• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contest

D2S

Well I had an idea about starting a contest. Before people starting thinking this is another get a design for free we can work that out. Here is my idea we start a weekly or monthly contest where we can submit designs and have them voted on by the other members. The reason I am thinking this is I see a lot of people looking for feedback and wanting to get better so the more you do the better you get in my eyes. I know I want to get better so I think this would help me along with others. Also with each logo we can make fictious company names. And sometimes we can make it so it can be used with just cut vinyl while others are digital prints. Would people be interested?

Or we can always start an open challenge forum putting two members against each other. Just coming up with an idea or two.

D2S

How about this I will make the first challenge, shovelhead want to have a contest? and we can have flamey make the rules then we can just continue it on and on?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Although there’s nothing wrong with the concept, don’t most people have enough on their plate already…. to get engaged in a ‘Sign-Off’ contest ??

Putting people up against each other will probably be the fastest way to lose membership.

Some people are from entirely different areas and not everyone is in to designing. Some people here are fabricators, screeners and build large electric signs.

Not to be a ‘Party Pooper’, but the way its presently going…. is fine. If you want to further your skills, attach a drawing and let everyone critique it. Making this place into a competition battleground will only turn a site such as this into a few cliques and nothing will be accomplished.

Doing a group project as we did about a year ago… where a few set the boundaries and have a month or so to complete the task, such as 'SignCraft’ does in their magazine…is a much more fair approach to accomplish the same thing.

Flame

hahaha. I'm not going to finish something that OP won't. I made one out of fun but won't post it as he didn't want to do a contest. So if he feels like posting something up I'll snap a photo of it and show it.

As far as Shovel vs. astours, sounds good! Want me to put together the requirements?

D2S

alright first Gino,

It is not required if you have to much to do then do not participate, as for people getting worked up I hope people are mature enough. Like me versus Shovel is probably going to end up with me getting crushed but the point is I am going to do some design as will he and then we will get feedback. The thing is we are going to get the same instructions from one person and see how we interrupt it.

Flamey,
why don't you start a new thread for it to take place in, when you do make the guidelines, I think we should have a time frame a week sounds good to me and the criteria. What media it will be used, number of colors and information needed. anything we would need to make the logo for the company. If you even want to attach an image that must be used you may many customers do that to us. I think this will be fun and I hope we can have fun with it.

Shovel, best of luck to you man

weaselboogie

I say we stake out a pit lined with rocks. Tow opposing members garbed in animal pelt loincloths DUAL TIL THE DEATH!

The loser's head is impaled on a stake posted on the homepage.

Doyle

I know some people who have the skills don't have the time, and vice-versa, so why not make this like a daily or weekly lunchtime contest? Each contestant only gets 30 min or an hour to come up with something and submit it. You would get more participants this way I think. Trust me, I'm now officially a "Master of Arts!"

Service Sign Co

Make it really interesting and add a butt load of text to the imaginary company. I like viewing you guys & gals layouts, Joe's Pluming with an add.& ph.# is just to plain

Air Art Girl

what might be more interesting is if Fred came up with a company bio and info and we had each member add just one element to the design. I would have to sent back to Fred after each element was added and he would email it to the next contestant and see what we come up with. At the same time, everyone works on their own design and they get posted to vote on like Shagnasty's

THATgirl

Sounds fun but would have to be something that doesn't take a ton of time for those who are busy but want to participate!

Shovelhead

Sounds fun but would have to be something that doesn't take a ton of time for those who are busy but want to participate!

I'm on this site with nothing to do from 6-10 on the laptop....
beats watching the old lady's "how do I look"..."extreme makeover"...and all that other jazz on the boob tube.