• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Constitutional Carry in TX

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yeah but they aren't allowed to stop and ask for your... non felony card? I'm not sure how they would 'check' you right to carry without probable cause otherwise. Like if you're running down the road after a shooting, they can check ya. If you're slowly walking down the road with a gun on your hip after a shooting, it's no longer probable cause to search you, just because you have a gun.

Was it hard to get a license or something?

Well, it's an inconvenience. You have to pay $150 or something, schedule your fingerprints which is an inconvenience because they are all backed up. Then you have to find time to take the class and do the shooting test which all of them want to do it at night or on the weekends. Then you wait for the card... all this takes a while and al those steps will turn people off. Not everyone has the time and energy to do all steps and schedule all this stuff. I mean, I get the reason why you'd want a class and a shooting test... but make the class online so we can all learn about the laws on our own time... don't restrict it., but then again I guess the CHL teachers wouldn't like that. And the shooting test is fine but make it more flexible where we can go into a gun range and just do it when we want... not at 9pm on a Tuesday night or kill a whole Saturday.

Andy D

Yeah...that's cool. But you still don't have Constitutional (Rec.) cannabis.

Smokin' guns are one thing...but smokin' weed is another.

JB
Mississippi's "Supreme" court struck down the medical marijuana vote, that the voters had wanted 3 to 1, on a BS technicality...
That pisses me off! I'm not a smoker but there are sick people who really need it. :mad:

Andy D

Yeah and Texas is about to see similar idiots all carrying guns soon.
It's been Constitutional conceal carry here for a while & nothings changed as far as I can tell... maybe less people open carrying in Wal-Mart,
which would freak some "tender hearts" out.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It's been Constitutional conceal carry here for a while & nothings changed as far as I can tell... maybe less people open carrying in Wal-Mart,
That's what I like about Mississippi...but then again, when I go there, I feel like I NEED to Carry a gun.

Gene@mpls

Apropos of nothing- gunman shot to death in our hotel lobby in Round Rock yesterday- my wife talked to him, he said to leave, she did.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't have a tender heart but there are more stupid ass irresponsible people on this planet than normal people. This might be an unpopular opinion here but there's no good argument in my eyes for not telling people they need to have a bit of training and put in a smidge of effort if they want to legally carry. Just like with contractors licenses, which nobody takes issue with, it does tend to weed out the real low life knuckle draggers that we all live around. This is political theater. That's all these politicians do anymore.

CanuckSigns

Similar to when cannabis became legal up here, some people thought you would start seeing people stoned all over the place, impared driving would go through the roof etc. Turns out nothing changed, people that used to smoke still.do, those that didn't still don't and the government makes a ton of money in the process.

Andy D

I don't have a tender heart but there are more stupid *** irresponsible people on this planet than normal people. This might be an unpopular opinion here but there's no good argument in my eyes for not telling people they need to have a bit of training and put in a smidge of effort if they want to legally carry. Just like with contractors licenses, which nobody takes issue with, it does tend to weed out the real low life knuckle draggers that we all live around. This is political theater. That's all these politicians do anymore.
I agree, but if you give some cities and counties wiggle room, they will make it near impossible for the people who really need personal protection to have them, such as poor single mothers in bad neighborhoods.
Also, I don't worry about a 40 year old guy, who's shopping with his wife and kids at Wal-Mart while having a gun on his hip, I actually feel safer.... but I do worry about the 16 year old kid behind me in a huge truck, after he took a 10 minute test and then stayed up all night
playing Halo... If you worried about your fellow citizens acting wrong, there's a privilege that actually kills thousands and we can do something about.

Notarealsignguy

I agree, but if you give some cities and counties wiggle room, they will make it near impossible for the people who really need personal protection to have them, such as poor single mothers in bad neighborhoods.
Also, I don't worry about a 40 year old guy, who's shopping with his wife and kids at Wal-Mart while having a gun on his hip, I actually feel safer.... but I do worry about the 16 year old kid behind me in a huge truck, after he took a 10 minute test and then stayed up all night
playing Halo... If you worried about your fellow citizens acting wrong, there's a privilege that actually kills thousands and we can do something about.
I don't care about any of that either. I feel like if its as simple as just going and purchasing a gun then it will be too accessible to those that have no knowledge or respect for what they can do. I just don't like the idea of people that have never held or fired a gun before being allowed to carry it, open or concealed. I still do not see the point. You have to have a competency license to operate a forklift or a crane or fly a plane. or drive a truck or run a train. These things aren't there to make it hard on the normal people, its to keep the idiots away from the stuff they should never be touching. That is better for everyone.

Andy D

Which can you do something about? The 10 min driving test? Or do you mean staying up playing
Let me try again; we trust our lives everyday to other people, on our drive in to work & and the vast majority of people act in a responsible way, there's no reason to think that people will be dangerous just because they have a gun.
Most of the people I know who conceal carry are 30 something women, with guns in their purses, how many rapes & murders have been prevented because thugs now have something to fear.

Andy D

I just don't like the idea of people that have never held or fired a gun before being allowed to carry it, open or concealed.
I actually agree with you, which is why I keep a gun in my vehicle, but I don't feel comfortable carrying it. I have no problem with reasonable requirements... BUT (I could be wrong) I believe if a state wants to prevent cities from imposing unreasonable restrictions, it has to be all or nothing when it comes to gun laws.
Look at Chicago, to conceal carry you pretty much have to be:
1. A criminal
Or
2. A rich person with connections.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think
On your drive in to work you are ideally surrounded by licensed to drive a death machine individuals. Not just joe who bought his gun on his lunch break.
I think guns are great. I think idiots suck. And I think inconvenient policy helps keep the idiots out. Guns don’t kill people, just idiots with access to guns. This is just giving more idiots access.
Also, it would seem the 30 something single mothers already have guns…

Those 30 something moms don't need guns...they got bazookas

Andy D

On your drive in to work you are ideally surrounded by licensed to drive a death machine individuals.
On your drive to work you are surrounded by people who took a written test that a monkey could pass & then took a 10 minute driving exam that are on local roads that proved nothing...

There are around 35k people killed on the roads of America, if we want to save lives, lets raise minimum driving to 18 and to essential driving only. Making it harder for people to protect themselves does almost nothing.

Notarealsignguy

On your drive to work you are surrounded by people who took a written test that a monkey could pass & then took a 10 minute driving exam that are on local roads that proved nothing...

There are around 35k people killed on the roads of America, if we want to save lives, lets raise minimum driving to 18 and to essential driving only. Making it harder for people to protect themselves does almost nothing.
These are false equivalencies. So is your Chicago example. Without getting into more controversial subjects here, there are other factors that effect inner cities.
I dunno know why when it comes to guns that everyone can put blinders on to ignore the fact that most people are stupid but with anything else, we want to regulate shit so that the idiots are kept under wraps. I think that people need to start being honest with themselves and stop the team sports bullshit.

Andy D

And the other non-False equivalence I made is; if saving lives is truly what one intends, limiting rights of legal gun usage is not effective. Studies never show crimes prevented or lives saved by guns owned by law abiding people.