panels per side when installing. That's just crazy talk.

Option 1.)

- Print the bed as one piece.
- Print the doors individually
- Print the front fender as one piece
- Print Hood as 1 piece
- Print roof as 1 (maybe 2 pieces)
- Print tailgate as 1 piece

Option 2.)

Print two horizontal pieces per side
1 piece the entire length of the vehicle just above where the window starts (overlap) to the bottom of the truck
1 piece for both doors above the window line
(this doesn't really work for dually trucks because of the huge fender flares)

Box trucks and larger vehicles should be setup like the illustration, but not cars or pickup trucks. The amount of work for the installer and the seams that will show up make this a recipe for disaster.

Printer size? Vehicle? Actually, doesn't matter. Vertical panels always. And Customer is always right. Especially about their color scheme. Make sure logos are always centered and as high up as possible for visibility. Put the phone and website where they tell you as well. And if they don't have a vector file of their logo, just use the jpg they scanned of their business card. The illustration below should explain it all. Good Luck.
attachment.php

Last edited:

JoeBoomer

Ok I'm an idiot. As soon as I saw that layout, I started typing a scathing response.

What a duesche I am.

Attachments

• UGLY_TOWN_Dumg.jpg
    UGLY_TOWN_Dumg.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 111

phototec

The best way is to have a single panel run the length of the entire vehicle. If you have 2+ people installing it, you align the panel once, remove the entire backing paper and install. Takes more caution on the setup side, but install goes faster. This does require an interior bay, which I've rarely had access too.

Video example here

[video=youtube;2SEETo7_K6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SEETo7_K6c&list=PLjE1p8KoXEbGdgQyo2Wm MXNnhcqm9Q5ba&index=9[/video]

Most of our wraps have been outside, so we broke it down into sections: front fender, cab/doors, back fender/bed, hood, trunk/tailgate, roof. This allows you to only worry about one section at a time, which makes it easier to install under the conditions I've had when wrapping. The trouble is that you have to align each panel as you go, so if you get off a little on the first, it gets worse and worse.

Btw, I don't recommend doing a full wrap outside. It's worth the money to rent a bay somewhere for the install, if you can find one. But I wasn't the one making the calls, so we did them outside our shop.

Yep , I like Justin Pate he is my Guru, attend his wrap training school in 2010..

joelswork

It didn't start as trolling. It was an attempt at humor and for those in the industry who know better...got that.
Those who didn't...got trolled.

My wife is into quilting.... You need more horizontal seams that are staggered for a good patchwork wrap! Just sayin. :Big Laugh

joelswork

I actually want to wrap one of the other installers cars in a patchwork style scrap wrap...just have to have a weekend where he leaves it at the shop!!!