• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chip & Dale.......................

HulkSmash

And they brought reinforcements

Attachments

• 7thSpace_com_funny_picture-744.jpg
    7thSpace_com_funny_picture-744.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 85

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Color........

I said chipmunks, not hamsters and gerbils............. :banghead: . .:banghead:. . :banghead:. . :banghead:. . :banghead:. . :banghead:. . :banghead:. . :banghead:

Bring 'em on, we're ready. As of this morning, we're at 24.... and they're still all over the place. :frustrated:

HulkSmash

Hey Color........

I said chipmunks, not hamsters and gerbils............. :banghead: . .:banghead:. . :banghead:. . :banghead:. . :banghead:. . :banghead:. . :banghead:. . :banghead:

Bring 'em on, we're ready. As of this morning, we're at 24.... and they're still all over the place. :frustrated:

they brought friends. :)

Bigdawg

Just Me
I see your dilemma GIno... I don't like your answer to it...

I went to school with a guy named Marty Dunkle. Now Marty was a wild kinda guy who liked to really think things through.. he wasn't mean spirited (most of the time) wasn't known to torture small animals... and was really a decent sort of guy... much like you Gino...

so he had a little problem. Cats kept wandering on to his property and having kittens. And although we lived by a lake - he didn't think drowning them was the most humane way to kill them. Figured there had to be a better way that would kill them fast... so he gave it some thought.

Then he buried each kitten up to it's neck and ran it over with the lawnmower. Figure they'd die quick and not suffer, he could just hose off the lawnmower and throw some dirt over their little bodies and be done. I felt the same way reading your little story as I did when Marty killed the kittens.

Of course he did 2 yrs probation for his animal cruelty... even though he truly thought it was the best, most humane way to destroy them...

signmeup

I have a .22 cal air rifle with a big scope on it for varmints. I think it's a little kinder than slowly exhausting them till they drown. (I almost drowned once... I couldn't do it to something else no matter how much destruction they're causing)

signmeup

I beheaded a baby bunny once that the cat brought home. It was dying slowly from its wounds and I though the quickest way to end it's suffering would be to chop off it's head with the shovel. It's headless body hopped and thrashed around and it's eyes flashed about and blinked while it's mouth opened and closed making sickening chirping sounds. This went on for 10 or so seconds but it seemed like much longer. Never doing that again!

I found that if I shot squirrels through the head they flip and flop around for a short time but if I shoot them through the heart they seem to just drop dead instantly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I did start out by saying this was a disgusting topic. It's not easy doing this, but sitting back and doing nothing is not what I call doing something humane.

There is no easy way out of this. You either live with it or do something about it. Stop feeding all of the other animals seems cruel to all of them since they have become very dependent on it year round.

We've tried 'Have a Heart' traps, all kinds of predators' urine, moth balls, plugging up holes, shooting them with water spray, putting hot sauce and pepper around and some other home-made remedies to no avail. Nothing works. I've managed to ward off rabbits, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, squirrels and now turkeys... without much problems. However these little chipmunks are multiplying far faster than any other of the creatures around our house and neighboring houses. Everyone is complaining about the chipmunk problem this year. In fact, they are far worse than the stink bugs.

I can see murdering cats as being a cruelty to animals offense, but when the Animal Rescue league says shoot them, the Ranger's Department says shoot them and the first remedy on the internet is the water in bucket method..... I guess no one else sees this as being cruel. Survival. If they would stay away from all of the other traps, they'd be fine, but they have to be persistent and keep coming.

Living in the rural or country area.... these animals aren't a problem. We get the occasional mouse in the house.... no problem, but if we get a bunch.... we set traps. We have snakes all over the property, the Goddess doesn't even mind them. We have snake skins in our basement and even in the fireplace. We have gotten along with all of them for 25 years, but this year these guys are getting out of hand. Does that warrant drowning them ?? I don't know, but it's been the best solution and it works. No one hates killing and doing this more than me, but I have to try to stay ahead of these little critters doing all the damage.

signme, when I was about 5 years old, I almost drown also. I jumped into a diving well at a pool and no one thought I was drowning while I was flailing my arms around, until a cousin of mine saw me go under for keeps and not moving any longer. Another occasion, I was also burned over 60% to 70% of my body in a fire when I was 14. I still make fires and love building camp site fires and I enjoy swimming, when I can go. I don't let things that have almost ruined my life or killed me stand in my way. I get back up and keep on keepin' on.

