• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Client's email leaves me at a loss for words...

pointjockey

seriously, I cant believe that you are still dealing with this. You should have gone ahead and made the changes for him, as you have wasted some much of your "Free Time" dealing with him and posting here.

I have now invested 4 cents and I'm out of here.....LOL

See how easy that was!

Mosh

I have this scout troop we "donated" banners for. Now every year they come in wanting the design updated on a CD with the new date. We did it no problem until we found out they get t-shirts every year from another company using our updated design. This year we put it on a CD at 75 pdi. They complained and I told them I would give them a refund and they could not figure out what I meant.

BTW the shirt guy told them they were getting them at cost $12 a shirt (white shirt one color print)
Same shirt printed from us would be retail $8 each.

GypsyGraphics

seriously, I cant believe that you are still dealing with this. You should have gone ahead and made the changes for him, as you have wasted some much of your "Free Time" dealing with him and posting here.

I have now invested 4 cents and I'm out of here.....LOL

See how easy that was!

NO I shouldn't have made the changes... I'd never be rid of them if I had.

They have their files, they can do whatever they want. Unless what they want is me to do it.

pointjockey.... you know you want to see what the loons sent me today....
sorry, but it'll cost you 4 more cents

I'm soo over them, not even answering their emails. They are so outta their minds..... it's funny.

pointjockey

I've moved on to "Lease Prices & Negotiations" !!!! Come put your two cents in...lol

NO I shouldn't have made the changes... I'd never be rid of them if I had.

They have their files, they can do whatever they want. Unless what they want is me to do it.

pointjockey.... you know you want to see what the loons sent me today....
sorry, but it'll cost you 4 more cents

I'm soo over them, not even answering their emails. They are so outta their minds..... it's funny.

pointjockey

I'm gonna remember that trick!

I have this scout troop we "donated" banners for. Now every year they come in wanting the design updated on a CD with the new date. We did it no problem until we found out they get t-shirts every year from another company using our updated design. This year we put it on a CD at 75 pdi. They complained and I told them I would give them a refund and they could not figure out what I meant.

BTW the shirt guy told them they were getting them at cost $12 a shirt (white shirt one color print)
Same shirt printed from us would be retail $8 each.

GypsyGraphics

Each email came with it's own Zipped file of 5+MB. Haven't and won't be opening any.

first email of the day...
Gigi:

I am sending you a bunch of files that are scanned images with changes Boopsie wants. Most of them are pretty straightforward. On the logo, I think we have an old version because th newer one you made looks better and has quotations marks around the ____.

I am also sending a postcard we made recently in Microsoft Publisher.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We did the best we could with what we had and I hope you can work with it. If not, it is okay. The most important thing is that we need your feedback to make sure it looks professional and that we have not missed anything. Plus, we need to make sure if follows the post office rules. On the side with the strip of pics there is supposed to be room in the bottom right corner for address labels. I am sending that file first. It is attached hereto.

Thanks Gigi.
Bob

___

second email of the day...

Gigi:

I am trying to attach all of the other files that need to be changed into a compressed file. Please let me know if it works okay.

Thank you.
Bob

___

Third email of the day...

Gigi:

I had meant to cc myself on the files I just sent you from Boopsie’s mail account and forgot to. Can you please include me on any and all correspondence? Since I have immediate access to my email it will help us to expedite. Boopsie is in a little bit of a rush with these items and hope not to lose too much time.:ROFLMAO:

I added cc on this one so that you have the right email address.

Thank you.
Bob

NOW THAT'S FUNNY

GypsyGraphics

To add to the funny...
The next email I received was from the United Way, the director would like to meet with me...

"We have many opportunities for great Volunteers, and I know you are one of those!"

I feel like I'm being PUNK'D!!!!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sadly, i'm not this emails for real

Last edited:

earplug

Be prepared for the phone call. "Bob, I'm sorry you find this hard to understand... Yes, I am sure it is upsetting... Bob, I don't blame you. But the facts are that ever since receiving final payment identity project, 10 years ago: I've been donating time to Boopsie's cause - 62.5 hours to be exact - which has resulted in over $6K in lost income for me. I can't afford to be that generous with anyone, Bob. It's not personal."

Jon,

While your quote of $6k in lost income is correct for THAT customer in reality the loss is more like $12k!

$6k in lost billing to Boopsie and $6k in lost "opportunity" billing that could have been done for another client.

GiGi,

This is a VERY expensive client in dollars and emotional energy. Ask yourself how many Billable Hours have you spent just on this post? The fact that they cannot make decisions nor run a profitable business is NOT YOUR PROBLEM! Give them the files in any format you deem appropriate and send them on their way with no regrets.

Jack

GypsyGraphics

Jon,

While your quote of $6k in lost income is correct for THAT customer in reality the loss is more like $12k!

$6k in lost billing to Boopsie and $6k in lost "opportunity" billing that could have been done for another client.

GiGi,

This is a VERY expensive client in dollars and emotional energy. Ask yourself how many Billable Hours have you spent just on this post? The fact that they cannot make decisions nor run a profitable business is NOT YOUR PROBLEM! Give them the files in any format you deem appropriate and send them on their way with no regrets.

