• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Vs. Adobe....

signswi

Smart Guides were added to all Adobe products in CS4 and they're awesome. Learn the hotkey to turn them on and off on the fly for the times when it's trying to snap to something you don't want it to. Really, really nice for many things though and has really sped up our design work.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Smart Guides were added to all Adobe products in CS4 and they're awesome. Learn the hotkey to turn them on and off on the fly for the times when it's trying to snap to something you don't want it to. Really, really nice for many things though and has really sped up our design work.

I have used them in AI versions before cs4. I thought they were added in cs1 or maybe even earlier? As I have mentioned numerous times before, I don't like the changes in cs5

royster13

Sometimes we do things over and over many times before we take the time to learn better tools for doing the job.....I have used Illustrator for years and never spent more than a few minute looking at "Smart Guides"....They were in Version 3.0...

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
FWIW, the Dynamic Guides feature in Corel can be pretty annoying too. I usually work in Corel with that feature turned off.

royster13 said:
I have used Illustrator for years and never spent more than a few minute looking at "Smart Guides"....They were in Version 3.0...

Illustrator has had at least some snap-to behavior for a long time. To me it felt as though it has varied from older versions like AI4 and AI7 compared to the CS series of releases. I like how it works now (it's pretty accurate), although I tend to turn off the function when doing some careful path editing.

signmeup

FWIW, the Dynamic Guides feature in Corel can be pretty annoying too. I usually work in Corel with that feature turned off.

Yeah.. you sometimes need to turn it on or off. I assigned the "d" key to toggle it on and off. Much faster than opening the menu to change it.

What I would prefer is to have a key I could hold down to defeat dynamic guides only while that key is depressed and held down. This is how my cad program works... very fast and intuitive. Hey... maybe someone knows how to set this up?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Sorry to thread pirate, but for those of you not sure what smart guides can do, here is a movie I did some time ago. Shows how to use the guides to your advantage. Should have done sound if i had a mic, to explain why I did a few things I did. Not all shapes were done in the most efficient manner. I was trying to show how all the letters can be drawn with nothing more than geometric shapes

20+mb so slow downloaders beware

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5144854/vector trace 2.mov

royster13

I try and spend 10 or 15 minutes each days learning new stuff.....I have used Illustrator for years and just the other day I took the time to learn how to center an object on my art board.....I just wonder how much of my life I wasted doing it another way...

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I try and spend 10 or 15 minutes each days learning new stuff.....I have used Illustrator for years and just the other day I took the time to learn how to center an object on my art board.....I just wonder how much of my life I wasted doing it another way...

So, I'd be interested in knowing what's involved in doing this.

In Corel, just select object, then press "P"...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator

It is in the [align to] panel. Yes it does take a couple of clicks in AI

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-12-15 at 11.44.02 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-12-15 at 11.44.02 AM.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 95

royster13

I started in Corel Draw 3...After a few versions I started to dislike it...Crashed too much as I recall.....Despite not using it very much, I have upgraded Corel Draw all the way to X5....

Starting using Adobe Illustrator 8.0 (they offered competitive cross grade) and never really looked back.....

As far as easy, I am sure every thing is easier (in either program) if you take the the time to learn...I just have never put enough effort into it...

signmeup

There appear to be fewer keystrokes required to do almost any given task in Corel vs Illustrator. Whether or not this makes it easier would the opinion of the user.

CES020

When you select an object, it brings up tools across the top (the alignment tool buttons). One of them looks like a square. You can select "align to art board" (it stays on once selected), then you can align it vertically or horizontally by clicking the buttons to the right.

Or you can pick the "Align to selection" and it'll line objects with each other.

Sorry, I see Eric posted it already. No need to open any panels, it's there when you select something.