I realize this is cruel, but I've tried all the humane ways and they don't work. This water & bucket things works and I was only trying to help others out if they experiencing the same problems we are. Again, I never said it was fun or nice, but one must keep a positive attitude... or at least distance yourself from what you are doing when doing this or you'll make yourself sick, because it is sickening to do. Carol will help do everything.... except pull them out. You have to look at them to do this and she can't stand to see them that way.

Believe me, if I could inject them all with a needle that put them to sleep, I'd do it or pay for it, but no one knows how to do that. We're at a lose and I just wanted to share.

I'm sorry to make any of you sick, but it is a part of life and sometimes you just have to do things you don't like.

CanuckSigns

I see your dilemma GIno... I don't like your answer to it...

I went to school with a guy named Marty Dunkle. Now Marty was a wild kinda guy who liked to really think things through.. he wasn't mean spirited (most of the time) wasn't known to torture small animals... and was really a decent sort of guy... much like you Gino...

so he had a little problem. Cats kept wandering on to his property and having kittens. And although we lived by a lake - he didn't think drowning them was the most humane way to kill them. Figured there had to be a better way that would kill them fast... so he gave it some thought.

Then he buried each kitten up to it's neck and ran it over with the lawnmower. Figure they'd die quick and not suffer, he could just hose off the lawnmower and throw some dirt over their little bodies and be done. I felt the same way reading your little story as I did when Marty killed the kittens.

Of course he did 2 yrs probation for his animal cruelty... even though he truly thought it was the best, most humane way to destroy them...

Marty sounds like a dick, the kittens would be terrified being burried, sure the actual death would be quick, but the lead up would be terrifying!

signmeup

I still go swimming. I just couldn't bring myself to drown something having nearly experienced it first hand any more than I could burn them alive.

Can't you make up something like a lobster trap and then take them on a trip once you have a decent bunch of them gathered up? I just think solving the problem you created by feeding wild animals should be handled better.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I still go swimming. I just couldn't bring myself to drown something having nearly experienced it first hand any more than I could burn them alive.

Can't you make up something like a lobster trap and then take them on a trip once you have a decent bunch of them gathered up? I just think solving the problem you created by feeding wild animals should be handled better.

Let me get this straight.... you want me to set traps and after capturing one at a time..... keep them alive by feeding them and giving them water so I'll be a nice person to them.... and then take them someplace and take all 284 of them far away and let them go ??

So, now I have to buy chipmunk food, get lots of water bowls, build a pen for them that they won't gnaw out of and keep their little butts alive for a few weeks..... are you crazy ?? That's more cruel. Ya know how many will die in that kind of habitat ?? They don't live in cages... and I have tons of these guys running around.

We're feeding birds. We don't mind who eats the seed, but the chipmunks are so many that they take this seed, plant it all over our property, dig up plants, kill off plants, making burrows all over the property, creating sink holes, planting this seed in rain spouts, gutters and under places we can't get to and we have plants growing everywhere and we don't really use poison around our property to even kill off weeds. It goes into our water table.

If these little guys would just take it back to their burrows and store it underground, we'd all live great together. I can't train these guys and they aren't going to re-train me as to how I feed other animals, so the next best thing for everyone is to scare them away. We've done that for the last two years, but this year it's out of hand, so we must exterminate them. They're nothing more than cute little mouse~squirrels.

Again, it's hard to do, but I don't know what else to do. Not feeding the birds at all was something we thought about, but if you want to treat these little guys like humans with feelings and emotions, then if they can't play by the rules they have to be eliminated in whatever fashion the law says I can do it.

Sorry to upset so many, but I think if confronted with this problem..... you'd all do the exact same thing and make your husband do the dirty work.

signmeup

Let me get this straight.... you want me to set traps and after capturing one at a time..... keep them alive by feeding them and giving them water so I'll be a nice person to them.... and then take them someplace and take all 284 of them far away and let them go ??

