• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Vs. Adobe....

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'll add the parallel extrusion effect to certain channel letter jobs so the customer can clearly see the return and trim cap color in relation to the letter faces with the letter faces still kept in proper scale. Sometimes this works better than just showing a flat side view of the letter return and raceway. Depending on the job, sometimes side views with cross section examples of the electronics will be needed.

The extrusion dialog in Illustrator is frustrating to me. Unless I'm missing something there is no way to keep the letters fixed, facing forward and have a parallel extrusion grow out of the back of it in a given distance. In Corel, you can state how many inches up, down, right or left you want the extrusion to move in order to simulate depth. Illustrator always wants to shift the letters out of flat view, even with the isometric modes.

1. the customer wanted that type. 2. it's on a big 10' x 40' billboard. Not a tiny web page banner. I would have preferred using an extended sans serif face, like something from the Akzidenz Grotesk family.

Yeah, even if you keep the letters at a "0" rotation with no perspective, the letters will distort a little. On a client that needs to see some dimension, since some can't visualize the sign, I give them a pretty picture, a photo rendering usually impresses them (or at the very least understand what the sign will look like) Since bevel and extrude are in points, I will set CADTools to points so I can get close to a scale 3D rendering.

Here is a typical geek presentation, the 3D rendering was from an early presentation.

Attachments

• illustrator bowl.jpg
    illustrator bowl.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 103

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
GAC05 said:
No bashing from me, but I do have to admit I was expecting a little more in the examples.

The examples I posted weren't meant to be "best of" material, just enough to show I really do design signs for a living and do a professional job at it. If I was posting my best work I wouldn't be able to maintain the relative anonymity I have here and the freedom of speech that comes with it.

signmeup

You're talking about creative work that is done by hand.
I do pencil sketches then work up my designs on the computer and do a rendering so the client can see what I am proposing. Then I have full scale patterns that I can cut on the plotter for production of the sign... by hand. I appreciate Corels bevel function for these renderings as I do a lot of V carved lettering. My version of Illustrator won't do bevels. (CS4) My background training was in mechanical drafting so I prefer Corel as it more closely resembles an old fashioned cad drafting program. Illustrator... not so much. Too "artsy fartsy " for me. I especially love Corels "dynamic guides". Oooo.... and the new "fillet/chamfer tool"... it's primitive by cad standards but at least it's there.

CentralSigns

Don't know about this argument but had one in my computer. When I removed CS5 it took half of Corel X3 with it, making it not operational. Had to reload Corel to get things working again, so I guess Adobe wins.

signmeup

You can do this in Illustrator? I'll be gall darned... um... how?
(I have CS4)

Attachments

• BevelTest1.jpg
    BevelTest1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 87

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I wish the various bevel filters in different vector and raster based graphics programs could properly control how the bevel reacts to corners and grows to the center of the stroke.

The attached example, "RIBS," shows some of the problems that occur -especially in the letter "B". The lettering at top has no bevel, the second line has a vector-based bevel applied in Illustrator CS5. The bottom line has a bevel effect applied in Photoshop (with the usual bowled out rounded stuff happening).

One could spend a lot of time in a 3D modeling program to make some proper looking prismatic beveled letters. Or they could be carved by hand. I haven't seen any computer-based filters do the job fully correct.

signmeup said:
I especially love Corels "dynamic guides"

Illustrator has something a little similar in its snap functions. I remember Eric mentioning something about how he didn't like how they were changed in CS4 or CS5. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Attachments

• RibsThing.jpg
    RibsThing.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 84

SignManiac

I thought I would give CS7 a try after reading all the brew haha. So I downloaded a trial version from a Chineese website. No sooner than I rebooted after installation, and my computer blew up into hundreds of pieces. The flames shot up to the ceiling of my office where my building caught on fire too. Before I could call 911, my printers and router table were both destroyed. So my experience with Adobe cost me far more than if I had upgraded Corel. My mind is made up as to what product is the right choice for me.

signmeup

I wish the various bevel filters in different vector and raster based graphics programs could properly control how the bevel reacts to corners and grows to the center of the stroke.
I wish people who made signs with cnc routers had software that would do letters properly too. I always cringe when I see dimensional lettering that looks like your B.

Can you do a bevel all the way to the bottom of the letter like in my sample? In CS4? I can't figure it out. It stops at about half depth, like you show it on my computer.

(I bet Waynes gonna hork up something awesome out of SoftImage any minute)

rjpjr

I thought I would give CS7 a try after reading all the brew haha. So I downloaded a trial version from a Chineese website. No sooner than I rebooted after installation, and my computer blew up into hundreds of pieces. The flames shot up to the ceiling of my office where my building caught on fire too. Before I could call 911, my printers and router table were both destroyed. So my experience with Adobe cost me far more than if I had upgraded Corel. My mind is made up as to what product is the right choice for me.

:ROFLMAO: ...you misspelled Chinese!!

The rest is pretty funny to.

NONE of that would have happened if you had been using "the Right" version of antivirus software!! :ROFLMAO:

SignManiac

:ROFLMAO: ...you misspelled Chinese!!

The rest is pretty funny to.

NONE of that would have happened if you had been using "the Right" version of antivirus software!! :ROFLMAO:

iPad Ispell sucks, can't even auto correct Chinese right :Oops:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Illustrator has something a little similar in its snap functions. I remember Eric mentioning something about how he didn't like how they were changed in CS4 or CS5. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Happens in cs5, maybe in cs4 too. I don't know because I skipped cs4. In CS5 it automatically snaps to anything it finds that lines up to the point you are drawing. In cs3 you tell it what to autosnap to. So if you have a very complex drawing it snaps to a dozen different aligning shapes and you don't have control of it.

when I have time i should try a sample video