• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel draw to Autocad issue?

SignManiac

A vendor I work who does complex welding and metal projects for me, uses AutoCad and regularly works with .PDF's, .DXF's and .DWG file extensions, from all of his other clients without issue.

I sent him a very small file in each of those formats and everyone crash's his computer. Mine were created in Corel X5. He is able to open and see the files, it's only when he goes to manipulate them in any way that the freeze up his computer.

My file was converted to curves. I sent him several files saved down to older versions than his and still no luck?

Any ideas??? Thanks

Techman

corel does not export dfx files properly. It exports graphics as points in stead of arcs.

Get the trial DFX Tools and see if it makes a difference on the exported files.

Service Sign Co

Corel fixed that problem with one of their upgrades,and also added the DWG import export filter. But I remember well when all of the points were a problem. Autocad saves memory by not showing curves on your monitor,hitting the re-gen resolves it.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have that same issue with Adobe Illustrator and AutoCAD.

With me, this problem ALWAYS happens when the OBJECT SNAPS are in operation.

Tell him to turn off the OSNAPS and see if that helps.

Sometimes, I have to re-start an ACAD file three or four times, and sometimes it's never an issue.

Does he have another CAD program that is used to drive a plasma cutter or waterjet machine? He might try to import it into one of those programs first, and then save it under a new file name and then take it back into AutoCAD. It's a lot of messing around, but it does help sometimes.

Omax (waterjet machines) has a really nice .dxf editor that fixes this type of problem.

JB

Techman

corel does not export dfx files properly. It exports graphics as points in stead of arcs.

Corel fixed that problem with one of their upgrades,and also added the DWG import export filter

I just tried the export filter in corel x3 and teh x5 trial.

It continues to export curves in dfx files with points instead of arcs.
That means when bringing it into some CAD programs it will have a stop sign instead of a smooth circle.

SignManiac

Thanks Curtis. Only on a few occasions have I had any success going from Corel to AutoCad. What surprised me most was my .PDF files gave him the same problem and yet all of his other client .PDF's work perfect??? Has to be on the Corel side if you ask me.

jemmyell

Try the DXFTool Std and Pro - they are free to evaluate

Hi Please try my DXFTool for CorelDRAW. Most users that work with AutoCAD and Solidworks (also Vectric woodworking products) will use the Professional Edition, but it is much more expensive so you should always try both and only buy the lowest cost version that meets your needs.

Standard

http://www.coreldrawtools.com/standard/index.html

Professional

http://www.coreldrawtools.com/professional/index.html

They were specifically designed to work together on the same computer so you can do side-by-side comparisons with no conflicts.

-James

SignManiac

Thanks James, I'll take a look at it.

Ok, looked at it, I like it, but have a question. If I buy the standard X5 version but decide to upgrade to X6 if and when Corel offers that, will I still be able to use this version I purchase with the new version?

Last edited:

artbot

i just switched computers and software for my cnc. and i had problems with my old .dxf exports. was getting runtime errors.

what fixed it was when exporting in the corel window was choosing a much older version of autocad. i went to the bottom of the list an chose autocad 2.5 (probably from the 80's). this instantly solved the problem and my toolpaths converted fine. there are many "autocad" export versions. about ten if i remember correctly. i noticed by choosing the 2.5 my optional tool height/color window was disabled. i'd suggest saving in all of them. and send those version as an experiment. it may solve the issue.

jemmyell

Hi,

I code in C++ so each version of CorelDRAW requires a new compilation. That said I have been supporting the original Plasma Cutters that bought V1 (written in VBA) for free all the way to the Standard Edition for X5. I plan to continue the policy. My customers don't buy a particular version, they make an investment. The license you would buy works with V12 to X5. If you buy the Standard Edition and want to upgrade later to the Professional Edition it only costs the difference in price.

So, yes X6 will be supported and your current license will work when that happens (on the same computer). If you have to move to a different computer then I give you a new license for free (within reason).

-James Leonard

Thanks James, I'll take a look at it.

Ok, looked at it, I like it, but have a question. If I buy the standard X5 version but decide to upgrade to X6 if and when Corel offers that, will I still be able to use this version I purchase with the new version?

Service Sign Co

The particular file in question froze up autocad when exporting a DWG from corel. So there is some issue, but not with points.
Anyway, I never heard if it worked out or not.

SignManiac

Day it did not work out. We gave up and I faxed him a copy with the dimensions and he rebuilt my file. I'm still trying to find a solution. I tried jimmy's software above and that's not working properly. Now I'm downloading the new service pack to see if there are any conversion fixes included in that.

jemmyell

Hi,

Could you send me a copy in X4 format? I don't have X5 here at my day job. Send to jemmyell at yahoo dot com if you can.

-James

artbot

one more thing. probably dinosaur novice advice that is best for my old cnc. when exporting,

your image should be line work with the line width set at minimum, rgb black (is my favorite), no angles, no special ends, and export the file at at 0x0y orientation on your monitor screen.

Techman

I'm using DFX tools for corel x3 with win 7. It does every thing I expect and works. My dfx exports from corel are just fine.

21stC

I realize I'm about 2 years behind on this one, but it seems that ARTBOT's suggestion is working for me. Exporting from Corel Draw X5 to .dxf, choosing any "export version" from the drop-down list between AutoCAD R2.5 up to AutoCAD R11 seems to give me a smooth curve rather than the angular line segments which look ugly when cut.

I'm not sure if using an older version of AutoCAD formatting will mean I lose other features in my drawing, but for circles it seems to do the trick.

-lauren
http://www.21stcenturymt.com/