Jack

Jack, yes I've spent a ridiculous amount of time on these folks, reviewing my records, communicating with clients who only hear what they want, no matter what I tell or write them... and even more so... the stress and worry of handling this properly. With finality!

So, yes yes yes, billable and personal hours just lost, with no financial pay-off.

However, the process of dealing with this is not entirely without pay-off. Not only was posting here a HUGE outlet for my stress, but to have a place to come, unload and then be the recipient of advice that I wouldn't otherwise had access to..... PRICELESS!!!!!

I was actually worried many times as I posted that, this is not the place to be venting, worried about the whole "soap opera" or "drama queen" was so unprofessional. And yes, at some point you read this thread as say to yourself ENOUGH ALREADY! But the fact remains, this is real! Real in it's drama, humor, ridiculousness and the time I spent dealing with it.

Could I have put this to rest more quickly as suggested by many? No, I don't think I could have. There were lessons to be learned, policies to reconsider and realization that needed to be addressed. And as much as I wanted to be hard-nosed, stop flip-flopping and just put my foot down... I can't just change my personality. That's where the flip-flopping came into play.

In the end I took the word of wisdom from so many here... incorporated the direct, logical and concise approach to the part of me that wanted be nice. Nice to a fault initially. Much as I try, I can't set my personality aside even if it would sever me well in business. But the beauty in this whole process was to see that I could do both, be kind and direct and in the end get what I want. Which was, to be fair, be nice (without being a doormat) and be rid of them!

Big big lesson for me..... nice doesn't mean doormat!!!!

I think you guys are better at not letting that happen. But I know for a fact, from pm's received since starting this thread, there are other struggling with the same issues. So if some were bored with this thread and moved on... that's fine. Hopefully they derived a little humor/entertainment and surely some in-site from other posters.

I think if I was to say: It was good for me, was it good for you? There might be a few yes'.

Gypsy you need to start a new thread "How to fire a client"

Dice, should I post here how it ended or does the how it ended not matter.... just that it worked.

After this thread... do you really think anyone wants MY advice on how to fire a client? ME... the person who thought "if I only could look like that cool cookie, tough baby in your avatar."

Just a side note: that gansta hat I mention, the one I wear in the shop and sometimes on installs... that I thought makes me look tough... had it on yesterday... told some one over the phone "you don't wanna mess with me today, I got my gangsta hat on today." I conveniently forgot to mention that fact that I was sporting pig-tails under my gangsta hat.

See... nice & tough! works for me

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I enjoyed it, but then again, I have no one to vent to except a dog, and 2 parrots, the parrots could care less and I like the dog too much to stress her out... if I had an employee, they would get paid to hear my venting (and maybe even a hefty bonus)

GypsyGraphics

Rick, you mean to tell me that crown didn't come with henchmen?

That gives me an idea... I'm turning in my gangsta hat for crown, henchmen included. When a client no longer pleases me, with the wave of a hand, my henchmen will drag them away. If they go quietly fine, if not.... off with their heads!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have henchmen and minions at my bidding, but how would it look if I, the head kingpin complained to these characters, it would jeopardize my whole plunderbund operation...

earplug

Gigi,

Being nice to people is not a personality flaw. What you have found out is this situation presented an education/experience problem. You just didn't know how to deal with a customer with this type of personality an how to say "no" nicely. It is very easy for all of us to sit here behind the keyboard and say "fire the nut". But face-to-face with the customer, especially one you have had a long term relations with, it becomes much more difficult.

In my business (my wife has the Sign Shop) I sometimes cave to customer service problems and give things away. But usually only once per customer. In my industry I have a great reputation for customer service since I go the extra mile to please the customer. But it does cost me money. Customers have told me "since you won't fix them for free (for the 3rd or 4th time) I'll just throw them away". When I get off the phone I feel bad. But it goes away when I realize how unreasonable the request was.

I think that what we have all learned from this post is we all have a difference tolerance for the abuse customers can put us through. Since this customer, through the previous companies, were OK to deal with a couple of "minor changes" did not seem like much. A little here, a little there over time was not really noticed.

The BIG change that was missed, in my opinion based on what i have read, was the wife decided to go into business without much experience in what she was doing. The evidence was that she had to change her products and pricing much to often. Now the husband is trying to bail here out. My read is one of two scenarios - one is that they really are dumb and broke. Or, since now you only seem to be dealing with the husband, that he is very sharp and is attempting manipulate you and your great personality.

It seems like everyone is using the "times are tough" story. We have all seen it and on some business people it works. As much as we would like to help and lower our prices if we give things away then times will be tough fur us to. Charity is to help people out and not necessarily "business". The next argument will be that business are people. True, but not all people should be in business just like I can't be an NFL, NBA, NASCAR star either.

As you said the education is PRICELESS. The best thing you did for yourself we start this thread. Controlled venting is good for the soul. Don't let this customer get you down. They are playing a game with you, learn the game. Many "artist's" go broke because your brains are wired a little different and you tend to have more empathy than the ruthless nature of business. Doesn't mean you can't be successful you just need to recognize this and set up some boundaries on how you let customer treat you. The fact that you asked for help means you are learning.

I for one would like to know how this ends up.

Jack