• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chrome?

Jillbeans

I seemed to have the best luck using Gerber's chrome.
But that being said, I would rather go through 12 hours of labor and a high-forceps delivery than use chrome. I hate cutting it, weeding it when you can see your own pissed-off reflection in it, and then removing it on down the road.
Love...Jill

Border

The Oracal 351 will not last at all. I have used the FDC chrome over the years and it lasts quite well - Have some trucks running around with it for 6 years now and still look pretty good. I believe it's actually an Avery product. Get a sample of it as well as the oracal. Hold them together. The Oracal is very thin & flimsy, The FDC is quite heavy and sturdy. It will eat up your blades but it's the most durable stuff out there in a reasonable price range.

That said, I still am not a fan of chrome and try to deter my customers from using it. But some people want what they want so no sense loosing an account over it, just charge accordingly and give them what they want!
I would STRONGLY suggest putting down a layer of regular vinyl first and then applying the chrome on top of that or you will hate your life if you ever have to remove it.

DON'T use it on a horizontal surface.

Patentagosse

I agree with Border.

I bought a 5 yds of chrome from Universal Products (Avery) that is labeled as Premium Chrome, covered by a 5 years exterior durability. Since I haven't really time-tested this stuff (job was done last summer...), I can't write a review. I'm an Oracal 351 user usually when I'm asked for chrome... mostly because it cuts and weeds so well compared to all other thicker ones. I don't care for it's "removability" since I NEVER do this or should I mention that in about 90% of the cases, it's for truckers' licence # and the chrome is on top of black outline. In fact, there's always some "under-layer" so to speak. Way easier when we need to swap numbers...

J

john1

I have used the Avery 1 yr chrome mirror and it's going on a year or two now and it looks great still. Used it to cover a aluminum panel for a dump truck bed then lettered over top.

Whenever someone asks for chrome i always say it's a one year film and they then change to silver metallic cast.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I have used the Avery 1 yr chrome mirror and it's going on a year or two now and it looks great still. Used it to cover a aluminum panel for a dump truck bed then lettered over top.

Whenever someone asks for chrome i always say it's a one year film and they then change to silver metallic cast.

lucky.

Stuckup

You can remove Chrome with metal Razor Blades. LOL. Just jokes, chrome suks, Tyrant and the rest who avoid chrome have the Force with them.

BROWNDOG

if you do the chrome route, make sure you put it over vinyl, especially if your going to be doing the removal when it fails,
i have had some last a little longer when clearcoated or laminated

natedawg9640

I guess i'm still a supporter of chrome. We don't have these problems with it. we pay for the premium stuff not the metalized stuff, and all of it gets laminated, so maybe that why it hasn't failed us.

Fast Trax

I just make fun of customers who want chrome so much they 1) follow my advise and use proper materials or 2) get the F@# out of my shop. I would not wipe my rear with chrome vinyl. If you use chrome on anything other than a crap...race cars you care more about money that making quality signs. Sorry but prove me wrong....WAIT YOU CAN'T!!!!

Race cars are not lettered for long term. In most cases, if the car survives, the graphics are only intended to be on for a couple of months.

Suz

I was gonna say, "Oh Man!" That is not appropriate though, so...
"Oh Woman!" Haha Jill, you are so funny! Loved it! :thankyou: I guess chrome does not get your stamp of approval. I'll remember that as I wanted to try it. In the screenprint world, anything with metallics fades when exposed to heat. So, if it is a tee shirt with metallic ink, it looks dull after the clothes dryer. However, I did discover recently an ink by QCM that is a fine glitter instead of metal. Looks like metal though and the heat does not change it.

Any luck finding a fine glitter printable vinyl that looks like metallic but isn't? Just food for thought. (?)

I seemed to have the best luck using Gerber's chrome.
But that being said, I would rather go through 12 hours of labor and a high-forceps delivery than use chrome.
Love...Jill

MikePro

I guess i'm still a supporter of chrome. We don't have these problems with it. we pay for the premium stuff not the metalized stuff, and all of it gets laminated, so maybe that why it hasn't failed us.

+1 here, as well
might be overkill, for something that might fail before my cast overlaminate does, but i've got a few 3+year old chrome vehicle graphics still going strong & lookin' sharp!

edited: actually, i DID have one failure... and it was a 3'x6' field of chrome that I rushed out the door without properly post-heating. One hot sunny-day, caused a HUGE bubble to form that I was not able to fix without replacement.