• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer Wattage............

Shovelhead

is there way to find out the wattage that your devices are putting out....
kinda like belarc.com????
Grazie

Techman

yes.. look ate wattage on the back of the components. You will be surprised..

A 400 watt power supply in the CPU and a 130 watt monitor plus the laser printer that uses about 200 in idle.. Or, if you have a Phaser color printer that sits there using around 330 watts in idle. Add in the power used by your power conditioner/backup. It don't take long to use up $30 bux a month in power..

Shovelhead

I have a 500w supply......

I was concerned with wattage compatibility for additional hardware....
like if I wanted to add an external hard-drive or a super graphics card.

signage

The wattage requirements for the hardware you have installed should be added up and that would let you know how much of the 500watts you are currently using. Hope this helps

njsigns

Shovelhead said:
I was concerned with wattage compatibility for additional hardware....
like if I wanted to add an external hard-drive or a super graphics card.

I have run many more things on a significantly smaller power supply. I would say that most external hard drives have their own power supply built in. I personally build my own external drives by getting the largest drive off Tigerdirect.com that I can afford (usually with a rebate too) and I buy external drive cases off of eBay. Put it together myself, and save about 100-150 bucks. It's really quite easy, I also get USB and Firewire options on the external for a fraction of the cost. Hope this helps...

Gene

Cadmn

shovel you can look all the wattages up on each component & it will suprise you but 500 is usually well within normal units range now if you run 5 extra Hds& 4 extra dvds then start figuring but 5 will cover a lot of stuff.