So, now I have to buy chipmunk food, get lots of water bowls, build a pen for them that they won't gnaw out of and keep their little butts alive for a few weeks..... are you crazy ?? That's more cruel. Ya know how many will die in that kind of habitat ?? They don't live in cages... and I have tons of these guys running around.

We're feeding birds. We don't mind who eats the seed, but the chipmunks are so many that they take this seed, plant it all over our property, dig up plants, kill off plants, making burrows all over the property, creating sink holes, planting this seed in rain spouts, gutters and under places we can't get to and we have plants growing everywhere and we don't really use poison around our property to even kill off weeds. It goes into our water table.

If these little guys would just take it back to their burrows and store it underground, we'd all live great together. I can't train these guys and they aren't going to re-train me as to how I feed other animals, so the next best thing for everyone is to scare them away. We've done that for the last two years, but this year it's out of hand, so we must exterminate them. They're nothing more than cute little mouse~squirrels.

Again, it's hard to do, but I don't know what else to do. Not feeding the birds at all was something we thought about, but if you want to treat these little guys like humans with feelings and emotions, then if they can't play by the rules they have to be eliminated in whatever fashion the law says I can do it.

Sorry to upset so many, but I think if confronted with this problem..... you'd all do the exact same thing and make your husband do the dirty work.
There's your answer. You created the problem and you know how to solve the problem. So... what's the problem?

I don't think any living creature deserves to be drowned for your amusement. And feeding the birds is for your amusement. The chipmunks are a side effect you didn't think about when you started feeding the birds. I don`t care if you kill them... I just don`t like your method.

signswi

Jerk, my 80 year old grandma used to do that to squirrels, it's insanely mean. At least kill them quick if you really need to kill them (which I fail to see the point of, nature just makes more).

gabagoo

Gino, ya have to do what ya have to do....

Me? Every morning I walk around the pool and rescue whatever insects are struggling to survive. spiders, beetles, even ants... bumble bees , hornets, i save everything and last week my wife got the skimmer out and actually saved a chipmunk!!!!!

I dread the day I open the skimmer cover and find a snake or something though....uggg

GypsyGraphics

i once jumped into a pool, fully clothed, to save a drowning lizard... and i don't even like lizards.

gotta be a better (faster/more humane) way gino

Baz

Small nukes? :ROFLMAO: ... Percussion grenades? I dunno ... With all the seed around your feeders it's pretty hard if not impossible for these creatures to not want to go there.

Personnaly i understand your method ... It is somewhat better than having a shooting gallerie in your backyard and poison would affect all the creatures. If the water buckets only work for the chipmunks i think it is a good way of disposing them. They are cute but they are rodents.

A quick Google search came up with this http://www.undergroundexterm.com/description.htm
Might be better to gas them .. Still allot of work for you to go around and smoke 'em but if you want to keep feeding the birds you will have work to do to get rid of the undesirables.

Colin

Gino, your feeding of the birds is kind-hearted, and no doubt brings pleasure in watching them. We too feed the birds all winter. But this buffet you've laid out is an unnatural one, and is the source and cause of your subsequent problems.

Why not try not putting out unnatural food sources for a year or two and see how it goes? I suspect that you will still have birds around, but at a level that the environment will naturally sustain.

Or maybe just feed the birds in the winter only, and with with rodent-proof feeders designed to not only make it impossible for rodents to get at the seed, but to also catch any & all falling seed. The other key thing to reduce seed debris is to use a high quality bird seed which has ingredients that all gets eaten by the birds. Most seed bought in stores has a lot of junk in it (cheap filler) which the birds kick off.

I know that "Wild Birds Unlimited" carries high quality no-waste seed.

Last edited:

randya

Gino,

I still think you are missing an opportunity here.
Chipmunk is good lean meat.
If not for you and your family, it is probably much better for your dogs than dog food with lamb, chicken and beef added.

Seems like the real 'problem' here is waste of life.
Perhaps, you should look at harvesting these chipmunks for food.
Just as dog food manufacturers use other animals as suppliments.
These are free range chipmunks, not locked up like most chickens, lamb and beef, so they don't suffer their whole lives being prepared for consumption as food.

As far as drowning and suffering goes.
If I am going to die, I would rather go down kicking and experiencing every last second of life that life has to offer.
Much better to me than instantaneously, at the end of a gun, IMHO.

Last edited: