• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computerized Cutters for channel letters, Beware

westsign1

My partner purchased a 5 month old used machine that only made about 5 to 10 letters for making channel letters. The guy thought it was a lot easier to be in the letter business. I wanted the model 26 that does everything this one only does .032 & .040. When he called Computerized Cutters to transfer warranty and purchase an option he was sent an email saying they wanted $2000.00 for the transfer for basically a brand new machine. I was so mad and upset with them, they must NOT make a good piece of equipment if they will not transfer for free. They talk real nice and their sales person was so nice and seamed so honest my partner felt comfortable dealing with them. This machine was going to be for the short term and we were going to sell it to one of our wholesale people and buy the model 26. I WOULD BUY NOTHING FROM THIS COMPANY NOW just wanted everyone to know how bad they are. Every responsible company transfers everything for free or a few bucks for the paperwork. Our flatbed company charged us $25.00 to transfer warranty to cover their time

netsol

Premium Subscriber
while my sympathies are 100%!with you, you did have the opportunity to check on this BEFORE YOUR PURCHASE. we have 6000 sq ft, full of used equipment we purchased &'NONE of the manufacturers make it easy.

we bought a stratasys, 4 years ago, which is still not 100% functional, since stratasys will not release service bulletins. we have a Canon Oce' that almost got a friend, (a canon parts manager) fired, for trying to purchase some fixtures for me & our latest acquisition, the mutoh vj1617h hybrid, we can not join "mutoh club" meaning we can not download value added software such as status monitor.

what do i have to say regarding these three situations? (sorry i can't find the emoji with the raised middle finger)

any manufacturer has the right to say your warranty is not transferrable and charge a fee. is it right? OF COURSE NOT, for a unit that is a few months old, any more than mutoh should tell me i DID NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to purchase a used mutoh if it didn't come from an authorized dealer. but we did and life goe on.

THINGS HAVE A WAY OF EVENING OUT...
i saved quite a bit of money, and went into all my transactions with both eye open.
i hope you did, as well...

Johnny Best

I bought a 1985 Buick from a guy who thought it had a crack head, turns out it was just a freeze plug located under the manifold. Once in awhile things work out when you buy used things.

Z SIGNS

You bought a used machine.
$2,000 bucks sounds like good deal. Your going to need these people for tech support.
Can't expect them to warrant it to who ever is in possession.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Reoccurring equipment costs are a nature of the sign business. This past week we had to buy a new laminator because our old Seal unit developed a problem with one of the rollers -a problem we paid a couple grand to fix not even 2 years ago. The replacement: a new Kala Mistral 1650 65" unit. Our company owner had to drive clear down to Houston to get the thing because there were delivery issues and we needed it immediately.

When we got a second HP Latex printer we had to shell out a good chunk of money for an additional printing license for our Onyx installation so it could drive both printers.

We have a Computerized Cutters channel letter machine we bought used several years ago. I'm pretty sure we had some other up front costs that came along with it.

Dale D

My partner purchased a 5 month old used machine that only made about 5 to 10 letters for making channel letters. The guy thought it was a lot easier to be in the letter business. I wanted the model 26 that does everything this one only does .032 & .040. When he called Computerized Cutters to transfer warranty and purchase an option he was sent an email saying they wanted $2000.00 for the transfer for basically a brand new machine. I was so mad and upset with them, they must NOT make a good piece of equipment if they will not transfer for free. They talk real nice and their sales person was so nice and seamed so honest my partner felt comfortable dealing with them. This machine was going to be for the short term and we were going to sell it to one of our wholesale people and buy the model 26. I WOULD BUY NOTHING FROM THIS COMPANY NOW just wanted everyone to know how bad they are. Every responsible company transfers everything for free or a few bucks for the paperwork. Our flatbed company charged us $25.00 to transfer warranty to cover their time
Can you run it without transferring the warranty? If so, Run it till the wheels fall off.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
I bought a 1985 Buick from a guy who thought it had a crack head, turns out it was just a freeze plug located under the manifold. Once in awhile things work out when you buy used things.
a friend bought a 1965 porsche that he was told needed an expensive transmission rebuild.
it needed 2 orings and a $100 minimum labor charge

sometimes things DO break your way

netsol

Premium Subscriber
of course

in 1980 my crazy girlfriend insisted on buying a 65 mustang...

one day i borrowed my mother's 1976 pinto & lined them up side by side & showed her all the similarities

Johnny Best

of course

in 1980 my crazy girlfriend insisted on buying a 65 mustang...

one day i borrowed my mother's 1976 pinto & lined them up side by side & showed her all the similarities
She probably dump you when that pinto did not have racing stripes.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
a friend bought a 1965 porsche that he was told needed an expensive transmission rebuild.
it needed 2 orings and a $100 minimum labor charge

sometimes things DO break your way
We buy municipal trucks all of the time that are said to not run. 9 times out of 10 there is nothing wrong with them. Sometimes it is just batteries but they don't want to waste the time to get them started. We've been buying and selling trucks for 13 years and never had any major repairs, even on the absolute worst sight unseen buys.
As far as warranties, to me they are almost useless unless you have some catastrophic failure. In a production business, you fix the trivial stuff yourself to keep work moving. Warranties are like an airplane, if you crash it's usually at takeoff or landing, the in between is smooth.

MikePro

just get a letter in writing from the reseller that they will honor the warranty back&forth should the situation arise. We've been running that same machine without issue, and if you're buying a USED machine then why the hangup on a service provided by the company you're trying to bypass anyways?