• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chip & Dale.......................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay…. here’s one that is a little disgusting.

On our property at home, we’ve been feeding the birds for 25 years. Over the years we’ve had all kinds of birds come and go. It’s so therapeutic to watch birds fly in and out of the trees getting food, drinking the water from the several bird baths around and watch them nest all over the property. All year long we feed these little guys.

Seems everyone loves our bird seed and are starting to take advantage of it. We’re going through bird seed like crazy this year. Like I said, we feed the birds and even though the other critters can’t read the sign I have posted ‘For Birds Only’, they’re still not verbally invited. We’ve used many types of deterrents over the years which work for a period of time, but eventually get old and the squirrels, chipmunks, ducks, opossums, fox, peacocks, raccoons, turkeys, stray cats, rabbits, turtles, hawks and some others…. they still are taking the majority of the seed. We have over 25 turkeys that come all day long and now the ground is covered in turkey chit to boot.

Well, I don’t want to kill the turkeys, so I have fire crackers [inchers] and that is doing a good job. They’re almost not around after a week of this noise. The squirrels, I’m shooting with a pellet rifle. The other critters do very little, but the frickin’ chipmunks….. they’re not only stealing a lot of food, but they’re burying it all over the frickin’ property and making holes and ruining plants and just plain doing a lot of damage. I’ve been shooting them and last Sunday I picked off 5 in an hour. There are still tons of them scurrying all around.

Yeah, they’re cute and funny to watch, but it’s like grandkids…. when they’re not your own, is when they’re cute. I can’t shoot ‘em fast enough, so here comes the disgusting part. My wife was talking with an old friend of hers who explained to her what the Chipmunk Queen does to get rid of them.

I suggest this to anyone having problems with chipmunks and it only works with chipmunks.

You drown them……. You ask how are they gonna drown if they’re on your property and the little buggers can swim like a champ ?? Well, you put a bucket of water filled about 4 inches from the top at areas where you know these guys travel and put a small wooden ramp from the ground to the rim of the bucket. Sprinkle a few black sunflower seeds on the ramp and then put about two handfuls of seed in the water. It floats for a day or so. These guys are so greedy, they gather the seeds up going up the ramp, look in the bucket and think they’ve located the Mother Load of seed and jump in the water. They swim around in there until they get tired and roll over and drown. You fish them out, get rid of them and re-set your trap with more seed on the ramp.

The first day we caught three. We started this past Saturday and everyday since, we’ve gotten two or three more. We’re up to 14 after five days.

One thing to be prepared for……… this might sound cruel, but we must try to keep our property safe for all animals and these guys are ruining it for all the others. However…. no matter how much they destroy, if you come walking around and see movement in the bucket…. don’t, I repeat, don’t look in or you’ll feel really bad for them. I did it and actually got a little sick in my stomach watching him swimming around…… and knowing what is in store for him. :covereyes:

Anyway, there are all kinds of tools, sprays and stuff to pour around the property and we’ve tried them all. This is the first one that works and keeps on working.

HulkSmash

did you make this up? Or did you read this somewhere. No chipmunks here.. just billions of Prairie dog.. the chipmunks brother on steroids.

Marlene

well, nice to see you feel kind of bad watching a little animal drown and die a nice slow death... it always amazing me when some one feeds birds and then tries to kill everything in sight that comes along besides the birds. around here there are groups of volunteers who help people get rid of critters in a HUMANE way. you might want to check in your area to see if there are any around before you drown any more little animals who have no idea that food you put out isn't for them. my mom used to feed the birds. she was registered with the National Wild Life Federation as a backyard habitat. she too got critters that weren't birds and never killed a thing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've tried everything to keep them away.... and I mean everything. All of the animals or birds we would like to deter seems to be working just fine. All except for the chipmunks. We're not registered anywhere except down at the courthouse as republicans, but we did call the Rangers Department and they said we can kill anything on our property we want, especailly if it is doing damage to our property or we have a problem.

We never minded when it was a handful of them, but there must be 100's of these guys and they are literally tearing up our property and ruining things. In fact, some of these animals are stealing from the very birds we are feeding.

I guess it's just being at the top of the food chain... I get a little more say in who stays and who doesn't. I hardly said I'm killing everything in sight. Everything else can stay. Last night, we had deer eating out of the feeders. We have raccoons climbing the poles and we enjoy the chipmunks, but they have become a nuisance and we need to do something about them. The exterminator says he has nothing for chipmunks other than poison, but that will affect other critters. We have snakes on the property and just about anything else you can imagine. We live in harmony, but for some reason, this year we are overrun by chipmunks.

