• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Committees...

Deaton Design

Been working with a committee on a routed/carved sign now for about six months or so. Actually, there was a span of about five months where they were trying to get the funding together. There are about five women on this committee and they all have different ideas. I have made numerous changes to the initial design, and most of it is nitpicky stuff like colors and such, but Im at the point where I told them this morning, any further changes would be billed at 50.00 per hour and added to the final price. They have went back and forth from one color to the next and sizes of this and how far this would be from the posts, etc. I think by telling them that it will now cost them for any further revisions, they may be able to make up their mind. Its ridiculous. Just needed to vent a little about it.:thankyou:

threeputt

Been there done that. One of the most frustrating aspects of this industry.

Since they are a bunch of people volunteering their time, they don't view your time as of great importance.

Mosh

Since they are a bunch of people volunteering their time, they don't view your time as of great importance.

This is true! I cringe when there is a "committee" involved. I now just tell them that I will only deal with one person, and only 2 rev are included. After that it is normal art charges.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Church committees, city hall committees, charitable committees..... they're all the same.

Here's hopin' ya got a big fat deposit. Once you put pressure on them, they feel betrayed. They don't realize you're running a real business, while they're just out spending someone else's money. They act like it's their own.

:rolleyes: Sounds kinda familiar..... where have I heard that same thought recently............. :banghead:

weaselboogie

A Camel is a Horse designed by a Committee

They feel the need to incorporate everyones crappy idea because everyone is afraid to hurt anyones feelings. I actually got one time " hey, this old photo of 30 people in uniform infront of an ornate building... we thought that would look great if it were a pencil drawing instead of a photo. Could you redraw that .... we'll need this by tomorrow morning ( after 6pm when he called ) "

The best way to handle is exactly what John said... couple of minor changes, $X amount after that. I'm always amazed how quickly people reach a decision when it's on their dime.

Deaton Design

I went to two meetings with them to get things going, then they have had about six or seven meetings since then. Every time they have a meeting, they come back with changes, and most of them seem to be just throwing rocks. Im at the point where Im happy to do the work, but Im not jumping through anymore hoops unless they pay me to.Its just like threeputt said, they feel my time is not important, or at least I feel that way now, so Ill see now if they can get satisfied. I like that Camel thing Greg...lol....

Pat Whatley

They're just like politicians. They all want to have SOME input in the final product so they can justify their existence. The final result doesn't matter as much as them stroking their ego.

Marlene

committees are the worse of the worst to work with. suggest that they decide on a direction as each re-draw will cost them X amount and it is amazing how fast they can decide. of course they will run you around if they don't think it will cost them.

Jillbeans

I hate them too.
I'm about to deal with my first committee in many years on Monday night (April Fool's Day) and dreading it. They can suck the inspiration right out of you.
On the other hand, I've had a client that can be an entire committee unto themselves, wanting to nitpick EACH letter in a busy layout, then insisting that they shouldn't have to pay for revisions!
Love....Jill

WildWestDesigns

On the other hand, I've had a client that can be an entire committee unto themselves, wanting to nitpick EACH letter in a busy layout, then insisting that they shouldn't have to pay for revisions!

Got one of those as a digitizing client right now. At least y'all can still do X amount extra for revisions. For digitizing there are two standards: Stitch Count and Flat Rate.

Flat Rate is obviously not going to get it for revisions, but Stitch Count only gets it if the revisions call for more stitches. Some do, some don't.

thesignexpert

This is true! I cringe when there is a "committee" involved. I now just tell them that I will only deal with one person, and only 2 rev are included. After that it is normal art charges.

These are words to live by in our industry. One design contact who is responsible for communicating ALL of their desires/artwork/color preferences etc., 2 revisions, and anything after that will be charged hourly. This will keep everyone sane and, more importantly, will make sure all parties are aware of the process upfront. Your time is valuable and must be treated as such but you can't get mad if you weren't clear from the beginning.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I bill for my design and every change, so the only thing frustrating about committees are the constant changes... come invoice time, and when I get paid, I'm reminded why I deal with them.

One way for a committees to know how ineffective they are is billing them for every change and presentation.