• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chip & Dale.......................

Colin

I've thought about this some more and have fine-tuned my suggestion:

- Use a "no waste" seed.

- Use a "sqirrel-proof" feeder that doesn't allow any rodents to get at the seed, and one that catches any seed that drops.

- Feed the birds only when the ground is covered with snow, and/or during really cold snaps.

Do these things in consort and I suspect that your problem would be solved.

ForgeInc

I agree, it's pretty F'ed up this method. I mean, if you think you HAVE to do it that's one thing, but why suggest it as successful to everyone else on the web? Do your business and live with it, to each their own. It's weird to me you found it necessary to share this on a sign forum.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, this sure has taken a few twists and turns. Was trying to be helpful with some forewarning of a tried and true method for others that might be experiencing the same problem with much the same as me…. little results.

Seems everyone thinks they’re a humanitarian because of saving a few bugs or other pests. Believe it or not, I think everyone has that instinct in them….. to save something from hurting or suffering. I remember running over an animal already on a dark lonely road and after turning back…. had to purposely run over it again to make sure it was dead and out of its misery.

I wasn’t talking about the occasional mouse or bug that gets stuck in a window shade or by your pool. I wasn’t giving any thought to cats or mosquitoes that wander into your area and bite you or bring disease onto your property. No, I’m talking about chipmunks which are indeed a rodent by all definitions of the word… that have taken advantage of a situation. I don’t attach feelings to these little guys just because they look cute. How many of you ever had snakes and fed them feed mice ?? How many of you ever had chameleons and fed them feed crickets ?? How many of you have cats that play a mouse to death and you praise the cat for getting rid of the rodent regardless of what he’s doing on your property ?? Hypocrite, I don’t think so. However, how many here eat hamburgers from a fast food place.... or turkey at Thanksgiving ?? Ever see how those animals are treated so you can fill your tummy ?? There's a real crime and you're all a part of it, but don't see it, so I guess it's Okay.... and those are domestic animals, not rodents carrying disease. But I digress…. many here just want to argue for the sake of arguing. Then there are those that want to dictate what can be written or not on a sign forum. To that mentality alone…. Get Bent.

Anyway, this weekend, I talked to neighbors about it and many friends, because as I said in the very beginning, this is disgusting and it’s probably about the hardest thing I’ve ever done…. in this arena. Carol and I discussed it over and over, because it does bother me and we’ve tried just about everything imaginable up to this point over the years. We’ve had the pole saucers and under the feeder ground protectors, fire crackers, squirrel proof feeders and smelly deterrents and urine spread around to just picking them off with my pellet gun. Nothing works to the point of controlling them, let alone not ruining our property.

Every neighbor is experiencing the same thing and all but one…. me, don’t feed the birds. They all have their methods of getting rid of the little pests, from gassing them to throwing bombs in the burrows to shooting them. One guy has little pin wheels planted in the ground for carrying sound vibrations to scare them away. He still has quite a problem. Not one heard of the water in bucket method. Keep in mind that my closet neighbor is about 200’ away on one side and on the other about 300 yards away on the other side. We all live on 1 to 17 acre lots, so it’s not like what one person does affects the others. Therefore it’s safe to say…. the entire area is infested with these little pests and everyone is at their wits end.

So, after all of this and some heavy discussions here at home, I’ve decided to go back to shooting them and making ‘Pink Clouds’ of them. As much as many of you don’t see my view, I don’t see many of your views either. However, I can understand it if you put human feelings to these rodents; you might be a little queasy about doing it. I never said this was a good subject and maybe many of you just need a stronger constitution. Whatever the reason may be, this method does work and it’s the fastest way I know …. of getting rid of a terrible problem.

Suffice it to say, the water in bucket brigade ceased to exist as of 6:30pm last evening.