Question for ya....... what do you do if a mouse comes in your house ?? Or a bat or a stink bug ?? How about a long line of ants ?? When you have a population explosion, you must either relocate it or drive them out. Neither way is working. It's not like we're talking about people living in the desert where you can't grow anything and they still stay. They found a good thing here and are taking advantage of it and ruining for all the others. They wanna multiply too fast, then I have to thin the herd.

SignosaurusRex

Quit with the feeding. Critters of all shapes, sizes & flavors need and seek the best of habitats (protective shelter, water, & food). Your place is a critters utopia. Eliminating the first two elements are not an option on your property, however the third is (at least around your home) and will aid in reducing the population of critters to a tolerable level. There will still be plenty of food source for them where you live......just not in your yard and flower beds. You think you have lots of chipmunks now?........You better get a lot more buckets!

MikePro

kinda like my Cockroach fix that killed approx 3000 cockroaches in the boilerroom of my frathouse over the course of a couple years in college:

Just need one tall metal bin (I used a Folger's Coffee Tin) with a piece of bread in the bottom, and lube the inner walls of the tin with vaseline.
Bread molds, attracts the cockroaches, and they crawl in and can't get out! Once it fills up, just put the lid on and seal with duct tape and toss in the dumpster. Repeat as necessary until you can just leave one down there permanently to keep catching the stragglers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have lots of turkeys that have been really doing some damage, but instead of shooting them or killing them, I throw a pack of inchers out and they fly and run off like crazy. They're beginning to get the message. They're no longer roosting in our trees or even resting anywhere around on the ground. Occasionally, a hen or two might come by, but they seem to be leery of stopping at the feeders anymore.....:rolleyes:

HulkSmash

I dont understand why people get upset over stuff like this, but the same day, they'll go home, get a mouse trap, set it. 90 % of the time, it'll catch the mouse non fatally and it'll sit there and suffer until it dies.

SignManiac

I personally feel electrocution is a more humane way to dispose of them. Enough voltage and they'll go up in smoke. Same thing as cremation. Get a bunch of little urns, put their ashes inside and sell on Ebay as a novelty gift. This will help you fund the seed for the birds.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cremation ?? I'll be cremating them this weekend. No urns needed.... I just return them dust to dust.

I originally used my .38 on them and someone here called it a 'Pink Cloud'. I never heard that term before, but that's exactly what it was.

Mike F

If you want I'll come out to Reading this weekend and shoot as many as I can free of charge, then you won't have to feel bad about them drowning :thumb:

randya

Let's see,

You have a bucket
You have water
You have chipmunks

Seems like you are just fire and seasonings away from chipmunk stew.

SignosaurusRex

You got any solutions for demented crows, Gino?

My house has been under attack since Saturday morning. I've been woken up at the crack of dawn every day since then (not so bad during the week) by a crow sitting right above my window and screaming at me! When I was trying to sleep in on Sunday, I was woken up by what sounded like someone knocking at a window. I went downstairs to see what all the ruckus was only to find a psychotic crow destroying all our flowers in our window flower boxes!! I tried feeding them a molotov sandwich, but they didn't bite. Since then we've acquired a pump action air-soft gun but they're so sneaky I've yet to nail em. I might even resort to the .22 if they wake me up this weekend.

Crows are extremely intelligent as well as relentless hecklers and of anyone that chooses to inhabit what the crow considers it's territory regardless of who was present first.....at least until they see one or two of their own dead, left in plain sight for a few days at which point they will generally leave the area. The problem is getting that first one or two. The trick is to put out some dried (grain) corn that has been soaked in sugar water to feed them. Usually after a few days they get accustomed to that and then you can substitute the water with cheap high proof vodka. They get drunk, let down their guard and can't fly which makes them easy pickings. This works best if the recipient(s) of your wrath falls on the feathers of the one or two that are most responsible for causing your displeasure.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Interesting story, felt about the same having to finish off mice & rats caught in glue traps. Lid on the bucket and don't come back for a good 10 minutes or so.
Would this work to get rid of toads?
The come and sit in the dog's dish and eat his food.
They are not bothered by the dog and after he got sick from chewing on a few he will no longer go after them.
I don't know if the toads take a dump in his bowel or it is just their scent after they finish but the dog won't eat the food once they leave.

wayne k
guam usa

CES020

They aren't taking this so well..............

Attachments

• gino.jpg
    gino.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 61

10sacer

I know alot of ex-special forces guys that are looking for ways to hone their skills since Blackwater got booted out of Iraq and changed their name to something you can't pronounce. They come with suppressors and night vision - you know - just to make it sporting.